Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Master debator.

That's twice this year so far.

Last night I was about a half mile from home, finishing up my ride. A silver Mercury Mariner nearly ran me off the road. The driver was across the white line, I nearly went off the road avoiding her. It was more instinct than anything, I don't remember hearing the vehicle coming, I sensed it and swerved.
    I caught up to her at the stoplight, and her windows were down. She was probably mid 40's, nice looking, looked like someone's mother. I scooched my bike over to the passenger side and hollered something to the effect of "you stupid effing c-word". She ignored me, and continued to look down at her phone that she held with one hand in her lap. I wanted to kick her car, but it took me a bit to catch up to her, and the light changed before I could say anymore so off she went.
    I felt kind of bad at what I said, it's possible she never even saw me and didn't know what was going on. But I take offense to someone almost killing me because they have to text while driving. I got her license number, but I don't think it'll do me any good.

Searching the internet for a portable missile launcher for bikers so far had yielded no results either.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    She was probably mid 40's, nice looking...
    Should have banged her. That would have been a win-win ;)
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

Dr. Buzz Killington
    It may only be the second time this year, but you may want to consider investing in a helmet cam.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Texting drivers are a terrible hazard. It's hard not to react violently, but an informative rant like "Please don't text while driving; you almost hit me!" might be better than cursing, if you can manage it. If you have the breath to add, "I have your license number, and I'm going to report this to the police unless you apologize and promise not to text while driving anymore."

But that would be hard to do under the circumstances.

It was more instinct than anything, I don't remember hearing the vehicle coming, I sensed it and swerved.
    I use a mirror; the "sensing" of the approaching car happens when it's much further away.
    To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Master debator.
    I normally don't react too violently, but sometimes I just feel like venting. I've heard truck drivers purposely drive close to cyclists "just to scare them skinny fa&&ots" also. WTF is wrong with people?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I scooched my bike over to the passenger side and hollered something to the effect of "you stupid effing c-word".
    Definitely not the best choice of words. That's basically the equivalent just trying to get back at her... two kids pushing back at each other "Stop hitting me!"... "No you!" ... "You hit me first!" isn't very productive is it? So if you were just trying to get back at her, well good try I guess. But if you were trying to get her to learn from her mistake and respect cyclists, I would say you failed pretty bad.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    It may only be the second time this year, but you may want to consider investing in a helmet cam.
    Jokes are better if you use the smileys. It was funny anyway.
    Isnotimpressedbystoreboughtplasticbikes

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nooky,

Glad you came out unhurt. All you can do is be careful.
    Isnotimpressedbystoreboughtplasticbikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Take the plate number and phone it in to the cops. A report of a car driving erratically may get a response.

I added my local police into my phone after a driver pulled a knife on one of my group rides. I have also called in a few distressed animals. One lost and another I think had been hit.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

Master debator.
    Truthfully, if I would have had the time to school her on safety and awareness of cyclists, I doubt she would have said " you know you're right, I'll put down the phone for good, and practice being a better driver especially when it comes to bicyclists and pedestrians. I am so sorry".

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    Definitely not the best choice of words. That's basically the equivalent just trying to get back at her... two kids pushing back at each other "Stop hitting me!"... "No you!" ... "You hit me first!" isn't very productive is it? So if you were just trying to get back at her, well good try I guess. But if you were trying to get her to learn from her mistake and respect cyclists, I would say you failed pretty bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Truthfully, if I would have had the time to school her on safety and awareness of cyclists, I doubt she would have said " you know you're right, I'll put down the phone for good, and practice being a better driver especially when it comes to bicyclists and pedestrians. I am so sorry".
    You're right. It's highly unlikely she would have said that. It's slightly less unlikely that she might have thought about later, and maybe thought about it again the next time she was tempted to do that.

I mean, it can't hurt. "You could have killed me" is a sentence that might make someone think. Especially when they see it could be true. People who text and drive know they wander all over the road. They just hope nothing bad will happen.
    To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    Ok, dad. It won't happen again.
    *hangs head in shame while walking away*

Jokes aside, it's difficult to come up with anything more meaningful than what nooky shouted out when the adrenaline is flowing and blood pressure high because you almost just got killed. I don't handle such situations any better than the OP did. After the fact, when cooler head prevails I might feel that I should have but at that very moment it's pretty hard to do.
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I think a "C" word flung at someone that almost ran over you due to texting is warranted.
    3 road bikes, 2 MTB, 1 CX and 1 Fatbike....for now

Cranky Old Bastard
    Searching the internet for a portable missile launcher for bikers so far had yielded no results either.
    Ever seen those Estes model rockets? You can get them at MalWart.
    Cheap, electric ignition and amazingly fast acceleration. Fun!

Years ago I got the idea to mount a couple under my truck, with the nosecone loaded with paint. You could put a pair along the top tube (but watch out for the hot exhaust).

Even if someone saw you fire one off they likely wouldn't believe their eyes until you were long gone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ....... I scooched my bike over to the passenger side and hollered something to the effect of "you stupid effing c-word".
    So apparently... you have issues with women.

The real truth is: You have no affect on the way people behave. The actions of every human being on Earth is completely out of your span of control. Oh... with the exception of one person... yourself.

When you remove the stuff from your story that you have no control of... your story becomes you behaving poorly.

I always say take care of the most important things first. And since more than half of the people on this planet are women... I'd worry about that issue first. Maybe stick to the cycling paths or Mtn bike areas... but you should probability avoid cycling around the public.... until you can resolve those "women issues".

Of course... I could be completely off base and I apologize if I am. Maybe you just had a rage event... still serious but a different issue.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post

The real truth is: You have no affect on the way people behave. The actions of every human being on Earth is completely out of your span of control. Oh... with the exception of one person... yourself.

When you remove the stuff from your story that you have no control of... your story becomes you behaving poorly.

I always say take care of the most important things first. And since more than half of the people on this planet are women... I'd worry about that issue first. Maybe stick to the cycling paths or Mtn bike areas... but you should probability avoid cycling around the public.... until you can resolve those "women issues".

Of course... I could be completely off base and I apologize if I am. Maybe you just had a rage event... still serious but a different issue.
    Maybe she has "man issues". Maybe she should stay out of her car until she resolves them.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    Maybe she has "man issues". Maybe she should stay out of her car until she resolves them.
    Maybe! Where did she post? I'll reply to her post as well.

But joking aside... we've all had emotional outbursts that we (for whatever reason) failed to control. Or more likely was surprised at feeling. I once yelled at a lady who was driving an SUV that's grill was nudging me at the time. I yelled "Hey... we have laws". I assumed she would understand it wasn't legal to just run me over.

But even then... I felt bad afterwards.

If I didn't think I could keep my cool while cycling on the roads.... I would cycle somewhere else. If I found myself compelled to call women names... or subject to road rage... I'd mention that to my doctor.

IMHO... the OP's behavior was unacceptable... and the motorist didn't post anywhere for me to respond to.
    Last edited by Dave Cutter; 05-01-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Maybe! Where did she post?
    Post? Maybe her actions were enough, no post needed.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    in my mind i'd like ito yell at them: "i have a family that loves me and wants me to live", but somehow what always comes out is: "$%$(@)@ a$ehole"

RoadBikeReview Member

Possibly the dumbest, most presumptuous post I ever read considering how many cyclists get killed by careless, distracted drivers.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe someone can help me understand the phenomenon of how
    many people actually seem to be oblivious to others in general. Like
    her sitting there ignoring you. I am in shock and awe. Do you suppose
    it's an affectation or could a human being actually be so egomaniacal and self absorbed as to literally not care about anyone else.
    All I said was that our son, the apple of our three eyes, Martha being a cyclops, our son is a beanbag, and you get testy!

fu

Dave, that's a lot of reading into. While I usually call them "a$$holes" instead of the c-word - possibly because I start yelling before I can see if it's a male or female. Then again, I probably wouldn't use the c-word anyway but I can see how someone might in the heat of the moment. It doesn't necessarily mean he or she has "women issues". You're probably right on track with the rage event. In some cases a reasonable level of rage is warranted as far as I'm concerned.
    Strava profile

Master debator.
    FWIW, if it were a man, I probably would have used a male-oriented word. Of course hindsight is always 20/20, I didn't spend a lot of time conjuring up a really clever outburst, I was just shaking mad and I blurted out what I did. I'll carefully try to come up with a more politically correct non-gender-specific phrase for the next time.

So far I've got "hey you nasty rascal, you almost killed me back there, watch where you're going or I'll stomp my foot!".

fu
    FWIW, if it were a man, I probably would have used a male-oriented word. Of course hindsight is always 20/20, I didn't spend a lot of time conjuring up a really clever outburst, I was just shaking mad and I blurted out what I did. I'll carefully try to come up with a more politically correct non-gender-specific phrase for the next time.

So far I've got "hey you nasty rascal, you almost killed me back there, watch where you're going or I'll stomp my foot!".
    Let's see if you can remember that the next time you're raging!
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Can't claim that I haven't reacted similarly (both on a bicycle and motorcycle), at this point I try to remember they are in a vehicle that outweighs me by a lot and chances are they don't have much to lose if they opt to run me over at that point.

The local news had a story on teaching kids at school the issues with driving and phones, part of the story was a teenage girl saying she caused a frontal impact with another vehicle (she was smiling the whole time).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast