We have met the enemy...

Specialized shoes--anyone have issues?

I'm reluctant to post this because it sounds a little wacky.

I have two pairs of identical Specialized good quality shoes (can't remember the model, but velcro closure from 6+ years ago.

One pair stayed with me as part of the minimum kit in our new house, the other went into storage and our stuff stayed in storage for over 18 months while we worked on the house.

Now the shoes that went into storage seem too short (toes bump) while before they were ever so slightly larger since they were typically the pair I wore with winter socks and they had originally stretched a little.

Do the footbeds on these shoes distort if they are stored for long periods without wearing? (I'm assuming they didn't shrink, plastic soles and all...)
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    What are the uppers made of? If leather, it's very possible they could have shrunk a bit even though the sole is plastic and still the original size.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    What are the uppers made of? If leather, it's very possible they could have shrunk a bit even though the sole is plastic and still the original size.
    That's a good theory--and my SO who knows about such things thinks they are partial leather uppers, especially the toe box.

(And I also noticed on close inspection that the side of one tongue was folded over, so that is probably not helping)

Might be time for some Shoe-Ease...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

Darling of The Lounge
    They may have been switched while in storage to a smaller pair as part of some diabolical plot to drive you insane

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    That's a good theory--and my SO who knows about such things thinks they are partial leather uppers, especially the toe box.

(And I also noticed on close inspection that the side of one tongue was folded over, so that is probably not helping)

Might be time for some Shoe-Ease...
    This may sound a little crazy, but get them good and soaking wet, then go for a ride with them wet. I know that's how soccer players break in their shoes. They buy them a size or 2 too small, then wear them soaking wet so the leather stretches to fit their foot perfectly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    They may have been switched while in storage to a smaller pair as part of some diabolical plot to drive you insane
    Or this!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    They are 6+ years old. Sounds like a good time to treat yourself to a new pair!

RoadBikeReview Member
    How small was the storage space?

I'm interesting.
    I suggest that perhaps it is your foot that has changed and not the shoe.
    "This thread gives me hope that the human race will render itself extinct in my lifetime...." PlatyPius
    "You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly....." ZoSoSwiM
    "Power is power and it has to be paid for." Alex_Simmons/RST

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have two pairs of Specialized Pro shoes.
    One road the other MTB.
    Different model years.
    Both are 14/47 sizing.
    My toes slightly touch the end of the road shoes (the toe box is snugger too) Which I like.
    My toes do not touch on the MTB shoes.

But since I bought the MTB model for some touring I guess the extra length might be a good thing with really long days.

My guess is that the uppers on your shoes did shrink a small bit due to the lack of use and excessive heat of a storage unit (assuming unconditioned unit). You might be able to take them to a cobbler and have them stretched back out a bit.
    I have also noticed that the footbeds have slightly changed shape over past couple of years but think that is because they have molded to my feet and use one wedge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the carbon sole, leather Specialized BG road shoes from circa '07. I stopped riding for several years and the first couple rides the shoes were much tighter than I remebered. I also used the trick of getting them wet but I didn't ride them soaking wet, I just got them wet enough to be pliable with a spray bottle (thanks to my wife ) and hit the trainer for 15-20 min. I did this twice and by the third ride they fit perfectly.
    Just another 35 year old with 55 year old knee's.

...at least I look fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I also agree that it sounds like they shrunk from the heat in storage. You could try the other methods mentioned but just riding and sweating in them might stretch them out enough, assuming they really are the correct size.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I rode with a pair for a few years, they were a bit tight in the toe but I thik they weren't sized quite right from the beginning.. Despite that, they were good and I rode them often in the wet. My next pair after that were Sidi and I never looked back. In fact, I've had the same Sidi Genius 2 shoes for 18 years and they are still perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by superjesus View Post
    I suggest that perhaps it is your foot that has changed and not the shoe.
    This could be the best answer yet.

When I was working, I wore a size 11.5 shoe.

I've been retired for a few years, and I now wear size 12 shoes.

I do wear flip-flops a lot and I think that my foot has increased in size because they are no longer constrained by the shoes that I wore every day at work. They just sort of spread out and got longer.

There has been no corresponding increase in the size of ....... Never mind, that's for another forum.