Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Snot Rocket etiquette on group rides....

I wasn't hit directly just caught some mist.

yea, it was gross

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    it was gross
    ride faster.

or ... fight back with the gross. go with a wet willy. or for a slightly more bold approach, dookie finger.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    They should swing off towards the yellow line and then blow that way. Or drop off the back.

That's utterly disgusting and takes little more than some common sense and basic decency to avoid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    It's my go-to-move when some stranger comes up behind me and sits on my wheel without asking if it's OK. "Oops, sorry, I didn't see you back there"
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    yeah, wheelsuckers deserve it. In a group under the elbow when you're at the back.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it's the same etiquette as anywhere else in life.... don't blow snot on other people.

It's pretty basic. Pull out of the group, blow snot, and rejoin.
    I think people underestimate how for the mist travels when riding at speed.

You did call out the offender and let him know he nosed you right?
    Last edited by tlg; 1 Week Ago at 05:25 AM. Reason: typo
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    It's my go-to-move when some stranger comes up behind me and sits on my wheel without asking if it's OK. "Oops, sorry, I didn't see you back there"
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    yeah, wheelsuckers deserve it. In a group under the elbow when you're at the back.
    And that.

Plain and simple, if you don't want to get hit with a loogie, don't ride close to others. I lead many rides and warn people during my pre-ride safety briefing that my nose runs in colder weather and to draft me at your own risk.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I lead many rides and warn people during my pre-ride safety briefing that my nose runs in colder weather and to draft me at your own risk.
    How exactly does that work? Snot mist easily lingers in the air for 1-2 seconds.
    15mph = 22 ft/s. So everyone has to ride 20-40ft behind you?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Plain and simple, if you don't want to get hit with a loogie, don't ride close to others. I lead many rides and warn people during my pre-ride safety briefing that my nose runs in colder weather and to draft me at your own risk.
    Good Lord. Do whatever you want on group rides you run but that's an absurd statement and expectation of people riding as a group.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Good Lord. Do whatever you want on group rides you run but that's an absurd statement and expectation of people riding as a group.
    Possibly for A-riders doing paceline. Otherwise, people should have enough wisdom to know that noses run in colder weather. It doesn't hurt to spread out a little. You get better training that way. And I will always warn people who ride close enough to get sprayed. After that, my conscience is clear. And I have absolutely no sympathy for a stranger who decides to draft me without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    How exactly does that work? Snot mist easily lingers in the air for 1-2 seconds.
    15mph = 22 ft/s. So everyone has to ride 20-40ft behind you?
    I don't know how scientific a fact that is about 1-2 seconds. Whatever works to keep you snot-free.
    Last edited by Lombard; 1 Week Ago at 05:47 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Possibly for A-riders doing paceline. Otherwise, people should have enough wisdom to know that noses run in colder weather. It doesn't hurt to spread out a little. You get better training that way. And I will always warn people who ride close enough to get sprayed. After that, my conscience is clear. And I have absolutely no sympathy for a stranger who decides to draft me without asking.

I don't know how scientific a fact that is about 1-2 seconds. Whatever works to keep you snot-free.
    um no, not possibly for a-riders. Definitely for anyone on what they are calling a group ride. Except group rides led by you of course. Are you still teaching people to unclip with both feet on these rides?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Possibly for A-riders doing paceline.
    C & D level rides will still be riding at 15mph on flats.

I don't know how scientific a fact that is about 1-2 seconds.
    So how long do you think snot spray lingers in the air?

RoadBikeReview Member
    C & D level rides will still be riding at 15mph on flats.
    Yes, but they generally won't be doing paceline.

So how long do you think snot spray lingers in the air?
    I don't know, I never conducted a scientific study. All I know is that when I follow others, I generally follow no closer than 1-2 bike lengths and have yet to get hit with a hocker.

-- Warren Buffett

Banned forever.....or not
    Yes, but they generally won't be doing paceline.

I don't know, I never conducted a scientific study. All I know is that when I follow others, I generally follow no closer than 1-2 bike lengths and have yet to get hit with a hocker.
    So you are saying that you don't draft on group rides?.......Nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    So you are saying that you don't draft on group rides?.......Nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing.
    Only if I'm very tired and know the person I'm drafting very well. Maybe that auto signature of yours should be changed to:

If you feel wimpy and weak and feel the need to draft, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lombard, I usually agree with your POV... but not here - not even close. It is NEVER okay to expect someone in your group to ride through your "mist". If your nose is that bad, ride alone or at the back.

And since we're on the subject. Please guys don't stop at the light, turn to your left and clear your nose right in front of the cars beside you. Yeah, I know, your aim is great and didn't hit them. Some of the **** we think is okay - peeing as a group, shooting snot on the ground - really isn't generally accepted etiquette... Basically, if you wouldn't do it standing in a group at your neighborhood pool... don't share with the general public.
    Last edited by OldZaskar; 1 Week Ago at 11:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    It is NEVER okay to expect someone in your group to ride through your "mist".
    Understood. I didn't say it was OK to expect someone to "ride through my mist". Note in my earlier posts that I always warn people that this is an issue.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I don't do group rides - mostly because I feel the road sharing / traffic law following etiquette of my local groups is seriously lacking.

That said, because my nose always runs during exercise I have perfected the art of the "air hanky". I don't even spray my wife when I need to clear my nose while we're on our tandem. Seriously.

I'd say the problem here is less about group ride etiquette and more about newbie nose blowers.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Good for use as a tactical weapon while racing, otherwise bend down and blow it at your feet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    Good for use as a tactical weapon while racing, otherwise bend down and blow it at your feet.
    No, it's absolutely not. Get real.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Wow. Despicable.

Not sure what's worse, that you actually do and think this, or that there are people ignorant/clueless enough to go on a ride with you in the first place while you do that. Pathetic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Only if I'm very tired and know the person I'm drafting very well. Maybe that auto signature of yours should be changed to:

If you feel wimpy and weak and feel the need to draft, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!
    What if you're tired and want to recover?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Are some of you serious??? about blowing your snot on other people, even if it's just "slightly"?

Me, I would never knowingly blow my nose into the air, even if it's a downward direction, if I knew there was a rider behind me, even if he's a complete stranger!! Do you blow your nose at strangers on the sidewalk too?? I usually slow down to let the stranger go around me before blowing my nose.

And if in a paceline, and I cannot move out of the paceline for whatever reason, then I blow it right into my gloves or my hands, then wipe it on my bib and wash my gloves later. Now some of you are reacting, "ewww how can you do that". To that I say, "well sh*t Sherlock, how do you think others feel if you can't stand your own snot?".

I call this common decency

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    What if you're tired and want to recover?
    I would then ride alone. As I said, I only draft people I know very well and trust that they won't do something stupid to cause an accident.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    Wow. Despicable.

Not sure what's worse, that you actually do and think this, or that there are people ignorant/clueless enough to go on a ride with you in the first place while you do that. Pathetic.
    yeah absurd ain't it. Really nothing to do with 'road cycling' per se but just having a clue in general.

What happens on the side walk if he gets a runny nose?

Now that I think about it my first date with my now long time girlfriend we went for a bike ride. I wonder how that would have went if I laid down the law about getting close to me and showered her in snot if she didn't listen?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast