RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

stages power meter problem

Anyone else have this issue?
    My Stages 105 1st gen power meter has been intermittent lately and I contacted customer support. They told me base don the pictures that the housing for the battery door is missing one of the three latches to hold the battery door in place effectively.
    I didn't damage the unit- no crashes and nothing todo with it other that the very occasional battery change.
    Seems like a defect to me - - wondering if anyone else has had any issues.

edit to add:
    Not too pleased with the response from customer service.
    Due to the flimsy housing for the battery door-I would have to send back the unit and incur a $200 USD service charge plus shipping.
    Having bought this power metre for close to $800 Canadian only two seasons ago-I've only changed batteries on it a handful full times. 200.00 USD plus shipping seems awfully high for a part that shouldn't have failed in the first place.
    Last edited by FasterStronger; 04-03-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Edit to add

Forever a Student
    Your post is a little fishy.

Why? Because Stages is more than aware of the first gen battery door issues. And not only are they aware of it, they send out free doors and gaskets to anyone to has an issue with an earlier model one. I've witnessed it dozens of times.

So for you to say that they're telling you to send the whole unit back in order to get a replacement battery door seems a little fishy to me. And they don't charge $200 service charges, they just replace whole units for free, again I've seen it numerous times and they've done it for me personally.

The correct answer to this problem is that Stages will send you a new, updated, battery door for free to replace yours that has a broken tab.

And most likely they will also tell you about the negative terminal lifting/bending trick.

Stages has wonderful customer support.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I think you miss read my post.
    The battery door itself is not the problem-it is the housing that holds the battery door.
    In this case it isn't as simple as them sending me a new battery door and they want me to send back the power unit and have it either serviced or replaced.
    Nothing fishy going on here and I would've agreed with you regarding their customer service up until this experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Your post is a little fishy.

Why? Because Stages is more than aware of the first gen battery door issues. And not only are they aware of it, they send out free doors and gaskets to anyone to has an issue with an earlier model one. I've witnessed it dozens of times.

So for you to say that they're telling you to send the whole unit back in order to get a replacement battery door seems a little fishy to me. And they don't charge $200 service charges, they just replace whole units for free, again I've seen it numerous times and they've done it for me personally.

The correct answer to this problem is that Stages will send you a new, updated, battery door for free to replace yours that has a broken tab.

And most likely they will also tell you about the negative terminal lifting/bending trick.

Stages has wonderful customer support.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    This is the first I've heard of anyone having the problem as you describe it. As pointed out by repbike, door problems are an issue that is easily taken care of. They are caused by not inserting the battery into the door before replacing the door.

Do you have any idea how the housing was broken?
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    I think you miss read my post.
    The battery door itself is not the problem-it is the housing that holds the battery door.
    In this case it isn't as simple as them sending me a new battery door and they want me to send back the power unit and have it either serviced or replaced.
    Nothing fishy going on here and I would've agreed with you regarding their customer service up until this experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    This is the first I've heard of anyone having the problem as you describe it. As pointed out by repbike, door problems are an issue that is easily taken care of. They are caused by not inserting the battery into the door before replacing the door.

Do you have any idea how the housing was broken?
    i do know about the door problem and do they did send me replacement doors in the first season I owned the unit since I did have that problem as well.

no clue as how the housing was damaged. Cannot figure that one out since all i have done is a simple battery change lately.
    The repair fee of 200 plus shipping USD is a v Roy bitter pill for me. And to top it off I just bout one of their dura ace power meters for a new bike.

Forever a Student
    Oh, yeah, I misread. So the base unit is somehow damaged, okay.

Well let me give you two tricks to maybe help keep it going as is.

First being cut a couple small pieces of electrical tape and put them flush on the underside of the door, they will be contacting the battery. This sort of fills a tiny gap that exists there.

Second being under the battery, in the base unit, is a gold negative contact. Carefully bend this upwards and hold it a second, it should stay bent upwards. This again fills a tiny gap that exists on the other side of the battery.

