RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Speedplay (Zero) Problem

My right speedplay cleat is giving me problems. What happens is that in addition to the left/right play that comes with the speedplay system I can "push" my right shoe a few millimetres forth/back. Very annoying. Have tightened the four bottom screws (not by too much) but there's no perceptible change - the cleat plate seems rock solid.

Any suggestions what to do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    How have you determined that the cleat is moving "forth/back"? If you've lined everything up and tightened the screws as required there is nothing to move.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    How have you determined that the cleat is moving "forth/back"? If you've lined everything up and tightened the screws as required there is nothing to move.
    I can clearly feel it just by pushing/pulling my shoe forth or back. Just like when wriggling it left/right - just forth/back it needs force contrary to the left/right easy "play" of the speedplay system.

On the left side there's no "slip" forth/back at all, no matter how hard I try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Something is loose. My cleat had one loose screw and did the exact same thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Something is loose.
    Hard to disagree with that but what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    My cleat had one loose screw and did the exact same thing.
    As mentioned, I have checked the bottom screws and they are fine. There's no wriggling or anything when I try to move the cleat itself. It must be something inside the cleat or with the pedel (which looks 100% OK??).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Did you tighten the 3 screws under the cleat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scottma View Post
    Did you tighten the 3 screws under the cleat?
    Yup, the actual 3 screws that hold the cleat on. I had one a little bit loose and that is what it did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiaibing View Post
    My right speedplay cleat is giving me problems. What happens is that in addition to the left/right play that comes with the speedplay system I can "push" my right shoe a few millimetres forth/back. Very annoying. Have tightened the four bottom screws (not by too much) but there's no perceptible change - the cleat plate seems rock solid.

Any suggestions what to do?
    Sounds like a cleat spring might be broken. Easy to determine just by pushing the exposed spring elements with your fingers. Otherwise you are just sensitive to the amount of play in Speedplay pedals and you're getting worked up over nothing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I don't even know how it's possible for the cleat to move forward/backward if the base plate screws are tight. I definitely have had the cleat start doing that when the base plate screws loosened up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you haven't already, you might try taking the shoe (off your foot) clipping it into the pedal, rotating it on the pedal sole up and pushing it back and forth by hand to see where the motion/slip is occurring.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

flinty-eyed moderator
    take it all the way apart, reinstall the base plate and cleat, use blue locktight on the cleat bolts.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    take it all the way apart, reinstall the base plate and cleat, use blue locktight on the cleat bolts.
    Did the trick. I hesitated doing this at first as I remembered that I had a difficult time setting it up originally. However, it was very simple to "reverse engineer". Anyway the "slip" is gone. I credit it to one of the three screws being slightly loose - even if i could not move it with my fingers alone.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.