Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102

    So i took a fall....

    I guess it was bound to happen? I was on the bike lane yesterday and decided to go in a driveway, I guess i was either going to fast or the bike wasn't angled enough to clear the drive way lip. The front tire rode the lip and couldn't get over it and I went down on the right side.

    I got up pretty quickly, huge scrape on my right knee, but I think I sprained my right wrist and my left shoulder is very limited it hurts soo bad. Im going to the emergency room.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,077
    I hope your wounds heal fast. You learned something about skinny-tired bikes. If you're going to go up a lip of any size (like more than half an inch) you need to hit it pretty square.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I hope your wounds heal fast. You learned something about skinny-tired bikes. If you're going to go up a lip of any size (like more than half an inch) you need to hit it pretty square.
    yeah Im so upset at myself, now I cant go riding last week I logged in 60 miles this week I was going for more!

    Since I'm a newbie I didnt really know what to look for on my bike. However, I was able to ride it home and at first the right pedal felt wobbly and then it kinda sorted itself out.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    131
    Ouch....sorry to hear this. Hope you didn't do too much damage....to yourself, or the bike.

  5. #5
    Uber Clyde
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    292
    Hope you're ok and heal up quickly.
    Once you've sorted yourself out, take your bike into your lbs and have them check it over.
    Especially the derailleur hanger.
    Since you went down on the right side, it could be bent.
    Which could become a very costly repair if you don't get it straightened before riding again.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mpre53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaseshift View Post
    I guess it was bound to happen? I was on the bike lane yesterday and decided to go in a driveway, I guess i was either going to fast or the bike wasn't angled enough to clear the drive way lip. The front tire rode the lip and couldn't get over it and I went down on the right side.

    I got up pretty quickly, huge scrape on my right knee, but I think I sprained my right wrist and my left shoulder is very limited it hurts soo bad. Im going to the emergency room.
    You're lucky. The last time that happened to me, I went over so quickly that I had no time to react, and took the impact directly on my helmet. What really hurts is that all of your momentum is moving to the right when the tire hits that raised lip

    The helmet gave up its life for mine.

    I had a mild concussion, though.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    108
    Don't let this dissuade you from biking, I had a few falls, silly type falls early on. There is a bit of a learning curve for sure. Keep on going and don't forget to breath.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: sculpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    219
    Ouch - best wishes for a very quick recovery. Make sure you get checked out and haven't broken anything. When your whole side/arm/shoulder hurts like hell, it can sometimes mask individual issues...

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    Don't worry guys I won't let this dissuade me from riding, I'm quite upset that I can't ride today. I'm sitting in the emergency room right now. It was very painful trying to drive 5 minutes to the hospital with my left shoulder limired and my right wrist
    Hurting like hell too. This hurts more than when I lowsided on my motorcycle at 60mph.

  10. #10
    Bike Enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    730
    sorry to hear about your fall. I will send a few prayers your way. hopefully you can get back on the saddle very soon
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaseshift View Post
    This hurts more than when I lowsided on my motorcycle at 60mph.
    This was more like a high side. You went over, not under the bike and leather usually helps.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mpre53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaseshift View Post
    Don't worry guys I won't let this dissuade me from riding, I'm quite upset that I can't ride today. I'm sitting in the emergency room right now. It was very painful trying to drive 5 minutes to the hospital with my left shoulder limired and my right wrist
    Hurting like hell too. This hurts more than when I lowsided on my motorcycle at 60mph.
    Don't rush it coming back. Gives us an update when you get the diagnosis. We've all been there, and given time, we'll be there again. Good luck.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    39
    Hope all turns out well, no broken wrist etc. Be sure to post follow up. Be well.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    well I just got back, fractured wrist and possible AC joint damage dor my right shoulder. ARRRGGHHH 6-8 weeks, Ive got to ho see an ortho see if i need a cast. I'm on a splint right now.

    Any tips on healing faster?

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaseshift View Post
    well I just got back, fractured wrist and possible AC joint damage dor my right shoulder. ARRRGGHHH 6-8 weeks, Ive got to ho see an ortho see if i need a cast. I'm on a splint right now.

    Any tips on healing faster?
    Bummer. Which wrist bone, what kind of fracture? Got x-rays you can post?

    Try to maintain some fitness while you're healing. If you can't ride on the road, you can still maybe ride a stationary trainer.

    When you get the splint/cast etc. off, and can start physical therapy, do it.

  16. #16
    Loading...
    Reputation: agm2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    474
    Let your body heal, it will tell you when it's ready.

    And it's always the slow speed crashes that do the most damage. High speed crashes you slide which dissipates your speed. Low speed crashes are impacts. Also don't let go of the bars. If you keep your hold of the bars your body acts as a ball and you can roll out of the crash. Remember balls roll and sticks break...

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    ill try to get some x-ray pics when the gf comes home.

    here is what the paperwork says:

    -QUESTIONABLE LEFT ACROMIOCLAVICULAR JOINT SEPERATION, THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF SHOULDER FRACTURE.

    -THERE IS AN MIDLY DISPLACED FRACTURE THROUGH THR BASE OF THE RIGHT ULNAR STYLOID.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    19,002

    Fast healing

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaseshift View Post
    well I just got back, fractured wrist and possible AC joint damage dor my right shoulder. ARRRGGHHH 6-8 weeks, Ive got to ho see an ortho see if i need a cast. I'm on a splint right now.

    Any tips on healing faster?
    Sorry to hear about the fractured wrist. Make sure the cast allows you to type!

    Keep as active as you can - blood flow helps healing of soft tissue and bone. That may mean walking for a couple of weeks until the pain subsides and then you can put the bike on a trainer. Make sure your diet has plenty of calcium.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Sorry to hear about the fractured wrist. Make sure the cast allows you to type!

    Keep as active as you can - blood flow helps healing of soft tissue and bone. That may mean walking for a couple of weeks until the pain subsides and then you can put the bike on a trainer. Make sure your diet has plenty of calcium.
    will do thanks guys/gals, I need to be proactive. like the idea of walking and riding stationary bike. Also I hope that the fracture isnt severe when I go to the ortho, and they'll just give me a better splint. This is just wrong timing cause I'm the bet man for my cousin's wedding and it's in 11 days.!! haha

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    11,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaseshift View Post
    ill try to get some x-ray pics when the gf comes home.

    here is what the paperwork says:

    -QUESTIONABLE LEFT ACROMIOCLAVICULAR JOINT SEPERATION, THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF SHOULDER FRACTURE.

    -THERE IS AN MIDLY DISPLACED FRACTURE THROUGH THR BASE OF THE RIGHT ULNAR STYLOID.
    The ulna is the smaller of the forearm bones, the one on the little finger side of the hand. The styloid process is the sort of triangular projection at the end of it, where it meets the bones of the hand.

    They'll probably put a cast on it, but you might get away with a splint. I broke the styloid process of the other forearm bone, the radius, in a crash, and was casted for 6 weeks. I actually got back on my commuter bike in less than two weeks, but I don't necessarily recommend that. My bike was a fixed gear with one brake lever on the left, so my right hand didn't have to do more than hang on. I couldn't have operated shifters or brakes.

    The shoulder separation might be the bigger nuisance.

    You should be able to ride a trainer in a couple of weeks, carefully.

    Hope all goes well.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    The ulna is the smaller of the forearm bones, the one on the little finger side of the hand. The styloid process is the sort of triangular projection at the end of it, where it meets the bones of the hand.

    They'll probably put a cast on it, but you might get away with a splint. I broke the styloid process of the other forearm bone, the radius, in a crash, and was casted for 6 weeks. I actually got back on my commuter bike in less than two weeks, but I don't necessarily recommend that. My bike was a fixed gear with one brake lever on the left, so my right hand didn't have to do more than hang on. I couldn't have operated shifters or brakes.

    The shoulder separation might be the bigger nuisance.

    You should be able to ride a trainer in a couple of weeks, carefully.

    Hope all goes well.
    I should invest in a trainer, about how much do those run for? And any good reccomendations?

    If the right shoulder is separated what kind of treatment comes with it? Sucks when both arms are immobile.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    186
    I had a similar crash last October. It was my own damn fault, but basically I hit some gravel while I was turning into an alley, and boom, down on my right side faster than I could blink. My shoulder was in severe pain for about a week, moderate pain for another four weeks, and very mild discomfort until January. It still doesn't feel quite the same as it did before the crash, but it's fully functional. I didn't go a see a doc, based on the advice of my dad, who is also a doc, but it was touch and go for a while.

    Beware of something called "frozen shoulder" where pain causes you to not move your shoulder, and then after a while, you feel like you can't move your shoulder at all. I'm sure the docs told you about that. I kept moving my shoulder enough to avoid it.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    well took my bike out for a ride today, I noticed that the chain was scraping on the front derailuer outer plate closes to my foot, which is the front one shown in this picture:



    I was on the smaller crank and it would scrap when I'm on the smallest, second to the smallest and third gears....

    side note: how do i know which gear is 1st?

  24. #24
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    8,760
    The derailer has probably pivoted around the seat tube in the hit. The cage should be parallel to the chain rings.
    .
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

    I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    The derailer has probably pivoted around the seat tube in the hit. The cage should be parallel to the chain rings.
    also I tightened the....what do you call that ughh the BB? a little and it helped and now the chain is actually catching on the other crank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook