RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Suggestions for bike wall mount

Friends, I just bought a new (to me) Specialized S Works Tricross. I would like to get it off the floor of my cluttered garage. The walls are plywood. It would be easy to mount some sort of hooks to hang the bike to get it out of the way. I did see a device on Amazon that supports the bike through the front wheel. It does not strike me as the best solution and it would not work because it positions the bike at right angle to the wall. I know there are rubber-coated hooks that could support the top tube. Just wondering if there is any more secure solution. Suggestions?Tx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    From one SWorks Tricross owner to another:

Nothing wrong with hanging the bike from the front wheel using a rubber coated hook. You can always rotate the hook 90 degrees to get the bike to hang parallel to the wall.

I mounted a couple brackets that are made to support a closet clothes bar so that I can also hang the bike from the top tube when I want to work on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for bike wall mount-img_5400.jpg   Suggestions for bike wall mount-img_5401.jpg   Suggestions for bike wall mount-img_5402.jpg  
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    From one SWorks Tricross owner to another:

Nothing wrong with hanging the bike from the front wheel using a rubber coated hook. You can always rotate the hook 90 degrees to get the bike to hang parallel to the wall.

I mounted a couple brackets that are made to support a closet clothes bar so that I can also hang the bike from the top tube when I want to work on it.
    Much obliged. I like that bracket rig and could mount two very easily on the plywood walls. They should be pretty easy to find.
    So tell me how you like your Tricross. This is the one I got on Ebay:
    Specialized Tricross S-works Carbon Fiber Complete Bike 16lbs Tubeless
    I will take mine for its maiden voyage once I get pedals installed. I was shocked at how little the bike weighs with the Stans wheels. It is my first "serious" bike and I was not sure what to get until I read about the Tricross. I live in rural Maine and the roads suck. Lots of irregularities on road surface, loose dirt shoulders and my driveway is a 1/3 mile gravel road. I figured that I would be sacrificing little by getting this over a pure road bike. And with more relaxed geometry, CX tires and fenders I could use it in more conditions.
    Anyways, would appreciate any Tricross love or suggestions (no hate please....).

Cranky Old Bastard
    I found some nice brackets (like those in the pics) at Lowes for not much money. But the problems I had with that solution were: picking the bikes up to hang them and not getting a pedal in the face when you walked by.

Many garages have lots of overhead space. I like the rope/pulley systems that easily raise the bikes up above head level.
    You can buy them or make your own for really cheap.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Yeah, you should be able to find those brackets at any big-box hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. Just be aware that the hook part has some sharp edges - I wrapped some duct tape around them so as to not scratch up the top tube.

As for my Tricross: I bought the bike used a couple years ago. It's a 2010 model. The original owner raced it for one season. He trashed the original SRAM Red rear derailleur and replaced it with a Rival, but otherwise it was all Red. I expected to use it mainly as my winter bike. As it turns out, I actually like it better than my road bike, a Trek 5200, so now I ride it all year. Definitely a more relaxed geometry. The wheelbase on the 56cm frame is a full inch longer than on the Trek 58cm frame.

I've had a few issues with it:
    After I had it for about a year and 7000 miles, one of the crankarms developed a crack. Specialized replaced it under warranty (even though I was not the original owner and had no paperwork).
    14,000 miles later I needed to have the BB bearings replaced.
    Also just replaced the big chainring. Went with a FSA instead of the very expensive SWorks chainring.
    The Roval wheelset that came with the bike didn't hold up well (I'm about 190 lbs and spokes started popping) so I replaced them with tried & true 32 spoke Mavic Open-Pro's.
    Lots of gravel roads here in NJ also, and I run 25mm gatorskins.
    Even with the heavier wheels and tires it weighs in at about 17.5 lbs. The only thing you give up is that it's not as aerodynamic as a road bike, but to me that's a minor issue. I actually get a sense of satisfaction whenever I pass some dude on a tricked out road bike (or better yet, a TT rig).

Enjoy yours.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Randy, thatnks for the pulley suggestion. I can see the advantage of not getting a pedal to the face.

Alan, appreciate the bike feedback. I assume you would not have spent a considerable time on it unless it worked well for you. And pretty cool that Specialized replaced the crank arm under those circumstances. Thanks for your kind responses.
    Happy trails.
    David

RoadBikeReview Member

Suggestions for bike wall mount

I have 4 of these in my garage. They are awesome and it doesn't hold the bike by the wheel like the hooks do. I like that the hoist holds my bikes by the bars and under the seat.

http://www.performancebike.com/revie...st-Deluxe.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by leadout_kv View Post
    I have 4 of these in my garage. They are awesome and it doesn't hold the bike by the wheel like the hooks do. I like that the hoist holds my bikes by the bars and under the seat.

PERFORMANCE Product Reviews and Ratings - Indoor Storage - Bike Hoist Deluxe from Performance Bike
    SOLD!
    That is a very cool rig. And a great sale at Performance. Really appreciate the link.Have to wonder if there is a way you could beef up that rig and ride suspended above the garage floor. Now that would be extraordinary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Suggestions for bike wall mount-bike-hanging.jpg

from RACOR

OTB

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Suggestions for bike wall mount-image.jpgThe best

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    The best
    Definitely the coolest!

Thanks for the closeup shot. Brilliantly simple design!
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Definitely the coolest!

+1. Now I know what I'm going to do with some bars and stems I've got lying around.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Definitely the coolest!
    I live in an apartment and can't attach anything to the walls but I could make an upright stand. Maybe use 1 3/4 pipe for the upright with a tapered 1 3/4 to 1 1/4 elbow. Paint the pipe off-white so it blends in with the wall.
    Wouldn't be hard to make a double rack either.

Yeah, simple and cheap yet good looking, just the way I like it!