Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master debator.

On the subject of hilly rides and top speed...

I hit 52.0 mph today, didn't really pedal at the top like I should have. Some of the corners were 40+, gawd I love that kind of stuff!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35502520
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    I, for one, am certainly impressed.

Nobody asks if I'm really a Nats fan NOW!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    That's fast. I live where it's flat, but I've hit 50+ on some steep river valley roads.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    That is indeed fast. I used to try and go like that when I was young and immortal, but as a husband and father of two young teen boys, my daring is necessarily diminished.
    Ou et le flamme rouge?!!

Dimples
    So you decided to brag about hitting 52 mph, but completely neglected to mention your "ride" with a 49.9 mph average speed and 122 mph max speed

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35276747

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyg55
    So you decided to brag about hitting 52 mph, but completely neglected to mention your "ride" with a 49.9 mph average speed and 122 mph max speed

Nice country around Winona, for a bike or a motorcycle ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007

Activity Type: Motorcycling | Event Type: Recreation

The first link had:
    Activity Type: Cycling | Event Type: Training

Master debator.

I never exceeded 55 mph, that ride was fraught with power line interference . If those values were true that would be illegal.

I ride in circles..
    I've only managed to hit 49.9mph.. so I'm impressed. I feel comfortable at high speed but never have a chance!
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    i think the fastest ive got to was 45mph, however im light and dont bother waste energy cranking it down hills, i just freewheel and enjoy the ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    what kind of motorcycle?

...give's me an excuse to post this.

edit: w/ image this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On the subject of hilly rides and top speed...-1123.jpg  
    Last edited by jparman; 06-03-2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: don't know how to post images apparently
    Why do they call it a "shortcut"? Shouldn't it just be "the way"?

Master debator.
    2007 ZX6R. My speedometer on it is waaaay off, like so many motorcycles.
    That was a little ride with the gf, her little 250 Ninja barely cracks 100 mph. I let her ride mine and now she wants a bigger bike, big mistake, huge!

Is not a clown car
    I was pretty obsessed with going as fast as I could for a while. Managed to hit 62 on one of the hills round here even! Shortly after that though, one of the riding partners here hit the deck at 40ish and got hurt pretty bad. All of us locally have since chilled out of the top speed endeavors now. Fastest I've gone this year so far is 52. I used to sprint into the hills in an effort to boost it up. Now I just ride, or coast into them, and let my prodigious gravitational advantage take me down.
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

Dimples
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky
    I never exceeded 55 mph, that ride was fraught with power line interference . If those values were true that would be illegal.
    lol. I see how it is

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by jparman
    what kind of motorcycle?

...give's me an excuse to post this.

edit: w/ image this time.
    Nice, a friend did that with his ZRX. Imagine the possibilities, although I think a trailer would be more useful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    When I first started riding I was damn heavy and that helped on the drops. My top speed was 64.8 mph. To this day I'm pissed I didn't get that last .2. It would have put me at the speed limit for our freeway! In hindsight that was dangerous but wow was it fun.
    2013 Cannondale Evo HM with SRAM Red and SiSL2 Cranks
    2010 Madone Project One 6-Series SRAM Red
    2010 Fuji D-6 Pro TT SRAM RED
    2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29er Carbon 2
    2012 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1

Wave, dammit!
    I've only been above 50 once and all I could think of on the way down the hill was "no turtle, no turtle, no turtle..."

There is a hill close by where I can regularly get to 42 or so on the way down and that's plenty fast enough for me.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Master debator.
    I dunno, ya know. I don't ever really worry about crashing at speed. Perhaps it's motorcycle experience with high speed cornering/trackdays, or mountain bike racing etc.
    I always check my equipment out before most every ride because it just makes me feel better and eases my mind. If I take off on a ride having not run my hands along the tread of my tires and checked the air pressure I feel uneasy.
    I don't feel that going 35 or 50 is going to make that much difference if I go down, unless I hit something that stops me. It's more road rash for sure, but as long as I have clear sight lines I'm going for it. I feel that if you worry about it it surely won't help your riding. Like mountain biking, when you have trees whizzing by you 3 feet away at 30 mph, if you fixate on them (target fixation) you'll have a better chance of riding right into one.
    Bicycle riding and motorcycling have more in common than you can imagine. One of the biggest killers (next to alcohol) on a cycle is failure to negotiate a corner, and I've seen it with road bikers also. Training and practice can make one more confident and a better rider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1natsfan
    I, for one, am certainly impressed.
    not you only mate, im impressed too.

wots...uh the deal?
    Well, going down Garvin isn't the place to try to hit a top speed, but I hit 47 before leaning a curve and both tires dry skid about right about an inch...backed off then.

I need to get back over to Winona and do some hills. Well, after I drop 30 pounds or so. Maybe next year.
    martymoose

Master debator.
    I actually hit 53 on Garvin once, but Charlie Boy hill (cty rd 8?) is even faster. I always end up waiting for cars on Garvin, but it's hard and probably not safe to pass.

pedalpedalpedal
    My max is 47mph on a mountain bike... on the road. Now that I'm married, I've stopped that nonsense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

again

Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    My max is 47mph on a mountain bike... on the road. Now that I'm married, I've stopped that nonsense.
    How many times have i read or heard stuff like that,i guess roadrash heals but the headache you'd get from your wife would never stop.

What Would Google Do.
    pfft.... I hit 47mph going uphill in my 55x11
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

Folsom City Blues...
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleendurance
    pfft.... I hit 47mph going uphill in my 55x11
    Same here, hit 47 mph last year. I rarely get over 35 around my close to home rides. I still like to ride fast when it's safe to do so. But, since I swapped out my standard for a compact, I find it a bit challenging to hit higher speeds.

Peace
    Last edited by Elfstone; 06-08-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    Tao Te Ching

The movement of the Tao is to return
    The way of Tao is to yield

Heaven, Earth and all things

are born of existant world.

The existent world is born of nothingness of Tao

Master Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast