RoadBikeReview Member

Suggestions for shoes with foot problems

I've been using shimano spd 540 pedals with some basic peal izumi shoes for the last year or so. I started out with this setup probably for the same reason many people do--inexpensive, can walk with the shoes, etc. Lately though I've been having some foot problems. I think I may be developing a morton's neuroma in my right foot. For the past 2 months I've had this feeling of having a bald up sock underneath my foot. It started out pretty subtle about the beginning of the year. Now I'm also starting to get some tingles on the bottom of my left foot that I notice when I walk barefoot. I've got an apt. scheduled with a podiatrist.

I'm looking to switch my system to spd sl in hopes this will help alleviate the problem, and will probably go with shimano ultegra to get a larger pedal than the spds. Now I have to figure out what kind of shoe to go with. At this point expense is not an issue. I need something comfortable, and stiff that will disperse the force as much as possible. Any suggestions?

Also had a few questions, do the shimano spd sl pedals come with the cleats? Are the cleats adjustable forward and back like the spd? Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcome. The foot issues really have me frustrated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go see a podiatrist who is experienced in dealing with sport related diagnostics. I've had chronic gout and related issues with my feet and after a massive inflammation last year went to a podiatrist my wife recommended. My wife happens to be a pilates instructor and the podiatrist was also an avid cyclist. I was videoed walking and cycling prior to the creation of custom footbeds including orthotics. It was well worth the time and money spent.
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    All clipless pedals come with cleats. All cleats have some adjustability in both directions, and angular.

No foot expert here, but I suspect any real road shoe with a stiff sole (and properly fitting, of course) will be an improvement.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    All clipless pedals come with cleats. All cleats have some adjustability in both directions, and angular.

No foot expert here, but I suspect any real road shoe with a stiff sole (and properly fitting, of course) will be an improvement.
    IMO, any properly fitting shoe with adequately stiff sole whether road, mtb, tri, or whatever, will be equivalent as far as foot health and comfort are concerned. Nowadays, almost all low cost recognized brand-name road and mtb shoes are plenty stiff. They tradeoff is they're usually heavier and have fewer "features". Same goes for various recognized brand-name pedal systems, mtb or road.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    A bad fit on your bike can also result in foot pain. Yes, pedals and shoes do play a part, but so can your saddle. Proper saddle position, whether moving it fore or aft, and having it properly angled up or down can make a huge difference. Having it too far in one of these aspects can result in foot discomfort. Before spending the money, take the time and just move your seat around to see if that helps. Only make minescule adjustments at a time though.

as far as shoes go, I will never own another pair of shoes other than Lake, their BOA system is awesome and they fit like a glove. They are something you have to order sight unseen but worth every penny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Just to clarify, this is not an issue where I have pain or numbness while riding. (Though sometimes when the condition was bad I did feel some discomfort in the bottom of my right foot). The issue is I now have had a permanent feeling in the bottom of my foot while not riding.

I did go see a podiatrist who confirmed I have a Morton's Neuroma which is a swelling of a nerve. He recommended me getting some metatarsel pads until the condition clears. I also broke down and switched from my MTB pedals and shoes to Ultegra SPD SL road pedals and S-Works shoes (outch! painful on the wallet but comfy on the feet). I'm hoping this will disperse the forces and reduce if not elminate the pressures that caused the condition from my original setup. I rode 40 miles yesterday and the shoes felt great. Hopefully I can get this cleared up before it turns chronic.

RoadBikeReview Member

TheSnide
    Aug 2012
    I have solved my feet problems! After trying all kinds of fit products the solution that finally worked are the Pearl Izumi foot beds with adjustable arch and varus support. I was trying to solve the problem with saddle height, lacing systems, and various varus support products. Arch support is what ended up fixing it. Just did RAMROD 150mi ride no numbness, or hot spots.
    1:1 Insole System - Pearl Izumi

Suggestions for shoes with foot problems-wp_20130717_002.jpgSuggestions for shoes with foot problems-wp_20130717_003.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Sidi makes carbon soled shoes that are high quality and very stiff. Try to flex their top MTB shoes. Their normal size is great for narrow feet but they also offer widths.
    A cheap MTB shoe will flex much more than the high end, but generally be easier to walk in.
    Any MTB shoe is easier and safer to walk in than a road setup.
    I use Sidi cycling and motorcycle footwear for on and offroad racing and training of each.
    KTM 300XC- This must be what it is like to be on Crack without the side effects!
    Litespeed Vortex
    Ellsworth Truth
    Good riding to you!

TheSnide
    Aug 2012
    I love Sidi shoes and have had many pair. The shoes I am on now are also carbon soled and were among the stiffest available in 2011. The Shimano R310's are custom moldable, but none of that solved my problem. Arch support solved my problem and I just want others to know to look there if nothing else is working. KTM's are sweet!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I have had a Morton's Neuroma for about 10 years now. Had the cortisone shots, didn't cure me. I have been wearing orthotics for over 20 years as well. I always put metatarsel pad's on my orthotics as well, can't walk barefoot very well, always have something on my feet. I have been wearing Specialized Pro Carbon shoes for the last 6 years after trying a number of different brand shoes. In April I had a new pair of orthotics made by a new podiatrist and they are working very well. The mold of these new orthotics eliminates the need for a metatarsel pad and they work quite well. I rode 165 miles this past weekend without discomfort. So I think finding a podiatrist that understands how to best support your feet and arches properly with orthotics is key. Unfortunately, I don't think the Morton's Neuroma will go away, you have to make sure you wear shoes that always give some extra room in the width, good luck, PM me if you have any questions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I recently got some CycleSoles made and, so far I am very, very pleased with them. The whole process on my side took maybe 10 minutes at the shop and I picked them up two days later. My shoes fit better before I even begin to tighten them, my foot feels substantially more secure while riding and my feet are much more comfortable after piling up some miles. Highly reccomend them.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle on intervals

TheSnide
    Aug 2012
    Anotherguy.... Thanks for the reply never heard of those before. Had to look them up. I will check that out. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    CycleSoles could be interesting, if only they were more widely available. There's nothing in the Midwest, so that's a no-go for me...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    SUPERFEET
    Look them up. They are also sold in REI, Hudson Trail Outfitters, maybe LL Bean.
    KTM 300XC- This must be what it is like to be on Crack without the side effects!
    Litespeed Vortex
    Ellsworth Truth
    Good riding to you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Hopefully Cyclesoles will become more available. I'm a long-time orthotics wearer who has been prone to foot problems for a long time... I got Cyclesoles a few months ago and they are a great product. My previous orthotics were custom made for Specialized BG shoes and worked well for a while but eventually I started getting some foot problems from them. Those orthotics were shaped for the cycling shoes but still made from a walking/running perspective. The person who made them was very skilled and did get some things right like the metatarsal button though. Prior to that I would just find cycling shoes that my walking/running orthotics worked in. I actually had pretty good luck with that. I've never had good luck with stuff like Superfeet for cycling. They don't support your forefoot at all. For off the shelf I think the Specialized BG footbeds are actually one of the best products.. they have real support, if you can find one that fits your arch correctly they might get the job done even for people who need a real orthotic.

The cyclesoles support your ankle/knee alignment far better than any other orthotic I've had, they look dramatically different because they are molded while you are in a "pedaling position" instead of a "standing position". There is far more forefoot support. I am still getting used to them, I've rode them less then 1000 miles. I had a problem with left foot pain going in (sesamoids behind the big toe), and they haven't fully solved that problem yet, but the shop was able to adjust them in that spot and hopefully that will finish solving the problem.

Overall though.. cyclesoles just feel fantastic as you increase the force on the pedals. Really great stuff.

The other awesome thing about the cyclesoles is they were made at a bike shop, no doctor appointment or other PITA needed, and they are pretty reasonable in price. This time I got the cyclesoles + new road shoes + new MTB shoes for the same price my old orthotics alone cost. With specialized and now Bontrager you can now buy MTB+road shoes that fit identically so you don't need 2 pairs of orthotics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Foot Problems

Quote Originally Posted by benInMA View Post
    Hopefully Cyclesoles will become more available. I'm a long-time orthotics wearer who has been prone to foot problems for a long time... I got Cyclesoles a few months ago and they are a great product. My previous orthotics were custom made for Specialized BG shoes and worked well for a while but eventually I started getting some foot problems from them. Those orthotics were shaped for the cycling shoes but still made from a walking/running perspective. The person who made them was very skilled and did get some things right like the metatarsal button though. Prior to that I would just find cycling shoes that my walking/running orthotics worked in. I actually had pretty good luck with that. I've never had good luck with stuff like Superfeet for cycling. They don't support your forefoot at all. For off the shelf I think the Specialized BG footbeds are actually one of the best products.. they have real support, if you can find one that fits your arch correctly they might get the job done even for people who need a real orthotic.

The cyclesoles support your ankle/knee alignment far better than any other orthotic I've had, they look dramatically different because they are molded while you are in a "pedaling position" instead of a "standing position". There is far more forefoot support. I am still getting used to them, I've rode them less then 1000 miles. I had a problem with left foot pain going in (sesamoids behind the big toe), and they haven't fully solved that problem yet, but the shop was able to adjust them in that spot and hopefully that will finish solving the problem.

Overall though.. cyclesoles just feel fantastic as you increase the force on the pedals. Really great stuff.

The other awesome thing about the cyclesoles is they were made at a bike shop, no doctor appointment or other PITA needed, and they are pretty reasonable in price. This time I got the cyclesoles + new road shoes + new MTB shoes for the same price my old orthotics alone cost. With specialized and now Bontrager you can now buy MTB+road shoes that fit identically so you don't need 2 pairs of orthotics.
    BeninMa, I also have had foot problems for many years as my post back in August will attest. Presently, my main issue is that I do not have any fat pads under my metatarsal heads, so the heads (bone) have no protection and they get pretty sore from the pounding of walking. I have custom orthotics that help somewhat, but it's still an issue. wondering if the Cyclesoles can be made with additional custom add-ons for people with specific issues. I'll check their web site and give them a call, where in MA. did you have your made? Curious about the process, thanks