RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012

Special hardware for Sidi shoes?

Not new to cycling, but new here and new to my first pair of Sidi road shoes. In the past I've worn a lot of WSD road shoes, but I found a great deal on men's Sidi Genius 5 that seem to fit my feet very comfortably. I have been reading around the interwebz that SPD-SL cleats (may?) require some special mounting hardware for these shoes instead of what comes with the pedals/cleats. I can't find anything definitive on this, as some of the info is dated. Info I've read says that you can buy special hardware (longer mounting bolts) but is that just for the older models of the Genius or all including 2012-2013 models? Can anyone offer some insight?

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011

May Need Longer Bolts

I found that the bolts that came with my Shimano cleats were not long enough to get through the cleat and grab the threads in the Sidi. I ordered the longer bolts and that worked, but I could feel the ends of the bolts with my feet. I then replaced the longer bolts with shorter bolts, one at a time. This worked. This is all with an older Sidi. I JUST bought a pair of Genius 5's yesterday. I'll go mount a cleat and respond again. later today.

Okay - just mounted a Shimano SPD-SL on a brand new Sidi Genius 5 Pro and had no problem with the standard, included bolts. They are a titchy bit short, but it works.
    Last edited by Pitts Pilot; 02-22-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

acg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Found on the BikeTiresDirect website:

If you are using Shimano SPD-SL pedals, it is recommended that you use the Shimano SPD-SL 10mm cleat fixing bolt set as the standard 8.5mm Shimano bolts have a tendency to strip the threads of Sidi shoes.
    Merlin Extralight Campy
    Airborne Lancaster XTR
    Planet X Uncle John Campy

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Found on the BikeTiresDirect website:

If you are using Shimano SPD-SL pedals, it is recommended that you use the Shimano SPD-SL 10mm cleat fixing bolt set as the standard 8.5mm Shimano bolts have a tendency to strip the threads of Sidi shoes.
    Thanks for adding this very useful information. BTW, the directions included with the new Genius 5 suggest the 8mm bolt. I did find that I had to squeeze it a bit to get the bolt to grab, but once it did I got several revolutions, no worries about stripping any threads.
    Last edited by Pitts Pilot; 02-23-2013 at 02:34 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the info, acg. I was trudging through the online info and couldn't find anything definitive. I'll look into buying these longer cleat bolts before mounting the cleats.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011

Are You Kidding Me?!

Quote Originally Posted by EinRadfahrer View Post
    Thanks for the info, acg. I was trudging through the online info and couldn't find anything definitive. I'll look into buying these longer cleat bolts before mounting the cleats.
    I read your post - provided my first hand experience from the past - THEN picked up the EXACT shoe you are asking about and mounted the EXACT cleat you are asking about. I edited my post to let you know that the longer bolts are not necessary and the the directions in the SIDI shoes even specify the shorter bolt.

THEN - you say "Thanks acg???!!!!" - apparently for quoting info off a bike store on the internet, the exact source of you claimed gave you mixed messages in you original post. And take his advice to get the longer bolts (which you don't need.)

I really don't understand why bother sometimes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitts Pilot View Post
    I read your post - provided my first hand experience from the past - THEN picked up the EXACT shoe you are asking about and mounted the EXACT cleat you are asking about. I edited my post to let you know that the longer bolts are not necessary and the the directions in the SIDI shoes even specify the shorter bolt.

THEN - you say "Thanks acg???!!!!" - apparently for quoting info off a bike store on the internet, the exact source of you claimed gave you mixed messages in you original post. And take his advice to get the longer bolts (which you don't need.)

I really don't understand why bother sometimes.
    I didn't get the info from "that" online bike store, but from various posts on older forums...and I also responded before your "update". Geez - get a grip. I appreciate all advice and will consider yours as well. Thank you... I think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, the longer bolts made a slight bulge in the sole. The insert minimizes that but you want to avoid if the 8.5 ones work