Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunscreen

banned
    Just curious. All you guys picking SPF 70 and similar. How long are you guys out in the sun? Are these a couple hours on a nice day or all day in the Mojave? But also, how many of you wear sunscreen every day? Maybe you do. I know I do as do a lot of other women. But I don't have the impression most guys go through the body lotion routine women do after every shower. I suspect you guys still think that's too feminine.

But if you don't usually wear sunscreen but wear SPF 70 when you ride because you think SPF 15 wouldn't be enough, you could be doing it wrong. I'm no doc, but over a lifetime, I suspect there's a good chance you'll accumulate less sun damage by always wearing a good SPF 15 sunscreen every day than by wearing SPF 70 billion but only on your rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My dermatologist told me anything over 45 is overkill. Has me applying 30 minutes prior to riding. Also wants me to reapply every 90 minutes. That's not going to happen
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campy Chorus 11.
    2013 BH Ultra Light. Campy Super Record 11.
    2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL. Ultegra electric 10.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Hamilton View Post
    Just curious. All you guys picking SPF 70 and similar. How long are you guys out in the sun? Are these a couple hours on a nice day or all day in the Mojave? But also, how many of you wear sunscreen every day? Maybe you do. I know I do as do a lot of other women. But I don't have the impression most guys go through the body lotion routine women do after every shower. I suspect you guys still think that's too feminine.

But if you don't usually wear sunscreen but wear SPF 70 when you ride because you think SPF 15 wouldn't be enough, you could be doing it wrong. I'm no doc, but over a lifetime, I suspect there's a good chance you'll accumulate less sun damage by always wearing a good SPF 15 sunscreen every day than by wearing SPF 70 billion but only on your rides.
    After a crash last year I wore Spf 15 daily and Spf 100 when riding. Prevents some scarring. But on most days I was not outside like i am on a ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    A year or so ago, one of the bike magazines did a test comparing some sunscreen brands. Surprisingly enough the cheaper stuff did just as well as the expensive sunscreen. The cheaper stuff is Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch SPF 30. I bought some and used it last year, and no sunburn. It is very waterproof and I never had any burning eye issues. Best of all you can find it at most drug stores and I have found it on sale a couple of times. Although a little more expensive than some sunscreens, it was about half the price of the "high end" sunscreens tested. I also used it at the beach last summer with great results, no sunburn.

I ride in circles..
    Coppertone Sport and Sport Faces.. SPF 50 on my face.. 30-50 on my body.

I usually wear long sleeve compression tops.. actually looking to get sun skins for my legs as well. Sick of cooking the tops of my legs.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Saikidodo View Post
    anything spf 30s and above. reapply if you're going to be out there for awhile. seconds on nothing above the eyes. craft has pretty good sunsleeves too - much thinner than PI's
    The PI's are heavy (and long), but it's surprising how well the evaporative cooling works if you're moving, at least in the low humidity of northern NM. I may pick up a pair of the craft to see how they work. When I'm climbing anything steep, at a low speed, the PI sleeves are irritatingly warm. Well, almost everything is irritating when climbing steep stuff.

What it is
    I use Bullfrog gel on my neck, arms, and legs. I use Neutrogena on my face. I still have problems with burning eyes on occasion. I think that I have some Neutrogena on my hands when I put on my helmet and adjust my glasses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I get my sunscreen from Australia as it contains zinc for the good stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    The PI's are heavy (and long), but it's surprising how well the evaporative cooling works if you're moving, at least in the low humidity of northern NM. I may pick up a pair of the craft to see how they work. When I'm climbing anything steep, at a low speed, the PI sleeves are irritatingly warm. Well, almost everything is irritating when climbing steep stuff.
    Try the specialized arm coolers. I have both the PI's and the Spec. and I find them to be a little better on really slow hard climbs. But then I really don't mind the PI's when I am climbing on really hot days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another vote for Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch. I keep 30, 45, & 55 on hand & select based on how long I'm riding & time of day.

FYI, Drugstore.com has the SPF 45 right now for $11 for 2 tubes. (Free shipping @ the $25 order level . . . add a box of Honey Stinger Waffles for $14.99 & you're there.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Try Blue Lizard. It's pricey but worth it. You can find it on Amazon

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    I use some kinda waterproof SPF 50 stuff on my face, ears and neck, especially since as I'm getting older all my freckles are joining hands. Otherwise I like my cyclist's tan on my legs and arms.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

It's Good For You!
    I've been using Sol Altitude or Multi-sport from a couple of years now. It seems to be closer to the organic varieties as far as ingredients (not too toxic) but it still works great. I have tried several of the organic brands and although I prefer the ingredients, they just don't seem to cut the mustard with being as effective.
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredneck View Post
    Try Blue Lizard. It's pricey but worth it. You can find it on Amazon
    any links would help us much....thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the NoAd brand of 30 or 45+ depending on duration of the ride. It is less expensive so I don't worry about trying to conserve it.

Also tried Pearl Izumi arm coolers last summer. Need some more time with them before I can recommend them. Sounds like they work good for others.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GA1911 View Post
    A year or so ago, one of the bike magazines did a test comparing some sunscreen brands. Surprisingly enough the cheaper stuff did just as well as the expensive sunscreen. The cheaper stuff is Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch SPF 30. I bought some and used it last year, and no sunburn. It is very waterproof and I never had any burning eye issues. Best of all you can find it at most drug stores and I have found it on sale a couple of times. Although a little more expensive than some sunscreens, it was about half the price of the "high end" sunscreens tested. I also used it at the beach last summer with great results, no sunburn.
    [2] I saw that, it's from "bicycling" magazine. I saw that & love it, goes in smoothly & like you said have never had any issues with it, been using it now for almost two years now, wouldn't think of ever using another one now.

I do apply on my forehead, but doesn't get in my eyes. The trick is to not OD on the sunscreen above the forehead, too much is never a good thing, all you need is a nice base layer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I have used Rocky Mountain Sunscreen for years (living at 7,000 ft) http://www.rmsunscreen.com/ . A little science: spf 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays; anything over 30 is generally a waste of money giving a false sense of protection. Spf is not a measure of blocking UVA; use a sunscreen that blocks both UVA and UVB containing avobenzone, zinc oxide or titanium dioxide (yeah, titanium!). Put on about 30 minutes before getting in the sun so it penetrates and is less likely to wash out with sweat. Slather it on; most people don't put enough on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    completely agree. The sunscreen companies are about money. "The higher the SPF number, the more likely people will buy our product," I believe I heard this in the news in say October of 2011, when they said that the highest SPF made is SPF 50 or 55, as in IF you buy a SPF 70 you're buying BS, no such thing they are tricking you. So like you just wrote, buy anything from 30 to 50 & you'll be safe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    That is why is Australia they are not allowed to rate above 30spf. They also have different testing guidelines I believe.

pedalpedalpedal
    I use this stuff in SPF45. I've tried the higher SPFs, and all they did was create a visible film on top of my skin that would never soak in.

I'm 3/4 Irish, 1/4 Scottish, and ****ing pale as a ghost, and the SPF45 keeps me that way, no matter how long I stay in the sun. I'm also 36, and people think I'm 25, so all I can say is that it works.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 for Neutrogena Ultra Sheer. Great stuff. 45 works great for me.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campy Chorus 11.
    2013 BH Ultra Light. Campy Super Record 11.
    2013 Giant Defy Advanced SL. Ultegra electric 10.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12