Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Some guys got road rage on me today

Today I was at a stop sign with one car in front of me, and across the road was another vehicle in the opposite lane, also stopped at a stop sign (with no turn signal on). After cars pass by, the car in front of me makes a right, and seeing that the car across from me has no turn signal on, I go ahead and proceed straight.

Well, this guy with no turn signal on decides to make a left, narrowly after I pass through. Disliking that he used no signal, I say "blinker!" since he has his windows rolled down. I used no profanity or even an angry tone. I simply said "blinker!" loud enough for him to hear it.

Well I guess that was too much for this guy to handle. He then screamed at the top of his lungs, something along the lines of "eff you, you ***k-sucking mother effer." But that wasn't all.

He just had to turn the car around and come after me, because suggesting that he use his blinker is a horrible offense and I should be punished severely.

Noticing he's coming up behind me, I quickly pull off to the side of the road and try to get on the side walk, but end up accidentally riding parallel with the concrete, so I go down and skin up my knee. As the guys pass by laughing, one tries to throw something at me but misses by a mile. I thought this was my last encounter with them.

I check out my bike and see that the rim braking surface got scuffed up some and my shifters got scratched, but overall the bike is fine. However, my knee is quite bloody. Fortunately, I'm literally right next to my parents house, so I go in, get the wound cleaned up some and attach a big bandaid. My parents aren't home, but my uncle is outside working on the lawn, so I chat with him for a while as he shares his stories of dealing with motorists when he cycles.

After some time passes (20-30 minutes), I decide to head back home. About 4-5 miles later, on a different road, I feel a container of liquid hit me and the same idiots pass by. Thankfully, it did nothing but get me a bit wet, but I couldn't believe these guys were still after me. I guess they must have waited in hiding somewhere, watching for me to pass so they could follow and hit me with this drink. After that I never saw them again.

I guess some people just have nothing better to do.....

Not a climber
    Sooooooooooo did you get a tag number? Time for someone to 'lose' all the valve cores in their tires.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by eminefes View Post
    I simply said "blinker!" loud enough for him to hear it.
    He probably thought you said "wanker".
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some people are just idiots! I always carry my cell phone with me and I will not hesitate to pull it out and take a picture of any offender that may decide to give me grief. It sure will make them think of doing anything stupid and 911 is set on speed dial on number 1.
    You didn't do anything different than a driver in a car going straight and telling him the same thing.

Do what he say!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohn64 View Post
    911 is set on speed dial on number 1.
    Is that to save time dialing or in case you get struck by a car and forget the number?
    I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

No go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnewb View Post
    Is that to save time dialing or in case you get struck by a car and forget the number?
    Yes ;-))

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Wow. I feel terrible that you went through something like this. I'm in a bad mood, and it didn't even happen to me. Wishing you to get well and get back on the road again.

I'm very angry...

I'm Gumby, Damnit!
    Nice to hear...in a bad way, if that makes sense...that the Chattanooga/North Georgia area isn't the only place in the world full of morons.

Glad you're okay.
    Does this saddle make my azz look fat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I did not get a tag number. I need a new pair of prescription glasses, so I'm not sure if my vision would have been good enough to grab the plate while the car was driving away, anyways.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am sure glad nothing like this has ever happened to me. I always say to "Suck it up and keep riding" when a driver does something idiotic. Of course that is easy for me to say when these things have not happened to me.

Glad you are okay and that your bike isn't too baldy damaged.

Hanging 10 bra
    I tell you what...people change their demeanor once they see a cell phone out, esp if it looks like you are taking pictures. I was doing my normal 8-10 mile daily run and had some punks do similar things to me. I did call the LEO to my house and explained to them they are probably high school punks acting stupid, but I wanted to document the issues to ensure if or When I beat the snot out of them (for protecting myself), then I wouldnt get in trouble. I would go ahead and file a report, cuz if they live in the area or frequent that path, you could end up dealing with them again.

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    Dont yell at cars....youre just asking for trouble.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If someone pulls an illegal driving move that puts me at risk, they will hear about it. Just like I expect a honk if I'm doing something wrong. I've been in a couple minor road rage incidents also. No need to be a tough guy but you need to stand your ground.

Back from the dead
    You yell at a guy who went behind you? I don't get it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair View Post
    then pay attention...

"... narrowly after I pass through"

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    then pay attention...

