Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    fu

Stung by a wasp or a bee while riding...

I guess there is a first for everything. Today during my daily ride, i felt something small hit my belly. It felt like a flying insect, then I felt the sting. It must have been a wasp or a bee. I've swallowed bugs before while riding but I've never been stung. Has that ever happened to you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    While mountain biking, I was stung by a yellow jacket on my thigh... I was moving about 10 mph and hit hit my leg and I liiked down and OUCH!!! For some reason I have a low pain threshold to stings...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, twice now. Both times were quite painful for 20 or 30 minutes.

waterproof*
    I used to ride with a guy who was famous for getting stung - like, several times each summer. None of the rest of us ever had a problem. My theory was, his particular body chemistry attracted them. Either that or his stanky jerseys that he never washed.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    They usually fly into my helmet and sting my head.

The worst insect related cycling event was eating a huge dragonfly that flew into my mouth

RoadBikeReview Member
    I once had a yellow jacket sting my knee cap and a wasp of some sort in my jersey to sting me 3 times, both within a week of each sting. It happens.

Wave, dammit!
    Just this past Saturday...stung in the neck. I never saw what it was, only felt it and saw the aftermath once I got home.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    was doing a road ride on a local bike trail heading back home and out of nowhere a bee comes flying towards me. Hits my hand and stings me in between my right index finger and middle finger...through my gloves. LOL it hurt like a B (no pun intended)
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Last year, I was riding up a hill and breathing pretty hard, when a wasp flew in my mouth.
    Stung me on the inside of my lower lip. Tasted like crap too...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Been stung twice this year so far!

The first time was about 5 inches from my johnson right at the top of my thigh. This was in a time trial at a stage race just as I started a wicked fast descent. My teammate, who won the TT, also got stung on the chest when one flew down the neck of his skinsuit!

The second time was a little more than a week ago when something got stuck between the arm of my sunglasses and my helmet. Stung me right in the temple! Gave me a throbbing headache for good 40 minutes and still itches.

As I was complaining about it to some guy I caught up to at the next light he proceeded to tell me about once getting stung in the back of the throat when one flew into his mouth! OUCH!

Sleep Expert
    Ok I am never riding again...
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    and hornets! don't forget hornets...
    Stand For Something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think I'll win this one...I got stung in the MOUTH by a bee damn near took me off the bike when it happened I had a mild allergic reaction and had to stop the ride and get evac'd out by the mother's team car lol

Chad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Got stung right on the finger tip. I thought I was electrocuted by riding over some fallen power lines. Almost crashed . I guess the bee was attracted by the smell of sweetness
    since I had a gel just before the incident.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Got stung in the thigh before. I must be partially allergic because my leg became paralyzed for a brief while. Had to peddle one legged back to somewhere safe and call for help.

cheers
    Never stung while riding. Have been stung while using the weed-wacker tho'. Stupid hornets nests.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' [prediction] model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day,it blew my teenage mind

Ack
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Been stung several times....usually around my belly. I have heard that bees (yellowjackets, hornets, etc.) are attracted to red.........not sure if it is true or not, but be careful wearing those red jerseys!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I got stung once last year on my knee while road riding and then last late summer/early fall I was mountain bikeing with a group and got stung 10 times. The first guy or 2 goes through and stirs them up and everyone else behind them gets attacked. When your riding singletrack in a group, you have nowhere to go to get away. That was the end of my mountainbiking for the season.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Wasp. Multiple stings inside an open jersey. Keep them zipped....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I got stung once on my ribs at mile 3 of a century. Swelled up a bit, itched like crazy. That made for a fun remaining 97 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Last year I was stung by a ??? in the mouth , about 30 secs later my lip started to swell, it lasted about an hour. 1st time for everything.

cheers

Ralph

corning my own beef
    yeah, every year or two. It happens .....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Never on a bicycle but 2x recently on the motorcycle, when a wasp flew into my jacket somehow, it was a wasp so it stung multiple times.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Knock on wood, but somehow I have managed to go all 20 years of my life without being stung by anything but a jelly fish once or twice (which is ironic, because I go to the beach maybe once every few years).

Though the other day, I was riding up and down my street after adjusting some things on my bike and did not have sun glasses on and some sort of bug flew right into my tear duct. It embedded in there and it was actually sort of difficult to get out at first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Twice last year so far not yet this year. First flew in my mouth and stung my lip man did that hurt. The second one flew in my helmet and when I swatted it out it stung my finger. No fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast