Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

Specialized Romin Expert do you need to wear Cycling shorts?

I have a question for the room. I recently changed out my stock saddle and bought the Specialized Romin Expert. I usually just ride with regular running shorts, this was when I used my gel stock saddle. But this Romin Expert, obviously it helps transmit more power and enables faster acceleration, but when just using regular running shorts it is so uncomfortable, to the point my sit bones hurt like crazy. But using cycling shorts with padding, this new saddle is very comfortable and I can do a century ride. Is there a seat designed to be worn with regular running shorts that is stiff like the expert or do all saddles, assume riders are wearing cycling shorts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    How many miles have you ridden in your non padded shorts? For me i usually need a few hundred miles to get used to a saddle

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenr View Post
    how many miles have you ridden in your non padded shorts? For me i usually need a few hundred miles to get used to a saddle
    i just got the specialized romin expert yesterday and have less than 50 miles on them. I don't see how it will get any better. It's just plain very hard, no padding, how can anybody feel comfortable on this saddle? With cycling shorts that have gel, yeah very comfortable but maybe getting the specialized evo that has built in gel would be better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Amusing thread.

I really hate cycling shorts with a bulky chamois. It's supposed to stop chafing, not be a cushion.

Saddles are stiff so that they don't squish their way "up in there" on a longer ride, or put pressure around your sit bones, where there are some nerves that don't do well with pressure.

I occasionally ride my racing bikes in regular pants. Probably to the bike shop or test riding or something along those lines. It's fine. If there's a limiter on a longer ride, it's that I'm likely to find a seam or a fold or the cotton I'm wearing will get damp and nasty and it's gross. Or chafing, but the other stuff bothers me first. (Well, seams bother me because they chafe.) The chamois helps with moisture too, at least for a while.

So at the end of the day, the saddle doesn't care what you're wearing. It likes you for you. I do notice that softer saddles are less bad about turning seams in my clothing into pressure points, but I think their disadvantages outweigh that marginal benefit. If I'm riding to school or running errands, I wear whatever and I'm not on the bike that long, so it's all good. If I'm riding for longer, I wear cycling shorts and it's all good.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    the short reply would be yes. the saddle was designed w/ the rider wearing cycling shorts as a given. this would be the same w/ any and all sport/racing saddles.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I can ride the Romin Expert with walking shorts, but only up to ~30 minutes. Anything longer and I need the padded bibs. So far, my favorite saddle, though

I think with most road saddles you will be uncomfortable in plain running shorts, on any rides of distance.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erion929 View Post
    i can ride the romin expert with walking shorts, but only up to ~30 minutes. Anything longer and i need the padded bibs. So far, my favorite saddle, though

I think with most road saddles you will be uncomfortable in plain running shorts, on any rides of distance.

i think you just nailed it on the head. Maybe i should have bought the evo version of the romin as they are pretty much the same, only the evo has gel which i am now thinking, this could have allowed me to use regular runing shorts. I hate wearing cycling shorts because it makes your butt look fat. Do agree padded gel shorts really take the edge off the sharpness and makes riding pleasurable instead of painful

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwk View Post
    Is there a seat designed to be worn with regular running shorts that is stiff like the expert or do all saddles, assume riders are wearing cycling shorts?
    Why would you even consider riding in anything but cycling shorts?

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Why would you even consider riding in anything but cycling shorts?

they certainly do make the Romin Expert much much more comfortable, but my only complaint is they make me look 20lbs heavier and bloated look

RoadBikeReview Member
    they certainly do make the Romin Expert much much more comfortable, but my only complaint is they make me look 20lbs heavier and bloated look
    Get over it...

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

Not a climber
    But this Romin Expert, obviously it helps transmit more power and enables faster acceleration
    Can't tell if serious...

I sold the Romin Expert that came on my Tarmac in favor of the Selle San Marco that I took off my old Cervelo. After 5-6 rides, the Romin was just not comfortable or breaking in enough for me.

have droids, will party
    I thought only cameras did this...