"... narrowly after I pass through"
    No, apparently you got upset because he didn't use his signal. That's what you yelled about. This all seems pretty silly to me. I yell at people who do stupid things in front of me. What they do behind me doesn't concern me much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    No, apparently you got upset because he didn't use his signal. That's what you yelled about. This all seems pretty silly to me. I yell at people who do stupid things in front of me. What they do behind me doesn't concern me much.
    If he had used his blinker I would have known it was not ok to pull out yet and I would have waited for him to turn. But I thought he was going straight. Then he pulls out and turns, just missing me. That's acceptable? The first thing I thought was that he should have used his blinker. So that's why I said it and continued on. I didn't stop and yell at the guy or anything. But if what I did was overreacting, the guys in the car went well beyond.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Probably because he passed too close for comfort and the OP didnít appreciate it. If we take the OPís story at face value though, he had no angry tone and meant more to inform/remind rather than have a conflict (thatís if we take the story as is of course).

To the OP, the story is kind of hard to believe because you showed such amazing restraint. If it is true, then I am very impressed. And I agree with Mohair that things behind me are usually of no/little concern even if a motorist was being an idjut Ė itís a goodbye moment.

Still though, I would keep an eye out for that car and try to get their plate to file a report, because if what you say is true, these numb nutz are dangerous to others too.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohn64 View Post
    Some people are just idiots! I always carry my cell phone with me and I will not hesitate to pull it out and take a picture of any offender that may decide to give me grief. It sure will make them think of doing anything stupid and 911 is set on speed dial on number 1.
    You didn't do anything different than a driver in a car going straight and telling him the same thing.
    My buddy was riding solo once in the "hickville" of the area when some guys in a truck were hassling him, he pulled over and got his phone out and they pulled over as well like they were going to start something, until he told them that he had just texted his wife their license plate. They threw a bunch of expletives at him then took off leaving him alone.

I have another guy in my club who lives in an area that is mostly dirt/gravel roads who has had more than one beer can thrown at him. I think he said he chased a guy down once and beat the $%IT out of the guy for hitting him with a can

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Here we go with the tough guy stories of how this situation applies to everyone.

Give it a rest, you will always loose in a fight with a car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    Probably because he passed too close for comfort and the OP didnít appreciate it. If we take the OPís story at face value though, he had no angry tone and meant more to inform/remind rather than have a conflict (thatís if we take the story as is of course).

To the OP, the story is kind of hard to believe because you showed such amazing restraint. If it is true, then I am very impressed. And I agree with Mohair that things behind me are usually of no/little concern even if a motorist was being an idjut Ė itís a goodbye moment.

Still though, I would keep an eye out for that car and try to get their plate to file a report, because if what you say is true, these numb nutz are dangerous to others too.
    Yes, I did show that much restraint. I'm just not a hot head. Plus, I was more concerned with getting my knee some aid than getting upset at these guys, which would only make them more upset at me.

Anyways, I'm fine, my bikes fine, it's all in the past. I will keep an eye out for the car, but I really hope I never have to see it again.

- I -
    I'm sorry you had to experience this.

Do you really expect your yelling to change a jerk's behavior? They will never take being yelled at and come back with "I'm sorry sir. I made a mistake. Please forgive me." They will take it as a challenge and escalate...and if they have nothing in life to lose and you do, then you become the big loser.

Accept that some drivers will be jerks. Plan for it so that you can keep your own anger in check.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodi Crescent View Post
    I'm sorry you had to experience this.

Do you really expect your yelling to change a jerk's behavior? They will never take being yelled at and come back with "I'm sorry sir. I made a mistake. Please forgive me." They will take it as a challenge and escalate...and if they have nothing in life to lose and you do, then you become the big loser.

Accept that some drivers will be jerks. Plan for it so that you can keep your own anger in check.
    Yeah, I don't usually learn the hard way, but this time I did. I just really didn't think anyone could get so upset over the word blinker....but I guess any form of criticism is too much for some people.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I really dont want to sound loke a arsewhole in my post above but....... these threads always turn out the same. A few like to jump on the bandwagen about their expierence. The bottom line is things are going to happen out there. Dont provoke anyone in a car. Its just a bad plan.

What if it happens to be a French camera crew? You would be run off the road.

Once again, I am glad you made it through this. Next time it will be different and you may just go on your way. The driver was going to untill you yelled at him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    You might want to work on keeping your cool in situations like this and practice your bunny hop skills & bike handling in the gutter..

You didn't do anything wrong and the situation sucks but you gotta keep a cool head.. it would have saved your knee... they never hit you, it sounds like you were too concerned with what was going on behind you and that caused you to crash.

Besides jumping curbs is a great skill to have when say you're ripping through a corner in a pack and suddenly there are a bunch of cyclists on the ground on the good cornering line...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast