RoadBikeReview Member

Strava iPhone upgrade v2.0.1 - battery use?

Hi All

i know many of you, including myself, have been upgraded to the latest version v2.0.1 of Strava for the iPhone. The latest features are great, start activation is much faster and upload time is faster.

One potential drawback that I hope I'm wrong about. I have only used Strava twice since the upgrade but it appears that my battery usage is much greater since upgrading to the latest version of Strava. i hope I'm wrong since one of my primary reasons for switching to Strava was the lower battery usage.

Anyone else compare their previous battery usage with the current version of Strava? What do ya think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    The new Strava zapped the battery dry when I was on 60%. Hardly got in 12 miles and phone died. It stunk because I had to make a phone call and discovered dead battery. Better be on 100% heading out on your ride. My iPhone is only 3 months old.
    Then phone gets hot too I noticed.
    Last edited by osteomark; 12-02-2011 at 05:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

upgrading bike vs component upgrading.

Probably a loaded question, being a sport of pouring money down the drain, but are you better off getting a lower end bike and just upgrading the components?
    I would think financially it makes sense to upgrade the components.
    I'm trying to see the benefit of going from a 2011 Trek 1.2 that I paid $650 for to a $2000 bike.
    Would I gain a lot of speed in my rides or races to justify the $1400 difference?
    Or is it all about just riding and getting stronger which you can do on an entry level bike and some modest upgrades?
    Just a newbie, but I did upgrade my Sora shifters to Tiagra and the cranks from FS Vera to Tiagra and I do feel a nice improvement. They were used but excellent shape for 75$ for both so I feel like that was a good financial move.
    I'm a newbie, so just wondering how others are approaching the question.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You might want to check and see if the GPS is staying on the whole time. They usually go in-and-out. I don't use Strava but have had this issue with a lot of other apps. Very annoying, and it usually happens with a new upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBarron View Post
    You might want to check and see if the GPS is staying on the whole time. They usually go in-and-out. I don't use Strava but have had this issue with a lot of other apps. Very annoying, and it usually happens with a new upgrade.
    You make a good point but checking my GPS signal during riding is a bit tough to do. I only noticed this battery usage issue after my recent software upgrade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Ditto.

John
    Good to know, I was about to start using it on my 4s

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You can probably just start the app at home and watch it for a few minutes. Usually they go on/off. That said, it may be something else entirely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I've no noticeable battery issues with the upgrade.
    One thing I always make sure to do is close out any unneeded apps.
    Double tap the home key, and scroll the the icons on the bottom.
    Long press on the app you dont need in memory, and X it out.