The combination of those two tips should help with it going out provided that you have a door that is in working order.

As I mentioned before, I've sent back several of the original run units, up to a couple years after getting them, for free replacements. They all had door issues but eventually ended up failing. The replacements all had door issues too but those are largely sorted now. As you'll find out with the newest one you ordered, the whole base unit is different for the new ones so there's zero issues with the newest ones.

I'm a little surprised that they want you to pay to replace it. Mind posting a picture of the base unit so we can see exactly what's broken about it? The tabs are on the door, not the base unit, so that's not what's broken.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    MMs - thanks for the tips - certainly worth considering.
    I am disappointed in their approach to this issue since it is well known that first gen units have had tons of issues with battery doors. Asking me to pay 200.00 to fix the issue is not ok in my books - I wish I would have contacted them prior to purchasing the 2nd unit - I would have had a different unit on my new bike right now - what a way to burn a customer. Push out a unit with a well documented flaw and then ream them when the defect rears it's head.
    Here is a pic of my faulty Stages power meter and the red circle indicates where the issue is as per the Stages rep named Sam.

stages power meter problem-66523.jpg

Oh, yeah, I misread. So the base unit is somehow damaged, okay.

Well let me give you two tricks to maybe help keep it going as is.

First being cut a couple small pieces of electrical tape and put them flush on the underside of the door, they will be contacting the battery. This sort of fills a tiny gap that exists there.

Second being under the battery, in the base unit, is a gold negative contact. Carefully bend this upwards and hold it a second, it should stay bent upwards. This again fills a tiny gap that exists on the other side of the battery.

The combination of those two tips should help with it going out provided that you have a door that is in working order.

As I mentioned before, I've sent back several of the original run units, up to a couple years after getting them, for free replacements. They all had door issues but eventually ended up failing. The replacements all had door issues too but those are largely sorted now. As you'll find out with the newest one you ordered, the whole base unit is different for the new ones so there's zero issues with the newest ones.

I'm a little surprised that they want you to pay to replace it. Mind posting a picture of the base unit so we can see exactly what's broken about it? The tabs are on the door, not the base unit, so that's not what's broken.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    https://support.stagescycling.com/en...s-power-meter-

Stages powermeters come with a one year warranty. The same warranty they had when you bought the powermeter. Your powermeter is out of warranty, so they charge you to fix it. See how that works?

Yeah, it sucks when you have to spend money to repair stuff that breaks. But the way Stages has handled this doesn't at all sound out of line. You seem like you're all pissed off for no good reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    In the past, Stages had replaced the "version 1" housings for 2 of my units after their warranties had expired. Though my units were less than 2 years old though.
    I would email them back telling them that they should replace the housing for free for you because this issue is well-documented issue. Tell them to go google the net for it. Your issue is not unique.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Aclinjury - I have been emailing back and forth with them and have made mention of this but it appears to have fallen on deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    In the past, Stages had replaced the "version 1" housings for 2 of my units after their warranties had expired. Though my units were less than 2 years old though.
    I would email them back telling them that they should replace the housing for free for you because this issue is well-documented issue. Tell them to go google the net for it. Your issue is not unique.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    Aclinjury - I have been emailing back and forth with them and have made mention of this but it appears to have fallen on deaf ears.
    Man I feel your pain brother! I would be a little pissed too if Stages didn't replace my housing for free, even though it's past warranty. If it were me, I would write a courteous email to the president/CEO of Stages, tell him: "hey I'm supporting your company by buying an first generation product, and I bought a second one, how about Stages show me some love?". Roll with that approach. The phone/email Customer Support rep is just going through procedure by denying your warranty. But yea sounds like you need a new housing, not just battery door.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Man I feel your pain brother! I would be a little pissed too if Stages didn't replace my housing for free, even though it's past warranty. If it were me, I would write a courteous email to the president/CEO of Stages, tell him: "hey I'm supporting your company by buying an first generation product, and I bought a second one, how about Stages show me some love?". Roll with that approach. The phone/email Customer Support rep is just going through procedure by denying your warranty. But yea sounds like you need a new housing, not just battery door.
    thanks for the input - any idea who to contact? A google is not turning up anything.

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    I had the same issue you're describing with both my gen 1 ultegra unit and gen 1 DA9000 unit. I wrote a full review of my Stages experience here.

Product Review: Stages Power Meter | Crank Addicts

In both instances, Stages sent me a replacement unit and included a shipping tag to send them back my broken unit.

I have heard of a similar situation to the one you're describing... where Stages wanted to charge a friend of mine $200 to replace his damaged gen 1 DA9000 model, but that was because he was not the original owner and they no longer had any original gen 1 models available, so they were upgrading him to the gen 2. model.

Edit :: I'll add that both of my broken models had also had previous replacement doors, so it was a total of 4 customer service interactions and in each of them Stages was fair and honest.

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Hmm I couldn't find any contact for any specific individuals either.

But add to what TricrossRich said, I think that within the first year of their product release, Stage would send you a free shipping label for you to send back the bad unit.
    Then, in the second year, meaning warranty has expired, Stages would continue to do this for free. Then in the third year, they would charge for shipping fee but would still replace the housing for free. But it looks like now they're charging for replacement for any "version 1" housing needing warranty.

Personally, I think they have been fair in extending their original 1yr warranty. I actually have not heard of any case of them denying a free warranty service during the first 2 years of their product release (and they were smart about it). But I guess now that their "version 2" housing has been on the market for over a year now, I guess they ended their unofficial "grace period". Even though you have been caught out on this one, but I personally think they have been fair about it.

Forever a Student
    An update from me here.

As you can see above, I've done a lot to try to stick up for Stages but I'm in this boat too.

I am original owner, went through all the troubles of having doors replaced, having the whole unit replaced, having more doors replaced with the new door design, etc.

And then the power drops. Power/cadence just drops for a few seconds randomly through the ride, or maybe not randomly, but often enough where the unit is not trustworthy or usable.

And Stages no longer will do anything about it.

I do not think that making all gen 1 housing owners pay $200 to switch to gen 2 housings to have a working product is honorable.

It's a very well known design flaw. They have the fix, they have the replacements. They won't fix it. Not acceptable. So $200+ shipping both ways or nothing? Not acceptable.

I didn't think they would do this, really didn't believe it at first, but it's the truth. They've shafted their customers after all with the first gen units. Their price was never worth only 1 year of a working product. They've lost all support from me and I will never sell one of their units again. I've switched everyone to 4iiii that wants one.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    you using the Bryton with it now? I've heard of some power meter/head unit combos where the link tends to be a bit tenuous. Tried it with other head units? I know one fellow using Stages with an iphone like I do and it was solid, but when he got a Bryton it was losing link sometimes.

My Stages has been solid for over a year now. through rainforest winters. gen2 model. while my wife's GarminS pm is super flaky when used with any head unit - cuts out altogether after a couple hours.

but before my wife buys a Stages we might look into the 4iii (and Power2Max and others)

Forever a Student
    No, no Bryton. They don't make a unit that quite fits what I'm after. Still with Garmin for head units.

My Powertap hub never has any issues at all with the Garmin head unit, it's as solid as a rock. Same issue with different Garmin head units too, and Powertap is solid on all units.

Seems as though, it's my guess anyway, that when I shift from seated to standing on climbs is when it drops out most, just stops working for a couple seconds. The housing won't hold the battery door on correctly and doing all the tricks including wrapping the whole thing tightly in tape doesn't help.

Stages is very quick to acknowledge the problem, and confirm it with the supplied picture. It's no secret to anyone that it's a design flaw.

I don't doubt that the second gen housings work correctly. But the fact remains that the first gen ones don't, they'll all break in time due to a design flaw. To charge $200 to switch housings is unacceptable. Asian copies of the product brand new cost much less than that, so they're doing this to profit, not just to cover materials and such.

And that is the core of the issue right there. They've chosen to try to profit off of their design flaw/failure and double charge their early supporters instead of doing the right thing.

They should only charge about $50, which should include shipping both ways, to switch from a broken first gen housing to a working second gen one. To go the route they've now chosen puts them in a category of companies I will boycott, not support.

Also to be clear we're talking strictly original owners here.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    An update from me here.

As you can see above, I've done a lot to try to stick up for Stages but I'm in this boat too.

I am original owner, went through all the troubles of having doors replaced, having the whole unit replaced, having more doors replaced with the new door design, etc.

And then the power drops. Power/cadence just drops for a few seconds randomly through the ride, or maybe not randomly, but often enough where the unit is not trustworthy or usable.

And Stages no longer will do anything about it.

I do not think that making all gen 1 housing owners pay $200 to switch to gen 2 housings to have a working product is honorable.

It's a very well known design flaw. They have the fix, they have the replacements. They won't fix it. Not acceptable. So $200+ shipping both ways or nothing? Not acceptable.

I didn't think they would do this, really didn't believe it at first, but it's the truth. They've shafted their customers after all with the first gen units. Their price was never worth only 1 year of a working product. They've lost all support from me and I will never sell one of their units again. I've switched everyone to 4iiii that wants one.
    I don't know what's going on with their power drops. I got them with brand new 6800 and 9100 units with a Garmin 1000 head unit. Never had a problem until recently across 5 or 6 other bikes. I don't know if they have "special" firmware now that they produce a computer or Garmin has "special" firmware now that they make the power pedals, but something is weird and different. They were pretty much no help though they did try a couple of different cranks on the bike (or so they said). Basically just said: :yeah that happens with some bikes, sorry."
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    It is a a design flaw and they know it.
    Changing "improving" the housing is the proof.
    I feel like I paid to beta test a product and paid for their design errors.
    further I bought a dura ace stages just before this issue for my new bike.
    last pennies they will ever see from me

the cycling landscape has grown so much in a short time. There are so many more options for all types of gear - more competition in the market and as consumers we can only benefit from this.

i had talked highly of stages in the past - but this left a sour taste in my mouth and I will be sure to tell anyone who asks about the trouble I had with my stages power meter and especially about their shady practice of charging me to correct their design flaw. 300.00 USD after shipping is approx 400.00 CAD at the time. Penny wise and pond foolish on their part.

No, no Bryton. They don't make a unit that quite fits what I'm after. Still with Garmin for head units.

My Powertap hub never has any issues at all with the Garmin head unit, it's as solid as a rock. Same issue with different Garmin head units too, and Powertap is solid on all units.

Seems as though, it's my guess anyway, that when I shift from seated to standing on climbs is when it drops out most, just stops working for a couple seconds. The housing won't hold the battery door on correctly and doing all the tricks including wrapping the whole thing tightly in tape doesn't help.

Stages is very quick to acknowledge the problem, and confirm it with the supplied picture. It's no secret to anyone that it's a design flaw.

I don't doubt that the second gen housings work correctly. But the fact remains that the first gen ones don't, they'll all break in time due to a design flaw. To charge $200 to switch housings is unacceptable. Asian copies of the product brand new cost much less than that, so they're doing this to profit, not just to cover materials and such.

And that is the core of the issue right there. They've chosen to try to profit off of their design flaw/failure and double charge their early supporters instead of doing the right thing.

They should only charge about $50, which should include shipping both ways, to switch from a broken first gen housing to a working second gen one. To go the route they've now chosen puts them in a category of companies I will boycott, not support.

Also to be clear we're talking strictly original owners here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    I don't know what's going on with their power drops. I got them with brand new 6800 and 9100 units with a Garmin 1000 head unit. Never had a problem until recently across 5 or 6 other bikes. I don't know if they have "special" firmware now that they produce a computer or Garmin has "special" firmware now that they make the power pedals, but something is weird and different. They were pretty much no help though they did try a couple of different cranks on the bike (or so they said). Basically just said: :yeah that happens with some bikes, sorry."
    I have a 105 5800 connected to my Garmin 520. Sometimes I do lose power and cadence for a second or two then it comes back on. Seemingly at the same time, my phone disconnects from the 520 as well. Because of this, I think it is a Garmin connections issue. I have heard that there can be connection issues with an 820 because of where the ANT+ sensor in is located on the head unit. The shop I frequented said that he was telling people with this issue to try and move the 820 on the stem to see if that little bit helps. He said this was specific to the 820, but may be worth a shot to try on your 1000. It's not ideal by any means, but worth trying.

Edit: Think it's worth mentioning that both my Garmin and Stages have latest firmware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by faulker479 View Post
    I have a 105 5800 connected to my Garmin 520. Sometimes I do lose power and cadence for a second or two then it comes back on. Seemingly at the same time, my phone disconnects from the 520 as well. Because of this, I think it is a Garmin connections issue. I have heard that there can be connection issues with an 820 because of where the ANT+ sensor in is located on the head unit. The shop I frequented said that he was telling people with this issue to try and move the 820 on the stem to see if that little bit helps. He said this was specific to the 820, but may be worth a shot to try on your 1000. It's not ideal by any means, but worth trying.

Edit: Think it's worth mentioning that both my Garmin and Stages have latest firmware.
    Mine were all up-to-date firmware too. Tried it on the stem and 2 other mounts (K-Edge and Garmin over-stem) still had the same problem. Happened enough that it would screw up my weighted average/normalized power for the ride. Like MMSBikeRep, it seemed to happen most often when shifting from standing to seated or vice versa - basically whenever there was a big change in power. I eventually switched to a Wahoo Element Bolt which seems to work fine, so could be a Garmin antenna problem, but the same Garmin has worked 100% on several other bikes.

It's interesting to note that the bikes I have trouble with are both top-end models (a Cervelo R5 and a Pinarello Dogma) - half wondering if it's something to do with the highest grade carbon. I know that Pinarello talks about nano-metallic particles in the Toray 1100 carbon that they use in the Dogma, so maybe that's messing with the signal?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Here's a new and seemingly very well-designed and conducted study comparing various power meters' accuracy and precision. As a multiple-Stages owner, I'm pretty disappointed, but not surprised based on my recent experience and this discussion...

https://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/fit...0qUmrc5K16z.97

Edit to Add: I also posted this to the Stages Facebook page asking for their response.
    Last edited by OldChipper; 09-14-2017 at 06:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    not surprised based on my recent experience and this discussion...
    I wasn't particularly surprised by the findings on any of those power meters.

That said, these were for "steady state" tests, which are perhaps the easiest of all standards to meet. You see even larger differences between power meters when under rapid acceleration as when sprinting. The most important characteristic of a power meter is the quality of data it produces, not whether it's easy to move between bikes or if it matches the rest of your equipment. What's important isn't how well power meters agree under ideal conditions, what's important is knowing when they differ, and by how much. Few reviewers know how to do those kinds of tests.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I had a Gen 1 PM replaced early spring but I had the extended warranty and it still covered the unit. Same issue with the battery door. They sent a replacement and all was good for about a month then the intermittent issues started up. I contacted Stages and they requested some copies of .FIT files of rides with no sensors to a combination of different sensors 4-5 rides in total. After all that they reviewed the files and indicated the replacement gen 2 unit they sent was faulty and sent a new one along. This one has worked so far but based on a number of online issues and complaints I decided that if/once this one fails I'll be done with their product. Specially as prices have improved along with options.

Sorry you're having problems wish I could offer something helpful.