Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

so mad at local bike shops

trying to buy my first road bike.
    Now I ride downhill, but had a few nasty get off's and decided it was time to buy a road bike.
    So I go to trek store in boulder, walk in start looking at bikes. Bunch of guys behind the counter chatting with these among themselves. So I wait around about five minutes, and they know I'm there but don't come over. so I just take the bike off the racks and start trying them for size, this goes on for about 15 minutes and finally I just walk about. What a bunch of BS, no help at all.

Next store in boulder, forgot the name but I walk in guy is dealing with another customer,
    No one asked me if I need help. wait for a few minutes for him to finish, now he has seen me and knows im in the store, then when finished with said customer, he goes to the back, I ask cashier where he went, and he went to lunch, and cashier can't help because he has to watch the counter, I left a little mad.

Then onto today. Went to pelaton cycles in fort Collins, , I had been there a few days ago and spoke to somebody about the bikes, very helpful, So I get there and she tells me, hes at the other store in loveland, so I say I will go there, arrive at store, He's not there,
    So I go back to the fort collins store, and start looking at bikes again, no help so far,
    then the lady tells me she does not have any for the bikes in stock in my size. Now this is what really pissed me off, the guy on monday I spoke to said, they have lots of 49
    s and 52's in stock

So now ready to give up on this whole road bike thing.
    So I'm going to just buy the bike online somewhere.
    sorry for the rant, it just makes me mad.

Slippery Old Devil
    Sounds like the tip of the iceberg. If you can do your own wrenching, buy one online. I have five LBS to choose from in a ten mile radius. Mine is awesome, one other is very good, the other three are fair, at best and they're all Trek dealers.

Go to Wheat Ridge Cyclery.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Go to Wheat Ridge Cyclery.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Just Plain Bitter
    Listen to him^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

mtnroadie
    If you can wrench, buy this.....

Titanium Road Bikes, Roadbikes - 2011 Motobecane Le Champion Team Ti

Ti bike with Dura Ace for under 3k= sweet!

If I was starting out and could do my own wrenching I get a BD bike, if 3k is too much check out there other bikes.

Seriously consider geting a fit first or just ask people here for fit advice, i am 5'7 and ride a 52 most of the time, no I am looking for a 49-50cm bikes. Dont jump the gun be patient get exactly what you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

I feel your pain

You have to keep in mind most(not all) bike shops are owned and operated by staff who aren't the most educated and enlightened when it comes to actually engaging in customer service. Its up to you to do the homework by reading the mags, websites and asking experienced riders. General advice-figure your price tolerance, then look at as many bikes in that price point comparing whats down graded in specs. Get a couple of opinions on size.
    Shops will try to sell you whats on the rack-not necessarily the proper size. Don't let a shop convince you the next size up is ok( a typical situation) The bike is generally supposed to fit you, not the other way around. If you can swing it, get a pro fitting then start shopping

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I have experienced what you went through in dozens of shops. And they wonder why people shop online.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks of all the info and opinions, I will take a trip to Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Get out of my way!
    Oct 2009
    I was in the same boat about five years ago. Don't give up on them. I found one that is just amazing and that is the only one that I go to. It is over forty minutes away but worth it. The four that are closer to me are garbage!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    +1 for Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Nice bike shop. I've only bought accessories there, but I've never wandered around in there for long (even when they've been really busy) without someone asking if they could help me. Staff seems knowledgeable there. I'd put WRC at or near the top of the bike shops I've been to in Denver. Wheat Ridge Cyclery

I don't know the Boulder shops, but I've always heard good things about Vecchio's. Looks old school compared to WRC, but I really don't know what they carry. I'm sure I'll drop in there just to look around sometime when I'm in Boulder. Vecchio's Bicicletteria

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    +1 for Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Nice bike shop. I've only bought accessories there, but I've never wandered around in there for long (even when they've been really busy) without someone asking if they could help me. Staff seems knowledgeable there. I'd put WRC at or near the top of the bike shops I've been to in Denver. Wheat Ridge Cyclery

I don't know the Boulder shops, but I've always heard good things about Vecchio's. Looks old school compared to WRC, but I really don't know what they carry. I'm sure I'll drop in there just to look around sometime when I'm in Boulder. Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    Vecchios is awesome- super helpful once you can get someone, but they can also be really busy. Also pretty high end, but man, the shop is so cool you kinda have to go in just to look around.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    Well - you're definitely in a good area for bike shops. The folks working at bike shops in Boulder/Denver/Fort Collins are probably better than average. I don't mean to discredit your rant, but sometimes people just want to come in and poke around and drool - don't want to be bothered/pressured by the staff. If you're really there to buy a bike, say so - somebody will help you. Excel Sports in Boulder is another good store, if snooty - you'll get some attention if you're looking high-end. I guess I'm just thinking that if you can't find a good LBS in Boulder than that's the demise of the LBS and I'd hate to see that.

