Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I ride in circles..

Speedplay Zero's... Cromoly vs stainless

• Chrome-Moly pedal each - 105g
    • Stainless pedal each - 103g
    Are the stainless pedals really worth a $70 price jump? Seriously 2 grams isn't that much. The site doesn't really make much distinction between the 2 sets. I wanted black anyways... black with a black spindle is pretty cool so I'm thinking of saving $70 and going the cheap route. Any thoughts?

Is the $70 upgrade really worth it..
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

banned
    Aug 2009
    The chromoly spindled Speedplays have black spindles and look like cheap-spindled pedals. So, if $70 makes the difference, you made your decision. Man up and get the Nanos.

I didn't even own a cat..
    I think that the stainless is American made or has something like bearings are different. I don't think it's worth it unless you are out for looks.....
    2008 Louis Garneau Sonix 6.4
    2002 KHS Flite 500
    1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think you can get third-party ti spindles for less than the $70 stainless cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Chromos are made in Taiwan, Stainless made in USA, if that kind of thing matters to you. I'm sure some of that (emphasis on some) may factor into the cost as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    the stainless have a more durable bearing set-up on the inboard and outboard sections of the axle, the basics have a less refined bearing on one of those, can't rememeber which one it is though

RoadBikeReview Member
    I run Frog's on both my road and MTB, on the MTB I use the stainless version because they are stronger, on the road I use the chrome-molly since they don't take the same abuse.
    2013 CAAD 10 Black Inc; 2011 Kona Unit 2-9 SS

eRacer
    I have both, and performance and weight difference is not worth the cost difference.
    The Chromoly Spindles can actually be installed with a 15mm Pedal Wrench or an 8mm Allen Wrench, which I like. The S/S Spindle can only be installed with a 15mm Pedal Wrench.

If you are unhappy with the Black colored Spindles, you can easily buff them Silver with Sand Paper or ScotchBrite strips which I have also done.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

I ride in circles..
    The black spindles don't matter to me much. I'm more concerned with performance. If the cheaper pedals wear out sooner than I'll get the more expensive ones. It's the same cleat for either set and by all appearances they're the same pedal except the spindle.

Thanks for the input so far!
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlapoint
    If you are unhappy with the Black colored Spindles, you can easily buff them Silver with Sand Paper or ScotchBrite strips which I have also done.
    They will rust if you don't clearcoat them, though.

Asad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoSoSwiM
    The black spindles don't matter to me much. I'm more concerned with performance. If the cheaper pedals wear out sooner than I'll get the more expensive ones. It's the same cleat for either set and by all appearances they're the same pedal except the spindle.

Thanks for the input so far!
    I think the main think about the more expensive pedal is the weight. I imagine the wear is about the same on the pedal, pretty sure it would be the cleat to wear out.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The black paint on the chromemoly spindle wears off and looks cheap. There is a difference in the bearings between the ti and chromemoly, at least on mine.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

I ride in circles..
    Hmm... I don't want them to wear out and rust... Erg.. guess I'll pony up for the stainless..
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    They don't rust that easily. Now if you are seaside, the paint has worn away and it routinely gets wet, it may be more of an issue to watch.

I ride in circles..
    I don't ride in the rain very much... prefer not to. I'm fairly anal about cleaning my bike so I'm sure they'd hold up well enough. However if they get scuffed up they'll look like crap. Which I won't like.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    My cromo version has the paint worn away close to the pedal body.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I've got both and can't tell the difference, I'd save the cash and spend it on something else.

i like whiskey
    If the spindles get scratched up, you can easily touch them up with a little sandpaper and some black spray paint. They'll look good as new in about 15 minutes.

I'd save the $70 and get the chromo's. I've only run chromo's for 9 years and they have been fine. I've never once thought they looked cheap or crappy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Im going to go with the chromo pedals myself and toss some ti spindles on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Do this...repost of something I put on the Weight Weenies forum.....

Long time troller, first time poster. Thought I'd share a Winter project on some Speedplay Zeros. Wanted to switch from Keo Sprints to a nice set of Zeros. The total cleat/pedal weight on the SS and ChrMo Zeros was more than the Sprints. So bought a slightly used pair of Chromoly Zeros/cleats for around $90 on Ebay and bought a set of titanium spindles of a nano design, but machined for std Zeros for around $60. (Mr. W....does VERY nice work.)

Anyway photos tell the story. Got a set of Zeros that look like Nanos, weight slightly less than stock Zero Ti's for around $150. Happy.

STOCK Zero Chromoly

Chromoly Spindles

Titanium Spindles

Assembled pedals

I ride in circles..
    Good information. I think you guys have sold me on saving the money. I think I'll put that towards the new shoes I also need. Now to figure out shoes.. haha. I'll have to post back at some point once I'm all set up.

I've been riding Crank brothers Quattro's for 2 years now. They're decent pedals but sloppy. They also make noise. I want smooth, silent, and dependable. The Egg design works great in the woods. After 2 seasons I'm not happy with them on the road. I'm demoting them to a future bad weather bike once the Zero's come in!
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really want to try these out but have heard stories from one side saying they're great and from the other side saying they jacked up the person's knees and they'll never ride them again!

So it would be nice to try them out before buying them
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

I ride in circles..
    I don't see how they could possibly mess up someones knee.. They're free range of motion at it's best.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Roll Out Jeremy

Material Strength

Consider the strength of material you are selecting. I did some very rough serching ASTM standards for materials. Heat treated Ti probably won't exceed 130 ksi ultimate strangth. Stainless, 200 ksi, and chrome moly possibly 250ksi, maybe as high as 300ksi.
    These numbers are very subjective to alloy, heat treat process, and treacability certification. Just keep in mind the chrome moly spindle may be twice as strong as the Ti. How much do you weigh and how hard do you ride? Made in the US probably indicates better traceability on material standards. Of course, no manufacturer is going to pony up with these material specifications. Take you chances....
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdigital
    Chromos are made in Taiwan, Stainless made in USA, if that kind of thing matters to you. I'm sure some of that (emphasis on some) may factor into the cost as well.
    How do you guys always know where every little thing is made? Is it buried in the company websites somewhere?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast