RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Speed Play rider weight limits

Quick question, I am wondering if their are weight limits on the pedals? I am 235lbs and saw somewhere that the titanium had a weight limit of 185lbs. I am thinking of switching from Look Keo's to speedplays. Anyone else made the switch and if you did, did you notice any differences? I just want something a little easier to get into.

Millman

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Speedplay has nifty little charts with such information.

Zeros.
    X series.
    Light Actions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks, I looked at thier technical instructions, not the charts. Have a great New Year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, tech specs is mostly how the pedals are put together and service instructions.

I made the switch from Look style road pedals to X series Speedplays in the late 90s. I found the Speedplays easy to get into and out of. At the time I was transitioning from mountain biking to road and was used to just putting my foot down and clipping in and not having to flip the pedal, etc. Maybe Looks hang at a better position now, but I really liked and still like the double sided part of Speedplays.

If you put the carbon sole protector on your cleat/shoe, I found the release feel changed a bit, a bit less abrupt or positive. It took me a few rides to get used to the new feel.

Not Banned
    if you are over 200 lbs you should avoid Ti spindles in pedals, BBs etc.....The cost and voiding of any warranty are not worth the weight savings. The weight difference in relation to your weight is pretty insignificant, you'd ( as well as I'd) be better served dropping any additional pounds off of our frames vs the bikes. When you check the cost per ounce saved you will realize how silly of an investment it is for someone of our size

I ride steel spindles
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    if you are over 200 lbs you should avoid Ti spindles in pedals, BBs etc.....The cost and voiding of any warranty are not worth the weight savings. The weight difference in relation to your weight is pretty insignificant, you'd ( as well as I'd) be better served dropping any additional pounds off of our frames vs the bikes. When you check the cost per ounce saved you will realize how silly of an investment it is for someone of our size

I ride steel spindles
    This ^^^^

I have the stainless speedplay zeros and am pushing two fitty. No problems.
    2013 Felt Z4 56cm
    1990 Basso Loto 56cm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    I was also curious about the weight limit on the Speedplays. So I just asked them about my choice, the Speedplay X2 stainless steel:

"Hi evtl,

Thank you for contacting Speedplay.

There is not weight limit on our stainless steel spindles.

Regards,

Bill"

So, I bought them.

RoadBikeReview Member

Zombie thread resurrected. But agree for heavier riders I would go with stainless and not Ti spindles based upon reports of Ti failures. I am a Speedplay Zero stainless rider at 185 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post

Zombie thread resurrected. But agree for heavier riders I would go with stainless and not Ti spindles based upon reports of Ti failures. I am a Speedplay Zero stainless rider at 185 lbs.
    But Ti spindles are soooooo much lighter and will make you go sooooo much faster, like, 0.001mph faster!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by evtl View Post
    I was also curious about the weight limit on the Speedplays. So I just asked them about my choice, the Speedplay X2 stainless steel:

"Hi evtl,

Thank you for contacting Speedplay.

There is not weight limit on our stainless steel spindles.

Regards,

Bill"

So, I bought them.
    Join date. Post count (lack thereof). Good job dredging a 5 year old thread that is definitely a hot topic to post your breathtaking news. Enjoy your new pedals.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Join date. Post count (lack thereof). Good job dredging a 5 year old thread that is definitely a hot topic to post your breathtaking news. Enjoy your new pedals.
    Well, when I was looking for an answer there were two threads on top of Googles list. And there will be probably more people looking for this, they are just not posting. I am just the person who likes to post the answer, when I find it. There are so many threads, just one more you have to ignore, is it so bad? Maybe I'll help some other biker and then it was worth posting.
    Last edited by evtl; 1 Week Ago at 01:00 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    IMHO, it beats starting a new thread on the same topic.

Quote Originally Posted by evtl View Post
    Well, when I was looking for an answer there were two threads on top of Googles list. And there will be probably more people looking for this, they are just not posting. I am just the person who likes to post the answer, when I find it. There are so many threads, just one more you have to ignore, is it so bad? Maybe I'll help some other biker and then it was worth posting.
    Welcome to RBR! CXWrench likes to bark. However, he is very knowledgeable and if you "play ball" with him, he can be very helpful. Buy him a 6-pack and give him a back rub and he'll be your best friend.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Welcome to RBR! CXWrench likes to bark. However, he is very knowledgeable and if you "play ball" with him, he can be very helpful. Buy him a 6-pack and give him a back rub and he'll be your best friend.
    Thanks :-) And we can figure something out with the beer, here in Bavaria we got the good stuff. ;-) But for the back rub someone else has to jump in.

Trigger Warning
    evtl -

Thanks for joining.