That said - I went from MTB to road via BikesDirect. If you know your size and can do some basic assembly and be patient - it worked well for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I suggest contacting each store you had a poor experience with and ask for the managers email address. Then email each manager. A good way any shop can improve are when customers communicate with the shops manager.
    carbonLORD.com

"El Bwana"
    PM me and I can give you store ownership contacts as well as other ideas.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex View Post
    PM me and I can give you store ownership contacts as well as other ideas.
    thanks.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    in my area, I get about the same service as you do. Fair at best. I would love to have a bike shop that I feel my business is appreciated at.
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitts Pilot View Post
    Excel Sports in Boulder is another good store, if snooty - you'll get some attention if you're looking high-end.
    Interesting...I was in the area for a business trip last year and I figured, WTH, I might as well check it out since I've bought a lot of stuff from them online in the past. They were pretty good to me. Even helped me sort out an issue with my mailing address to resolve multiple catalog mailings.

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by RC28 View Post
    Interesting...I was in the area for a business trip last year and I figured, WTH, I might as well check it out since I've bought a lot of stuff from them online in the past. They were pretty good to me. Even helped me sort out an issue with my mailing address to resolve multiple catalog mailings.
    I never got the snooty vibe from Excel.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by PDex View Post
    I never got the snooty vibe from Excel.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Furthermore, in the past I had gotten the snotty vibe from the guys at Colorado Cyclist. But this had happened while getting them on the phone.

But during the same business trip I mentioned earlier I also went to CC...on a Sunday...and they were pretty awesome. Bought a bunch of stuff there.

Banned forever.....or not
    lots of shops suck at customer service. The owners need to keep on top of lazy shop rats. If they don't they won't stay in business very long. The idea of two or three shop rats yacking in the back while a customer wanders around for more than a minute, is very sad.
    It may not be worth the effort, but it would help if you let the owner know they lost a sale because of idiots.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

T K
    wasssabi
    See, now if I was you, I would have called back each of those shops by now and tried to speak to the owner or the manager.
    I know of places where the staff got reamed by management and the stores have totally turned around.
    Maybe the owners are good people and would love to know their staff is lagging. If I owned a shop I would like to know if some laggert was killing my business.

Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    See, now if I was you, I would have called back each of those shops by now and tried to speak to the owner or the manager.
    I know of places where the staff got reamed by management and the stores have totally turned around.
    Maybe the owners are good people and would love to know their staff is lagging. If I owned a shop I would like to know if some laggert was killing my business.
    This is why I'm afraid to have employees. If I do it all myself, I have no one to blame but myself (or the customer, if they're a lying piece of crap).
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    In my area of 5 bikes shops, one will always make you feel welcome that you came in and you will not be ignored. They often apologize for being busy if they are. Nor do I mind waiting in those situations. I can wait patiently as I know when my turn comes they will take whatever time I need.

One, the largest in the area seems to have 'trained' the staff the same in both of its stores. Not sure what you do to get waited on in either of those two places. Same experience as you. Have asked for help and seen people walk in the back and ignore me instead.

The others are so-so unless you do spend significant money with them.

Guess which one I take my business to?

I would never have gone back a third time to these other places (I give any place two chances, you can always just come on a bad day) unless only they handle some brand I am looking for. And in fact despite that have never successfully purchased from these other stores. I ended up on several occasions buying it online as they didn't seem to want to sell it to me. By now, giving them more chances than they deserve, I don't go there at all. Why bother taking time and driving a few miles for their brands when I can have it delivered, usually cheaper in a couple days to my house.

The one good store if they have it and I am buying it, I give them my business. They earn it.

I find all the talk of your LBS needs your support etc. etc. mostly just BS. They are pushing people to buy online with how they do business. You really are going to have to give something extra of value. Long gone are the days when simply being there people will need to buy from you. Unfortunately most LBS are about a decade behind the times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bad service is bad service. I have allways said I would rather hire no experience and great attitude then the reverse.

I vote with my wallet, if u fail to earn my business then that's on you. Bad service is bad service.
    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast