Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Steel frame -- Surly or Soma or Salsa .. or?

In the market for a new road steel frame and was leaning toward the Surly Pacer. Before I pull the trigger, are there any other frames / manufacturers I should be looking at?

Must have:
    Relaxed geometry
    Fit 25c tires (or better)

Any suggestions?
    mm

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The Pacer is a nice ride. It's nothing special but it's a good solid ride. It will fit up to 32C tires. Good luck
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    I have seen pics of the Soma Stanyan and it is a beautiful frame made for wide tyres
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gunnar Sport would be the relaxed geometry you are looking for, and will take up to 28C tires with fenders and 32C without. A bit more, but made in the USA by Waterford using True Temper OX platinum tubing.

Sport – The Miles Bring Smiles!
    Last edited by esldude; 04-01-2012 at 08:13 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Last edited by M-theory; 03-31-2012 at 08:06 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    If really relaxed check out the Salsa Casseroll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    My post count is too low to add the link but take a look at the Raleigh International frameset on their website. Lugged Reynolds 853 steel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalSlug View Post
    My post count is too low to add the link but take a look at the Raleigh International frameset on their website. Lugged Reynolds 853 steel.
    It's a beautiful frame, but I think it's around $1500.00 or so, whereas I think the Pacer is $475.00...

Unlabeled
    Quote Originally Posted by martinman View Post
    In the market for a new road steel frame and was leaning toward the Surly Pacer. Before I pull the trigger, are there any other frames / manufacturers I should be looking at?

Must have:
    Relaxed geometry
    Fit 25c tires (or better)

Any suggestions?
    mm
    I bought a 1987 Trek 560 frame in great shape for $120 delivered. Nicer frame than the Pacer There are a lot of great steel frames with Pacer geometry from the late 80's, many are better quality for less money, even with a new powder coat
    Lugged Steel Treks

Uber Clyde
    I just built up a Soma Smoothie in February.
    Have about 500 miles on it so far and loving every second.
    It will take up to 28mm tires.
    At first I was worried about the extra weight of a steel bike, but it is not an issue for me.
    Between the 17.5lbs carbon bike, 20lbs aluminum bike and the Smoothie, I grab the steel for almost every ride.
    The ride quality is just amazing, for a relatively moderate priced frame.
    Mine is built up pretty heavy with 32-36h spoked wheels. I think it weighs in around 22lbs with 25mm gatorskins.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    A Genesis Equilibrium. Great frame, light, stiff, cheap, relaxed head angle, fits wide tyres, climbs well, really smooth, probably about half the weight of a surly! - ideal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm coming from a Specialized Tarmac (all carbon) and it's just too much of a racer bike. Don't get me wrong, I really like the ride, but the geometry is too aggressive and it's aggravating my back. So, I'm just going to swap over what I can from the tarmac over to the new frame.

BTW, what does 'lugged' mean in reference to older steel frames?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    In the realm of relaxed geometry, I'd say that--from a riding perspective, it's something like this:

Relaxed
    Salsa Pistola (used)
    Surly Pacer
    Salsa Casseroll
    Surly Long Haul Trucker
    Really Relaxed

All will fit 25c tires or larger. The Pacer is a great bike with nice handling characteristics. Hard to go wrong with it. Unless you're looking for a more touring-oriented bike, go with the Pacer.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    I have owned a Pacer, Casseroll (old) and my Soma Smoothie. The Soma is far and away the best riding out of all of them.
    Here it is after a bath last night. Ready for todays ride. I love the ride on this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steel frame -- Surly or Soma or Salsa .. or?-img_0228.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Nice tihsepa -- I like the smoothie too.

I'm sure the carbon fork helps with the ride quality. Seems like the smoothie is the only one that comes with an (optional) carbon fork. Now...

Smoothie w/ carbon fork vs. Pacer. Hmm.....

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nice tihsepa -- I like the smoothie too.

I'm sure the carbon fork helps with the ride quality. Seems like the smoothie is the only one that comes with an (optional) carbon fork. Now...

Smoothie w/ carbon fork vs. Pacer. Hmm.....
    Actually, it dosent really come with any fork. I will probably pick up the Soma steel fork for it though. I run Vittoria Open Corsas in a 25 and they are really good for the ride.
    Its really a smooth bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I'd go for an Genesis Equilibrium (if you can get them where you live, I'm assumng its the states?) Theres a few sites selling them for 240.

I used to have a Surly (a crosscheck, not a pacer) and it rode nicely although I found it pretty flexy when pushing hard. I imagine the Pacer will be similar since the tubeset looks the same, as does the Somas.

If you're coming from a carbon frame then I'd say you want something thats going to be quite stiff around the BB area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    DJT21 - Yah, in the states. I did a quick search but couldn't find any us distributors. Any idea? I'm only interested in the frame too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Try ukbikesdepot or winstanleysbikes, I think both will ship abroad

Unlabeled
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm coming from a Specialized Tarmac (all carbon) and it's just too much of a racer bike. Don't get me wrong, I really like the ride, but the geometry is too aggressive and it's aggravating my back. So, I'm just going to swap over what I can from the tarmac over to the new frame.

BTW, what does 'lugged' mean in reference to older steel frames?
    Lugged is a method of joining tubes illustrated on the Trek 510 below, left. Frame tubes are inserted into the lugs and the joint is brazed. It's not done much anymore because Tig welding, below right, is now less expensive, produces joints that are as strong as lugged construction, and is slightly lighter.

Lugged construction was popular because the equipment required is inexpensive and brazing skills were easier to find and cheaper to hire than Tig welders.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Lugged Steel Treks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Jamis Quest

I'm very happy with the 2011 Jamis Quest I bought last month at a leftover price. I'm running 28 mm vittorria rubino pro tires and its a smooth fairly quick ride for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Or go the whole hog and order yourself a Waterford...but bring some cash!

I've always enjoyed the ride of a good cro-moly frame bike. You'll probably enjoy it alot too. Does not have the image of Carbon but may indeed last longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    You can get Waterford quality, made in the same plant by the same people with the same material, when you get a Gunnar for $500.00 less. I've had two Gunnars and they are great. For what you describe look at the Gunnar Sport. Relaxed, comfy geometry, up to 32c tires, and even has built-in rack mounts.
    Seven Elium Race, Gunnar Roadie, Surly LHT, Gary Fisher Genesis 2,
    Miyata 610, Gunnar Sport

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    I have seen pics of the Soma Stanyan and it is a beautiful frame made for wide tyres

I agree, the Soma has lugs and the front two on the head tube are chromed which adds artistic flare in my opinion. I think it's a great looking bike that has also received high reviews. Put the bike together with silver rims and aluminum components instead of carbon black crap and you have a very nice looking bike that would look more expensive then it really was. You would have to buy a Atlantis and spend at least another $500 more and still not get chromed lugs.

PSC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Also look at the Soma ES(Extra Smooth).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast