RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

SpeedPlay Specific 4 Bolt Pattern Road Shoes

Is there any really noticeable difference in performance in these shoes vs the three hole with adapter plate and shims? By performance I mean transfer of power (would be great to check them against a power meter) or efficiency. The selection of 4 bolt shoes are limited and generally expensive.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Get me to In&Out
    Without the adapter, your shoe will obviously be ~5mm closer to the spindle. What is that worth to you? No that big of a deal for me.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Speedplay specific shoes make it easier to adjust the cleats and potentially have a better (flatter) surface for the cleats to mount on making clip in and out more fluid.

B05
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Speedplay specific shoes are overpriced like F. No idea why the vast majority of them are more expensive than the 3 bolt ones.

Does it have something to do with rights,trademarks, etc because they have to use the "Speedplay" name when they market the shoe? That's the only reason I could think of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by B05 View Post
    Speedplay specific shoes are overpriced like F. No idea why the vast majority of them are more expensive than the 3 bolt ones.

Does it have something to do with rights,trademarks, etc because they have to use the "Speedplay" name when they market the shoe? That's the only reason I could think of.
    Not sure which shoes you are looking at:
    Sidi Ergo 3 - same price each version
    Sidi Wire - same price each version
    The shoe has a smaller market and less color choice, but offers more adjustable (aft), and no adapter to deal with.

irony intended
    After having tried a couple pairs of shoes with speedplay specific soles, my conclusion - nice, but not my primary criteria for selecting a shoe...
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by carlislegeorge View Post
    After having tried a couple pairs of shoes with speedplay specific soles, my conclusion - nice, but not my primary criteria for selecting a shoe...
    Thanks for the reply. This is useful information.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have been using the DMT Prisma2 this year. Lowered my stack height
    6mm. Due to the fact that I am using a wedge in my left cleat, this has
    really been a life saver for me, not having the "block on the pedals" feeling.
    They are pricey, however and the boa is a little bit fragile but overall a vast
    improvement over my old spd-sl shoes.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phoehn9111 View Post
    yup, same here and will NEVER rides with speedplay pedals without Speedplay shoes.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks. That DMT as well as the cheaper one without the fancy laceup system and the Sidi Ergo 3 Speedplay were what I thinking about. The Prisma 2 and Sidi are around $350 and the cheaper DMT $250. My left knee flops all over the place and I've ordered what was calle the LeWedge. This got me considering the speedplay specific shoes. But there are limited choices and no "bargin" sales and was wondering if just sales puffing or if riders really noticed a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    The reduction in weight and stack height with Speedplay shoes is a definite benefit. Consider the DMT Radial shoe. The are MUCH lighter than Sidi's, less expensive, and super comfortable. I wear the same size DMT as Sidi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I can see this is going to cost me money. Don't know if I would be any faster, but certain I would be taller, thinner, younger and better looking if I had carbon sole, 4 bolt pattern!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderguy View Post
    Is there any really noticeable difference in performance in these shoes vs the three hole with adapter plate and shims? By performance I mean transfer of power (would be great to check them against a power meter) or efficiency. The selection of 4 bolt shoes are limited and generally expensive.
    your shoe+cleat weight would be a bit lighter because you wont be using some shims and adapters, and as mentioned your stack height would be much lower. if you're a hardcore SP user, by all means go for it.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I picked up some Lake CX401's on Nashbar for $199 last christmas.... not bad for $499 speedplay specific shoes. I'm keeping my eyes peeled incase they go on sale again... LOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have these and love them!

Lake CX236C Road Shoes - Speedplay Sole at wiggle.com

Your Wiggle price:
    $202.71

SpeedPlay Specific 4 Bolt Pattern Road Shoes-lake-cx236c-road-shoes-13-white.jpg
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

irony intended
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    Without the adapter, your shoe will obviously be ~5mm closer to the spindle. What is that worth to you? No that big of a deal for me.
    I have been using the DMT Prisma2 this year. Lowered my stack height 6mm. Due to the fact that I am using a wedge in my left cleat, this has
    really been a life saver for me, not having the "block on the pedals" feeling. They are pricey, however and the boa is a little bit fragile but overall a vast improvement over my old spd-sl shoes.
    I think this is definitely a benefit, especially if you're solving a leg length issue with the wedges, but in most cases it is typically closer to only 3mm reduced stack height (this is what Speedplay claims on its website), since SP-specific soles are slightly thicker in that area. The DMT website isn't specific, but the Competitive Cyclist review of the DMT Prisma referenced only a 3mm difference.
    Last edited by carlislegeorge; 04-30-2013 at 07:40 AM.
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

Yea that's right.
    Its not a huge difference but if your very particular its noticeable and a number of ways. Not all pure performance.

I've been running speedplays since the 80s and SP shoes since I first came across them. Ive had to go back on occasion and its a pretty hard thing to do. Once your used to it the contrast can be significant.

Anyways, I wouldn't dream of ever going back to a standard shoe and FTR, my carbon DMTs didn't cost me anymore than an equivalent shoe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Ordered the DMT Prisma from Competitive Cyclist. More than I wanted to spend but hopefully they will hold up for a number of years. Actually I hope I "hold up for a number of years"! Thanks for the comments.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    I used DMT Radial Speedplay for a couple of seasons.
    Then I got myself a pair of Bont Vaypors, 3 hole. The Bonts gave lower stack height with adapters than the DMTs. They are also a better fit due to the heat molding.

Sorry for being too late to the party.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Yea that's right.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    I used DMT Radial Speedplay for a couple of seasons.
    Then I got myself a pair of Bont Vaypors, 3 hole. The Bonts gave lower stack height with adapters than the DMTs. They are also a better fit due to the heat molding.

Sorry for being too late to the party.
    Wow, that's pretty interesting. DMT lists the stack height at the cleat mount, if I understand right, to be 3.5mm.

"...at the critical cleat interface it is a wispy-thin 3.5 mm..."

The SP adapters are like 3mm all by itself. How are they accomplishing that with the Bonts?

+ Edit. Bonts are 3.6mm stack height plus 3mm adapter would have to put them are 6.6mm. I must not be reading something right.

Bianchi-Campagnolo

SpeedPlay Specific 4 Bolt Pattern Road Shoes

That's good work

DMT may have changed the sole since mine.

Maybe I'm talking about perceived stack. I could not get the cleats quite all the way back to where they should have been with the DMTs.

I did have to lower my saddle 2 mm after getting the Bonts.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Speedplay cleats require a flat mounting surface whereas the Look-style can accommodate a bit of curvature. I have two pairs of custom shoes that are Speedplay-specific and they way they achieve a flat surface is by starting with a curved sole and building up the area fore and aft of the cleat. If you examine the adapter carefully, you'll see that it does the same thing. Its thickness is at the front and rear where it needs to convert the curved sole to a flat surface but the center portion directly under the cleat is actually quite thin and adds very little to the actual stack height. I suspect most reduced stack height claims are really marketing fuzzy math based on the assumption that the adapter is a uniform ~4 mm thick. There's no free lunch in this game and to truly reduce stack height requires thinning out the sole beneath the cleat.