Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Russian Troll Farmer

"Stupid-nice" motorists

As bad as hostile motorists are, I despise "stupid-nice" motorists almost as much. You know the type; those who creep behind you at 10 mph just to keep from passing you on a hill, even though there is no oncoming traffic. Now you have to wonder about what their intention is as well as your climb!

Yesterday, I was riding a rail trail on my gravel bike, and got to a marked road crossing. Guy in a white car comes to a hard stop, even though I'm not even up to the roadway yet. He waves me across, even though there is clearly traffic coming the other way, and not slowing. I wait for the cross traffic to pass, start to go, THEN he decides to give up on waiting. I just yelled "YOU SHOULD'VE JUST GONE, BUDDY!!!!"

Thank you for letting me rant.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

What the what???

"Stupid-nice" motorists

Agreed. Iíve had the exact same thing happen to me on more than one occasion. Itís frustrating. And sometimes they get pissed because you didnít accept their generosity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I just point at the oncoming car and wave the original one on.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll either wave them on and thank them or take their offer and thank them, depending on the circumstances.

I think that the biggest problem is the inconsistencies from cyclist to cyclist. These "polite" drivers don't know if the cyclist is going to yield or blow right thru so they yield to the cyclist to avoid a possible or perceived accident.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    IThese "polite" drivers don't know if the cyclist is going to yield or blow right thru so they yield to the cyclist to avoid a possible or perceived accident.
    So now that is our fault too????

I hate the ones that have the right of way at a 4W stop and they want you to go.... while all the other cars at the 4W are a lot more aggressive drivers. I just cross going really slow. That happened today!

If you have the right of way... GO! dammit.
    BANNED

Proud luddite
    It sure would make things simpler if motorists and cyclists do what theyíre supposed to do. It would take the guesswork out of things. Unfortunately that just isnít the way things are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    So now that is our fault too????

I hate the ones that have the right of way at a 4W stop and they want you to go.... while all the other cars at the 4W are a lot more aggressive drivers. I just cross going really slow. That happened today!

If you have the right of way... GO! dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    It sure would make things simpler if motorists and cyclists do what theyíre supposed to do. It would take the guesswork out of things. Unfortunately that just isnít the way things are.
    I'm in total agreement with both of you.

As far as this being our fault, that's not what I mean. We all know that there are plenty of knucklehead cyclists that just bomb the Xings. We also know that there are plenty of knucklehead drivers that don't know that cyclists are vehicles that must comply with the rules of the road. Put all of that in an intersection and it can easily turn into a Fools Paradise.

All I know is that I follow the rules of the road and take the right of way when it's mine and yield it when it is theirs. But like I said, if they want to wave me thru when I am yielding to their right of way I will thank them and go, if I can safely. I will also stop and put a foot down when there is too much traffic for me to take his wave safely, but I will thank him none the less.

We will probably have these problems until cycling is covered in "Drivers Ed" the "Rules of the Road" and drivers tests. And probably beyond that.
    Last edited by velodog; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:09 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    One of my peeves is the motorist that can't figure out that they need to pull their car up to the painted stop line, at which point the vehicle is sitting over the embedded sensor that triggers the traffic light. I have stood at intersections looking back at cars that don't want to "get too close to that cyclist", so they hang back. Thus we sit there and sit...... I have at times waved them forward and they have no clue why I want them to move up. Then they get annoyed at cyclists who run red lights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    You guys had it easy. My recent encounter was the opposite. I was on my bike stopped at a traffic light at 4 way intersection and happened to be standing on the sidewalk. The light turned green and I was about to cross, then suddenly a Land Rover SUV appears on my left trying to speed around the right turn (instead of slowing down for the pedestrians crossing as the drivers are supposed to) where I was about to cross. I jammed on my brakes, then he jammed on his brakes. He couldn't have missed the sight of me because there was nothing obstructing the view of me from where that SUV was coming from. I gave him a dirty look as I crossed. Then he rolls down the windshield and yells out at the back of me, "A$$ hole, get off the sidewalk!".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    You guys had it easy. My recent encounter was the opposite. I was on my bike stopped at a traffic light at 4 way intersection and happened to be standing on the sidewalk. The light turned green and I was about to cross, then suddenly a Land Rover SUV appears on my left trying to speed around the right turn (instead of slowing down for the pedestrians crossing as the drivers are supposed to) where I was about to cross. I jammed on my brakes, then he jammed on his brakes. He couldn't have missed the sight of me because there was nothing obstructing the view of me from where that SUV was coming from. I gave him a dirty look as I crossed. Then he rolls down the windshield and yells out at the back of me, "A$$ hole, get off the sidewalk!".
    Now that's a WTF moment.
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    sometimes, i stop and look the other way (like i'm waiting for a friend) until traffic clears.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Russian Troll Farmer
    If I'm stopped, the "arms crossed against the chest" gesture usually gets the message across, but you can't use that when you are moving, either in a car or on a bike.

Oh, and as for the Land Rover incident.....well, what do you expect from a yuppie vehicle like that?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    As bad as hostile motorists are, I despise "stupid-nice" motorists almost as much. You know the type; those who creep behind you at 10 mph just to keep from passing you on a hill, even though there is no oncoming traffic. Now you have to wonder about what their intention is as well as your climb!

Yesterday, I was riding a rail trail on my gravel bike, and got to a marked road crossing. Guy in a white car comes to a hard stop, even though I'm not even up to the roadway yet. He waves me across, even though there is clearly traffic coming the other way, and not slowing. I wait for the cross traffic to pass, start to go, THEN he decides to give up on waiting. I just yelled "YOU SHOULD'VE JUST GONE, BUDDY!!!!"

