Bike Wing Conspiracy

Strava - Lost a KOM today I didnt know I had

Received an email today that a segment I did not create but had a KOM on has been lost to another rider.

I went to look at the segment and it is from a ride I did in 2009 and is on the other side of the country.

I didnt even know I had it.

Then I looked at the rider that took it and realized it may be a fake. I was doing 24mph but the new rider took it doing 40mph on a flat. Seems a bit fishy to me.

I find it humorous that for a split second I was dismayed at having something I didnt know I had taken away as well as having it taken away by a false reading.

Strava takes it to a whole new level for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got
    Till it's gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sic transit gloria mundi

Bike Wing Conspiracy
    I didnt know Gloria was sick.

-Name the movie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    Sic transit gloria mundi
    General Patton's last words - in the movie that is.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Bike Wing Conspiracy
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    General Patton's last words - in the movie that is.
    I was going for History of the World Part 1, but we will accept your answer as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I got a rash of those last year - some guy riding a recumbent bike (with faring no less) was creating short flat segments all over the place (with names like 'Carrcroft to Pizza hut) and since his time was faster than mine, he stole my KOM that never existed because there was no segment there. If I'd have created a segment.. I 'lost' at least a dozen KOM's that way. Funny thing is - now a good year later, many of those segments have gotten competitive and the original creator is well down on the list..

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I had that happen to me on my MTB a while ago.

I'm tempted to go and try to get my KOM back. The guy didn't beat me by much and I was riding with a slower friend. But, it's kind of a schlep to go ride that trail again, and I don't care enough to drive out on my own or ditch my friends to try to get it back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Someone probably created the segment after you had already ridden it. When strava creates the leader board of a new segment it will look at past rides. You were probably the KOM all along. If you look at your KOMs tab you can see all the KOMs you currently have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I find this happening a lot around bike paths. I use bike paths to cut across cities so that I do not have to ride through down towns on my long rides and I would say that it is a weekly occurrence where someone is making a new segment. It is not uncommon for a 6 mile stretch on the bike path to have 10 different segments such as "Bike shop to stop sign" or "parking lot to church". In all honesty save the segments for things that are really a challenge and not just flat stretches where it is about pointless.

The last time I rode said bike path in February I won about 7 KOM's that I have no idea were established segments. Come to find out one guy contacted me wanting to "train" together next time I rode. I deleted his message and went about my day. Can you say creeper? What happened to going out and just riding?

Hucken The Fard Up !

I am KOM on a segment I created, from my door to 20km away , all steady climbing, which is my standard training ride.

Nobody has beaten be yet, I guess they are all fighting for the 200mt segments.
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    True that when a segment is created, Strava "looks backward" and builds a leader board. What's also true is that Strava will automatically create segments and give me the authority to name/edit it if it is a section that seems to have a clear beginning and end and I'm the only rider to have crossed it. This happens to me often on big, steep climbs. I come home and have KOM and the segment has been ridden "1 time by 1 person." And that person is me. But I didn't create the segment. Many of them I delete, as they are wacky. A few, I modify and rename. It does draw the attention of others to roads they haven't ridden.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Test for EPO!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    I am KOM on a segment I created, from my door to 20km away , all steady climbing, which is my standard training ride.

Nobody has beaten be yet, I guess they are all fighting for the 200mt segments.
    Ending the segment in your living room is another way to guarantee everlasting KOMness! ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    Ending the segment in your living room is another way to guarantee everlasting KOMness! ;-)
    Oh man, I am so doing this! Can I rep you for this shady idea? Haha ;)
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

Hucken The Fard Up !

Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    True but my segment starts at my door that is on a very busy crossing, that many cyclists take on their way out the city to the hills...

It is just that is long, people are competing on the short segments only
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    True but my segment starts at my door that is on a very busy crossing, that many cyclists take on their way out the city to the hills...

I was joking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

For what it's worth, my LBS owner created a ~22 mile 'TT' course with about 1800 ft of climbing on it. I rode the parts of the route I was least familiar with last weekend so I can give it a go in the coming weeks. I know I can't get the KOM, but I'm pretty confident I can get 'on the podium' with a decent effort.

The problem with long segments are the traffic lights and other intersection. Granted, my Garmin stops recording when I’m stopped, but on any given route, having to stop 6-7 times (or even just slow down for a changing light) will impact the overall time compared to someone who does the same route and gets lucky with the lights. So it makes sense that the shorter segments are generally more ‘true’ and thus more competitive.

Besides, riding all cross-eyed in and out of oxygen debt for 20+ miles with other motor traffic isn’t really a safe or smart thing to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    You may have your Garmin set to stop and start, but Strava uses elapsed time for segments. I leave my Garmin on all the time anyway. It doesn't mess up my training metrics like that.

I think long segments are less effected by a couple intersections than you think. Those little stops are a great opportunity for recovery. Now a segment in a city, with a lot of intersections, is pretty dumb. One of the climbs near me has two largish intersections on it and my times are most effected by how I hit the lights and whether or not I have a load with me. It hasn't stopped me from getting some times that I think are representative, but I probably only ride it about one in four times like that.

Short segments are pretty silly too, IMO. I think they should take at least a minute in order for people's various devices' recording frequencies not to mess with the times too much. Kick and scream all you like, you'll never get people to turn off Smart Recording on their Garmins or manually set the recording frequencies on their phones.

Clearly I've overthought this. Where I live, the density of segments isn't so great that I haven't been able to create some, and I try to do a reasonably good job choosing end points when I do. So I've thought some about how to reduce impact from intersections and alternate routes and how to choose segments that even make sense in the first place.