RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

Tarmac crack or scratch? Help!

Hey guys, first time poster here!

So I bought my first carbon bike, a Tarmac Pro Race. Online retailer, purchased used, so it came in a box. In going over the bike, it looks very very clean and in great shape, but I've found two hairline marks on the frame where the top tube meets the seat tube. I'm not sure if they are cracks or scratches, as I can feel them with a fingernail, but just barely. The quarter test is no help because of the location. It's a 10r carbon frame, so it doesn't have a paint job (other than the blue stripes, which is where the marks are), just clear coat. I showed these pictures to the mechanic at my local bike shop and he said "You're fine, don't worry about it", but I'm paranoid... What do you guys think, is this something I need to be concerned about, or am I being paranoid?
    Tarmac crack or scratch? Help!-c625669e-e9e1-4437-8f3d-024257a3b871.jpg

Tarmac crack or scratch? Help!-unnamed-7.jpg
    Last edited by Blucas0303; 05-09-2018 at 06:49 AM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Not on the left side...just the right? It looks like a paint crack but it would be really tough to find out for sure w/o sticking a scope inside the frame and looking.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    What did the seller say when you contacted them, was the bike sold as new?

If you're paranoid about it, send it back for a refund and keep looking. If it is brand new I wouldn't accept that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Seeing they start and stop on the paint only I would think you are ok. But maybe take it somewhere and have them check it out.

Huge in Japan
    The pattern definitely looks like manufacturing/design related. By that I don't mean critical manufacturing/design flaw but is simply indicative of the design of the product or the process of making it. It could be something as benign as a joint not being properly cleaned/prep'd prior to painting with cosmetic consequences or it could be something failing. It needs to be inspected to know for sure.
    Last edited by craiger_ny; 05-08-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    What retailer did you get it from? Was it new or used?

Darling of The Lounge
    Tap the area with a coin to listen for differences in the resonance between the left and right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    no way anyone on here is expert enough to know or give advice on analyzing it imho.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    no way anyone on here is expert enough to know or give advice on analyzing it imho.
    +1

But sit back & watch the so-called 'uber-experts' and 'shop-owners' (former) from RBR here weigh in when they've never worked with carbon in their lives, except to visualize and sell it. The worst will be when they finally turn on the user, and declare it that the problem is 100% the owner's fault. It's the same as Trump's current world on here when it comes to this. They can't trun away the $$$$ and ole RBR cannot risk losing advertisers, thus let the biased war begin as usual.

Blucas, sincerely hope it works out for you, and something is found out without you having to either endure it and/or pony money up. Hopefully it will be quickly rectified.

Unfortunately, you're just another in a long list across this site and many different web sites of the problems carbon, and only carbon at the moment, still has. It's inexcusable at this point, but no one wants to listen to that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BelgianHammer View Post
    +1

But sit back & watch the so-called 'uber-experts' and 'shop-owners' (former) from RBR here weigh in when they've never worked with carbon in their lives, except to visualize and sell it. The worst will be when they finally turn on the user, and declare it that the problem is 100% the owner's fault. It's the same as Trump's current world on here when it comes to this. They can't trun away the $$$$ and ole RBR cannot risk losing advertisers, thus let the biased war begin as usual.

Blucas, sincerely hope it works out for you, and something is found out without you having to either endure it and/or pony money up. Hopefully it will be quickly rectified.

Unfortunately, you're just another in a long list across this site and many different web sites of the problems carbon, and only carbon at the moment, still has. It's inexcusable at this point, but no one wants to listen to that.
    Nice irony there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

banned
    Feb 2011
    +1

Or you can be like the left wing pinko commie media and post to your own agenda, in this case twist facts to make it seem that carbon is somehow inferior to steel and aluminum for frame building when in fact it is superior.

As far as your pics, looks to be nothing more than a paint crack. Keep an eye on it or you can take it to the local LBS and see what they say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post
    Or you can be like the left wing pinko commie media and post to your own agenda, in this case twist facts to make it seem that carbon is somehow inferior to steel and aluminum for frame building when in fact it is superior.

As far as your pics, looks to be nothing more than a paint crack. Keep an eye on it or you can take it to the local LBS and see what they say.
    Seriously went out of his way to shoehorn that in there, didn't he? And then the ironic fail that Jay pointed out, lol. Can't make this stuff up.

OP, I have a similar "crack" on my top tube that runs the width of the matte striping. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's in the paint, not a frame defect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jay Strongbow for the forum win of the day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was under the impression that specialized wasn't sold online, only in stores, unless we are talking ebay here?

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderator's Note

Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post

Keep PO nonsense in PO.

flinty-eyed moderator

Moderator's Note

+1

Keep PO nonsense in PO. Also keep your opinions about the other posters to yourself, they are not needed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    still , such an issue as serious as a potential frame crack requires expertise the average rider and poster doesn't possess. And a frame crack can have injurious or deadly potential. I think it is legally treacherous to be giving advice about it other than to seek expert advice from bonafide experts, imho.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Nice irony there.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jay Strongbow again.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Tap the area with a coin to listen for differences in the resonance between the left and right.
    Yup. Short of getting an ultrasonic test run (ha!) this technique is pretty effective. A change in sound right at the "crack" would suggest that it is a crack. If the sound is the same on both sides of the "crack" and right on the "crack" then it most likely is NOT a crack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blucas0303 View Post
    Hey guys, first time poster here!

So I bought my first carbon bike, Online retailer, purchased used, so it came in a box. In going over the bike, it looks very very clean and in great shape, but I've found two hairline marks on the frame where the top tube meets the seat tube.
    oh you added this little nugget.

Get some low number cutting compound and see if the "cracks" will cut out.(almost looks like someone put some tape there at sme stage, very neat straight lines) Hopefully after a gentle cut and polish the lines will go away and then you can just ride the thing. Keep an eye out in that area when you wash it but you should be fine. Think of how much money you saved. Have fun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it was a crack wouldn't you expect it to go beyond the painted part and be visible on the matte carbon?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    still , such an issue as serious as a potential frame crack requires expertise the average rider and poster doesn't possess. And a frame crack can have injurious or deadly potential. I think it is legally treacherous to be giving advice about it other than to seek expert advice from bonafide experts, imho.
    +3!

Nobody on this forum looking at this post/pics can determine what's going on with that frame.

If online retailer did not disclose this with pics or specific mention than you should have options with credit card company or PayPal. Ebay is very good with buyer protection if the seller did not disclose things like this with used bikes.