Thank you for letting me rant.....
    The thing that pisses me off both as a motorist and a cyclist is the failure to make eye contact when right of way can go either way. I'll always stop at a MUT crossing for cyclists if there are no oncoming cars and the cyclist makes early eye contact so I can wave him through while he's still moving.

I appreciate how often motorists afford the same courtesy as it prevents me from having to cross traffic from a dead stop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I can't believe cyclists get mad when motorists err on the side of caution ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Yeah, WTF for sure. He obviously didn't see you there, sitting on the sidewalk. Then, oops, you appeared.

He was looking for pedestrians, walking, and thought he had it made. If you had been in the street next to the curb, he would have seen you. That's why he said, "A$$ hole, get off the sidewalk." You took the good ole boy by surprise. Naturally, being a member of the Land Rover elite, he got pissed off.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    I can't believe cyclists get mad when motorists err on the side of caution ...
    Sometimes their ďerringĒ makes the situation more dangerous. Thatís the point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another scary scenario is when you're in a nice-sized group at a 2-way stop you usually cross in small groups and soft-pedal or wait until everyone is up, but sometimes a driver will stop and wave you through although they don't have the stop sign. It's a nice gesture but if they get rear-ended you know we'll get the blame...I just assume be responsible for myself but thanks.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Do I have this right? A car being polite and stopping to let you go is scary, dangerous and reason to be ticked off?

I think I've heard it all now. Is there no end to what people will ***** about and over-analyze to the point of making something so simple into a major "issue"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Another scary scenario is when you're in a nice-sized group at a 2-way stop you usually cross in small groups and soft-pedal or wait until everyone is up, but sometimes a driver will stop and wave you through although they don't have the stop sign. It's a nice gesture but if they get rear-ended you know we'll get the blame...I just assume be responsible for myself but thanks.
    Yep, if the speed limit is 45 mph, you could assume oncoming cars from both directions would see the stopped car, and a bunch of cyclists crossing the road, in enough time to stop, same as a car turning from a side road or a farm vehicle going 15 mph. If they can't, they're going too fast and would "not be in control of their vehicle at all times." That's a misdemeanor.

Also, generally speaking, cops consider a bike peloton as a single vehicle at intersections as well as on the road. Cop have ticketed whole groups for sailing through red lights or stop signs. Those following the lead rider are "just as guilty." They coulda stopped. But once the juggernaut is proceeding across the intersection, motorists are supposed to wait until it clears. If its a large group event that may be split up into smaller groups, the motorcycle cops show up and seize the intersection until they all [but a few stragglers] get passed.

I think its great motorists are aware of cyclists and will grant them the right of way if uncertain. Nobody wants to hit a person on a bicycle. If the timing is right, rider can cross the intersection between cars without making anyone stop. I see guys doing this all the time, yet to see an accident.

If a car stops for me, I'll smile gratefully, slow almost to a track stand, and motion them forward. If they hesitate, I'll thread left around their rear. They then get the message I'm not going to be in their way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Do I have this right? A car being polite and stopping to let you go is scary, dangerous and reason to be ticked off?

I think I've heard it all now. Is there no end to what people will ***** about and over-analyze to the point of making something so simple into a major "issue"?
    There is no room for courtesy on the internet.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just pretend they are your team car. Maybe ask for a water bottle as they pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Yeah, WTF for sure. He obviously didn't see you there, sitting on the sidewalk. Then, oops, you appeared.

He was looking for pedestrians, walking, and thought he had it made. If you had been in the street next to the curb, he would have seen you. That's why he said, "A$$ hole, get off the sidewalk." You took the good ole boy by surprise. Naturally, being a member of the Land Rover elite, he got pissed off.
    If the view of me was obscured by trees on the sidewalk, I can see such scenario happening but it wasn't the case at all. It was an intersection with wide open view in all 4 sides. He was speeding to begin with when approaching the intersection (engine & tire sound). IOW, he was driving like one of those who own the road. Must be the elite membership thing...

RoadBikeReview Member
    This: Some drivers that react to seeing you as if they are seeing a Martian. Or they don't realize that with the sun reflecting off the front windshield and window tinting you can't see what the heck they are doing stopped. Waving you through? Giving you the finger? Playing games on their cell phone?

Then there is where I need to cross from the right in the bike lane and cross several lanes of traffic to make a left turn. I look back as best I can, which is very well. (Spinal injuries won't allow me to rotate enough to really look back for more than few degrees.) The driver sees me, or so it appears. He refuses to past. But I can't tell if he really is getting ready to speed up and pass me. I can' turn enough to see and motion appropriately. It's like a weird game of chicken.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Yep, if the speed limit is 45 mph, you could assume oncoming cars from both directions would see the stopped car, and a bunch of cyclists crossing the road, in enough time to stop, same as a car turning from a side road or a farm vehicle going 15 mph. If they can't, they're going too fast and would "not be in control of their vehicle at all times." That's a misdemeanor.
    I should add that many times when this happens it is not on roads with clear views, either just ahead or behind of blind curves or hills, hence my apprehension when a car stops to be nice and let us through and possibly a car flying up behind him not expecting a stopped car...With clear views our groups tend to keep rolling stops.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post

Do I have this right? Someone posting a legitimate concern about cars ignoring right-of-way is a reason to post an asinine reply attacking the OP rather than the subject?

I think Iíve heard it all now. Is there no end to what people will ***** about and over analyze...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast