RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

A Strange Odyssey Indeed

Hello and allow me to introduce myself, as a new member of the Forums.

I'm a Canadian, resident in Jakarta since 1988. This is the 50th anniversary of my motorcycling career, during which I've raced Grand Prix machinery at Riverside, Willow Springs, Vacaville, Suzuka, Sentul, the Ulster Grand Prix and the Isle of Man Senior TT Race. I've also worked as Japan Correspondent for CYCLE WORLD and CYCLE GUIDE Magazines.

About six years ago, following a number of close calls while racing my Ninja 2smoke crotch rocket along public roads of Indonesia, I began to recognize a shift of feeling, as I was losing my taste for danger. Simultaneously Sonny Carlsen introduced me to sport bicycling, and since 2007 I've reset my interests and commitment almost exclusively to sport and off-road biking. I've ridden from Bandung to Jakarta (mostly downhill, with some long uphill bits) and have several videos on YouTube and Vimeo documenting West Java rides on my current love, a Giant Anthem 29er. I just lost a Dahon Matrix full-scale folding bike (from so-called "Secure Parking" yet!) and am looking forward this year to buying a Surly Ogre / Surly Moonlander. My riding motto is "Live fast, die young" and I turn 73 in November. Go Mango Go, O-saki ni Shitsurei.

RoadBikeReview Member
    losing my taste for danger.
    ... I guess this is all relative to the road/trail conditions in your area...

And remember, the odyssey ain't over till the fat lady has her say.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I have a similar background except for the racing part. I rode motorcycles, all road bikes, mostly sport bikes at 1st, but sport tourers like the Honda ST 1100 & the Kaw Concour as I got older. For 35 years I rode all around the US & southern Canada via M.C. I've also been avidly racing & riding bicycles as an adult for the past 51 years. When my grand kids came along I just quit motorcycling.Sold the bike, helmets, Aero Stitch suit, etc. & to be honest I've never missed it.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.