Thread: Tarmac upgrade

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017

Tarmac upgrade

I am looking to make some changes on my 2013 Tarmac. Currently it has a 105 groupset, Fulcrum Racing 5 for daily riding, Reynolds Assault wheels for racing, setup as a 10 speed, Ti skewers, FSA crank, and a Dura Ace 7800 12-25 cassette.

This will be my daily rider and also for the occasional one day race.

Things I'm considering changing are the groupset, cassette, and cockpit. I'm interested in solid lockup but also to slightly lighten the bike.

What are some good recommendations for a new groupset either mechanical or electric and what are the benefits of it? Also, benefits of a new drop bar?

I'm reading a lot but still ignorant on many components. Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I went from SRAM 10 mechanical to eTap and really like it and have had no problems. The eTap is a bit different shift logic than Shimano (don't know Campy) but super intuitive, natural and easy to use out of the shop. Obviously it's 11 speed so you'd need to get a cassette. SRAM or Shimano both work just feel a touch different so personal pref and price will determine which way you go. You'd need an 11 speed chain again either SRAM or Shimano or KMC etc...The inside diameter of the chain is the same as 10 speed so your front rings will be fine. Verify your Reynolds or whatever you're going to use can be converted to 11 (freehub wise). Maybe they are already 10/11 just verify. If not you'll need some new hoops or hopefully just a new freehub...

All ^^^ can be said about Shimano electric. Really good proven stuff just not wireless and much smoother feel and different shift logic.

Bars to me are all about fit so if the reach and drop etc...work stay with it. Aluminum is the way to go as the weight dif is small to nil and much cheaper. With that said, a buddy sold me his Specialized S-Works Aerofly carbon bars for $100 so I jumped. The reach and drop matched my previous bars so they feel the same. The flat tops are super comfortable compared to the round bars I had been using. Again personal pref. Point is don't spend a bunch of money unless you know the bars work for you.

Lastly, upgrading to lose weight is a huge mistake unless you are a weight weenie (not being mean they are out there) and just want to go for a light build. Nothing wrong with that just realize the little weight you shed will make virtually no difference in feel or performance. Fit and reliability are important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Personally, the firs thing I would change is I would replace the FSA crankset with a Shimano 105 or Ultegra.

If you are looking for a full new groupo, you can't do much better for the buck than the Ultegra 6800 mechanical (11-speed). Shifting is sublime. If you are flush and weight (or lack thereof) is important to you, go with Dura Ace 9000.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    Thank you both. That's very very helpful. I'd love to go etap but unless I find a crazy good deal I will likely stick with mechanical. Currently etap is my 1st choice but I'll keep looking and work down from there. I'll definitely ditch the FSA crankset also. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Upgrade your tires if you have room to move up there.

Now-a-days it's a safe assumption that any well adjusted not worn out groupset will work really well (including what you already have) so if you go there I would make that about ergonomics. For example Campy Record would be considered an upgrade from what you have but if you hate the thumb thing like I do it wouldn't be. But if you like it more it would be an upgrade.

Other than tires there's really nothing you can do that will impact performance other than obtaining a better fit and comfort. And doing that is individual specific so you need to go with what feels right to you on the bike not what's an upgrade on paper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasmap View Post
    I am looking to make some changes on my 2013 Tarmac. Currently it has a 105 groupset, Fulcrum Racing 5 for daily riding, Reynolds Assault wheels for racing, setup as a 10 speed, Ti skewers, FSA crank, and a Dura Ace 7800 12-25 cassette.

This will be my daily rider and also for the occasional one day race.

Things I'm considering changing are the groupset, cassette, and cockpit. I'm interested in solid lockup but also to slightly lighten the bike.

What are some good recommendations for a new groupset either mechanical or electric and what are the benefits of it? Also, benefits of a new drop bar?

I'm reading a lot but still ignorant on many components. Thanks in advance!
    You don't say how many miles the bike has on it or whether you are experiencing any equipment issues, but unless things are wearing out or not working well then you will not really experience much improvement from changing equipment. Those Ti skewers are probably not the greatest choice but not a real issue either. Change the cassette if you need different gears. Change the bar/stem if your fit is not right or you're having comfort issues. Otherwise you're looking at a fair bit of spending for not much result. Ride hard/long and wear stuff out, then replace with higher line equipment if desired.