Also, being uncomfortable on the bike (especially in the nether regions) for the sake of fashion is ridiculous.

Also, also. As a cyclist, I find the idea of wearing non-cycling shorts while riding (short rides to stores, commutes, etc. not included) silly and unfashionable in itself.

These products are designed to work together. That being said, the saddle you have might not be the right fit for you. You might want to shop around and see if there's something else that works better. This doesn't mean find one with a ton of padding or gel or whatever though. Once you get the right combination of a good pair of bibs and the right saddle you'll wonder why anyone would want to wear baggies and have a giant seat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    How do people see your butt when it's firmly planted on the saddle? Like everyone else said, get over it and ride your bike COMFORTABLY.

Also, the Romin Evo isn't more "padded" than the Romin, it's shaped different. The saddle will absolutely "break in" as you put more miles on. For me, I need at last 15-20 hours of saddle time before I know how the saddle will feel long term.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    i just got the specialized romin expert yesterday and have less than 50 miles on them. I don't see how it will get any better. It's just plain very hard, no padding, how can anybody feel comfortable on this saddle? With cycling shorts that have gel, yeah very comfortable but maybe getting the specialized evo that has built in gel would be better.
    return the saddle and try another. If your wanting to ride without cycling shorts get a saddle with a lot of padding. This would not be as comfortable as cycling shorts but you can't have both.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    But this Romin Expert, obviously it helps transmit more power and enables faster acceleration
    Obvious? How does a saddle make your legs stronger?
    but when just using regular running shorts it is so uncomfortable

Is there a seat designed to be worn with regular running shorts

but my only complaint is they make me look 20lbs heavier and bloated look
    This is akin to the fat lady at the pool wearing a T-shirt over her swim suit. Everyone still knows she's fat. And now she stands out like a sore thumb because she's the only one at the pool wearing a shirt, thus people are looking at her even more. Whereas if she just wore a swim suit, she'd still be fat.... but blend in with all the other overweight people.

You don't want to be the fat lady at the pool do you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a romin and it is so comfortable after 1000 miles broken in, that i do not even notice it is there! Make sure you get it set up correctly though; I noticed that if it is not positioned (tilt) just right, it is uncomfortable. I have it set up nose slightly down to so that it hugs my behind just right. 1-2mm off and I do notice a big difference, which can be painful after a few miles .

flinty-eyed moderator
    Maybe try some of the mountain bike baggie shorts if you are worried about the look.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Hi
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Maybe try some of the mountain bike baggie shorts if you are worried about the look.

^This. I do this if I plan on locking my bike and walking around to do errands or whatever. Plus the MTB shorts usually have pockets which are handy. I have two pairs to go along with a couple pairs of "road" shorts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I hate wearing cycling shorts because it makes your butt look fat.
    They make my butt look fabulous, thank you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    They are starting to make mountain bike bibs now. That would be a good option for you.

Also FYI the bibs don't make you look 20lbs overweight and bloated. You are 20lbs overweight and bloated. No one cares either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Yes you do need biking shorts. Just wear them under your sports shorts

'brifter' is a lame word.
    you have got to be kidding...this is ridiculous.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Fecal indicator
    But this Romin Expert, obviously it helps transmit more power and enables faster acceleration...
    so, lemme get this straight...you have a 'power-transmitting' saddle and can ride comfortably in cycling shorts. but, you want to know how to ride in running shorts so your big butt looks smaller.

funniest shitt I've read today.

thanks for the laughs.
    eff all y'all...

have droids, will party
    I always want to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but it really does seem a bit trollish...

I really can't tell if this is serious.

jwk
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    Can't tell if serious...

I sold the Romin Expert that came on my Tarmac in favor of the Selle San Marco that I took off my old Cervelo. After 5-6 rides, the Romin was just not comfortable or breaking in enough for me.
    my stock cannondale seat was too flexible and under hard acceleration it would waste power. Today I wore my cycling shorts and it was 100% better. Was no longer concentrating on trying to ignore the pain but now thinking I should have bought the same seat but the evo version

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast