Jack of no trades

Question Tablet for Kickr

Hi guys! I'm back with another question.

I'e recently tired of the power issue I and many others have been experiencing with the Cycleops Hammer, so I went out this morning to return it and grab a new Wahoo Kickr.

Now I'm in need of a tablet to do the spindown calibrations and firmware updates. Now, keep in mind that I don't have a cell phone, and have no intention of getting one, so I'm in need of either a tablet with iOS running version 8 or newer, or one with Android or newer with BLE enabled (as per the Kickr manual).

Seeing as I won't be using this tablet for anything other than spindown and updates, I'm not looking for the top of the line, break the bank device, and would prefer something in the just-good-enough category.

Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    Hi guys! I'm back with another question.

I'e recently tired of the power issue I and many others have been experiencing with the Cycleops Hammer, so I went out this morning to return it and grab a new Wahoo Kickr.

Now I'm in need of a tablet to do the spindown calibrations and firmware updates. Now, keep in mind that I don't have a cell phone, and have no intention of getting one, so I'm in need of either a tablet with iOS running version 8 or newer, or one with Android or newer with BLE enabled (as per the Kickr manual).

Seeing as I won't be using this tablet for anything other than spindown and updates, I'm not looking for the top of the line, break the bank device, and would prefer something in the just-good-enough category.

Thanks in advance.
    You can buy a used Android phone (no sim card needed) for very little. Even cheaper, convince a friend to let you borrow thiers occasionally

Here is an example of something that would work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-SCH...EAAOSwRE5aTu6U

she keep you buyin rats
    amazon's fire 7 tablet is $50 ...it's not high spec, but it runs the wahoo fitness app and zwift mobile link with no problem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    +1

Seems like the best answer youíll get.

Jack of no trades
    Thanks guys! So if I were to grab something like the Amazon Fire HD8, then I'd be good to go?

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    If you're using it in Zwift you can do the spin down in that program. I just learned that today. Not sure if it does the advanced spin down though.

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    If you're using it in Zwift you can do the spin down in that program. I just learned that today. Not sure if it does the advanced spin down though.
    Not a chance. I did the Zwift spindown calibration on the Magnus trainer and it threw every out of whack. I will never again trust Zwift for trainer calibration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    Not a chance. I did the Zwift spindown calibration on the Magnus trainer and it threw every out of whack. I will never again trust Zwift for trainer calibration.
    after reading about all the problems folks have had running calibration within Zwift, I've been scared off too. I always use the CycleOps software to calibrate my Magnus

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I would stick to iOS for Zwifting via mobile. For compatibility's sake, it's a much more stable platform for the developers to work on and it's been released for about a year. On the other hand, the Android app is in relative infancy and will likely have teething issues. There's also the matter of Apple's A-series chips always having better graphics performance than other ARM SoCs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    I would stick to iOS for Zwifting via mobile. For compatibility's sake, it's a much more stable platform for the developers to work on and it's been released for about a year. On the other hand, the Android app is in relative infancy and will likely have teething issues. There's also the matter of Apple's A-series chips always having better graphics performance than other ARM SoCs.
    I did not realize there was an Android app for Zwift (other than to control it remotely). I think the OP just wants a cheap device to do calibrations and FW updates via BLE, not to actually run Zwift on it.

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I did not realize there was an Android app for Zwift (other than to control it remotely). I think the OP just wants a cheap device to do calibrations and FW updates via BLE, not to actually run Zwift on it.
    Keep in mind, guys, I'm only interested in the tablet for the Kickr calibration and firmware updates; I won't be using it to run Zwift. For that I have my laptop.