Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Strava-gram-book

Today I noticed that Strava allows users the ability to post pictures and create posts, essentially becoming the Facebook/Instagram of cycling.

I can't say that I'm a fan. My hope is that my feed doesn't get cluttered with crap that's non-cycling related...we'll see.

P.S.

I know this forum is filled with old curmudgeons so I'll preemptively post the following inevitable comments.

What's Strava?
    Just ride your bike
    Who cares?!
    Strava users cheat!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I got an early invite to this. I'm a little reticent to post anything but rides in my feed. For me, that's what strava is. A place to post, and follow my friends ride activities. We always have fun trying to one-up each other with awesome, quirky, unusual photos and epic rides. RIDES!

If everyone starts posting non-ride posts of what they had for breakfast, or their new puppy I will be following a lot fewer people, that's for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    yeah got the early invite thing (wonder if it's "you've been invited" or everyone's been invited, but we're trying to make you feel special). Can't say I'm that interested. After their big thing about posting real stuff or whatever so their not like farcebook, hen suddenly, their just like it...
    Reminds me of the yearly segement records that pretty much everyone hated.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    My hope is that my feed doesn't get cluttered with crap that's non-cycling related...we'll see..
    To each their own thoughts on the subject. Strava is not just a cycling app in my book. It's a little more than just that though it does cycling data the best but I am one who believes if you workout, kayaks, or walks the dog for 10 hours and you want to post it then post it. It's not hard for me to hit kudos button either way.

I would love to see Strava grow more into other exercise activity tracking as to have a one stop shop to track things vs 3 more apps. If someone doesn't want to see my weight lifting workout post with a new PR in weight then they have the option to un-follow me. No tears here.

Strava like everything else has to evolve or risk becoming obsolete as they probably don't want to be stuck in the old curmudgeons thinking that things can't or shouldn't change and more than likely they want to be more inclusive vs segregating the mass by what exercise they choose to do. .

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmmm I haven't heard of this. I just tried it out.
    You kinda could always do this with a "hack" by creating a Workout that last 1min then adding comments and photos.

I could see some good uses for it.
    Unfortunately, I know a few people who'll be incessantly posting about their lives like they do on Facebook.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use Strava for mostly biking, but post other activities such as kayaking, cross-country skiing and hiking.

I certainly don't want to see Facebook type posts like pics of people's kids, pets, what they ate for breakfast, their current emotional state, etc. Use it for activities!

Right now, it appears pics can only be posted within an activity where you need to open the event to see it. If this changes, I will be tempted to unfollow these people.

What I find really annoying are all the challenges that show up in my feed. I am about to unfollow the people who post these.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

What I find really annoying are all the challenges that show up in my feed. I am about to unfollow the people who post these.
    Yeah I don't get that... as in see it, when I log in, all I see is my own stuff, then I have to actively go look to see all that other stuff.
    All the gear and no idea

Forever a Student
    So are they allowing picture uploads from a PC finally?

That's all I would care about.
    use a torque wrench

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Well technically, they're not posting those. When you sign up for challenges, Strava automatically does it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Well technically, they're not posting those. When you sign up for challenges, Strava automatically does it.
    Another advantage of Stravistix or whatever it's name is.

Has an option to hide all of that stuff from your feed, works great.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Another advantage of Stravistix or whatever it's name is.

Has an option to hide all of that stuff from your feed, works great.
    I looked around and didn't find this. I don't think "default leaderboard view" is it. I didn't find anything where you can modify what shows up in your feed.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    I looked around and didn't find this. I don't think "default leaderboard view" is it. I didn't find anything where you can modify what shows up in your feed.
    Strava-gram-book-capture.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    So are they allowing picture uploads from a PC finally?

That's all I would care about.
    Its appears pictures uploads are only available from Mobile. The desktop version only gives me the option to create a POST.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Posts could be useful for say, a race/ride review, announcing/organizing an upcoming ride (assuming not all your buds are part of a club), or similarly to this forum asking fitness/training related questions.

Strava already has a ton of activity types that can be used so I don't think posts were intended for that.

We'll see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	320354
    This would be great if I could figure out how to get to this page.

-- Warren Buffett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Its appears pictures uploads are only available from Mobile. The desktop version only gives me the option to create a POST.
    Funny...considering it has been how many years, and Strava still hasn't allowed mobile app to edit or view your equipment details item by item.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    This would be great if I could figure out how to get to this page.
    I'm going to assume you are using Chrome, and have the following Extension installed and active:

https://thomaschampagne.github.io/stravistix/

After that, it's as easy as clicking on the hamburger menu, selecting "StravistiX Settings" and scrolling.

Strava-gram-book-sx.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Funny...considering it has been how many years, and Strava still hasn't allowed mobile app to edit or view your equipment details item by item.
    That brings up a good point. In my opinion Strava should look to enhance the mobile app and bring parity between the app and desktop site, yet they choose to focus on more social media crap.

BCP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    yeah got the early invite thing (wonder if it's "you've been invited" or everyone's been invited, but we're trying to make you feel special). Can't say I'm that interested. After their big thing about posting real stuff or whatever so their not like farcebook, hen suddenly, their just like it...
    Reminds me of the yearly segement records that pretty much everyone hated.
    Same here -- thinking they "invited" everyone. Didn't seem to be working on the mobile app last night. Definitely hope it doesn't turn into a Facebook newsfeed kind of deal filled with garbage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm going to assume you are using Chrome, and have the following Extension installed and active:

https://thomaschampagne.github.io/stravistix/

After that, it's as easy as clicking on the hamburger menu, selecting "StravistiX Settings" and scrolling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sx.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	320355
    I have Chrome on my laptop at home, but I'm sure I don't have this extension. Probably because I have a knee-jerk reaction to instantly close any pop-ups that want to install additional software.

I'm still using Win 7. Will this still work? I'll try installing it, thanks!

-- Warren Buffett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I have Chrome on my laptop at home, but I'm sure I don't have this extension. Probably because I have a knee-jerk reaction to instantly close any pop-ups that want to install additional software.

I'm still using Win 7. Will this still work? I'll try installing it, thanks!
    Stravistix is a browser polugin for either Chrome or Opera I think. The OS shouldn't matter much so long as you're using Chrome.

I really need to donate some money for Stravistix. It is that good. Guy who devs it in his freetime is great.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You could always post pictures...

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I really need to donate some money for Stravistix. It is that good. Guy who devs it in his freetime is great.

Seeing how he gives us just about everything Premium membership does but for free, and even some other great cool stuff, I'd agree.

I for sure would never be a premium member, I think too poorly of Strava and their coding team. As in why the hell can't we upload pictures from a PC yet? And why are you sending me emails telling me to upload unfiltered pictures? Strava doesn't deserve any money at all, but the Stravistix dude does for sure.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seeing how he gives us just about everything Premium membership does but for free, and even some other great cool stuff, I'd agree.

I for sure would never be a premium member, I think too poorly of Strava and their coding team. As in why the hell can't we upload pictures from a PC yet? And why are you sending me emails telling me to upload unfiltered pictures? Strava doesn't deserve any money at all, but the Stravistix dude does for sure.
    Strava created the idea, they pay for the servers and bandwidth were all this crap is hosted, plus the personnel to maintain and update this on a daily basis. To say Strava does not deserve any money is a joke.

Where do you think the StravistiX guy gets his data from?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    You could always post pictures...
    Initially, you could only post pictures if you synched your Instagram account with them.

Later, they changed it where you could add pictures to an activity from your mobile.

Now, you can simply post a picture with out the need to create an activity of any kind, but still only from mobile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast