Are there rider weight limits for frames/bikes?
I'm looking into getting a new carbon road bike. I ride a hybrid now w/ Wobler rims that are very sturdy. I first expressed an intrest in a Roubaix, but when i mentioned the weight concern at my LBS, the owner who is my size which is about 260 lbs, said that it could hold both of us put together. I certainly wouldnt want to put that to the test. lol. One frame i inquired about online I got a response that the weight limit on the frame was 70kg or 154lbs. If there are weight limits how can I find out what they are? If anyone knows about weight limits these are the bikes I am currently interested in the Trek Madone 5.2, Specialized Roubaix SL3, and Giant Defy Advanced 2. Would they be possible for my weight? Thanks for any input
I believe treks are 300
Hanging 10 bra
It differs from manufactures according to some of their sites.
Trek has this info on their site:
we do have a weight limit on our bikes and they are as follows:
Rider weight limit of 275lb:
Road bikes with drop type handlebar
Triathlon, time trial or Speed Concept bicycle
Cruisers with large 26" tires and swept-back handlebar, Bicycles that fold.
Rider weight limit of 300lbs:
Hybrid bicycles with 700c wheels, tires larger than 28c, and flat handlebars
City bicycles: hybrids with special equipment, cyclocross bicycles: with drop type handlebars, knobby 700c tires, and cantilever or disc brakes
Mountain bikes of all types including: standard, race, cross-country, heavy-duty, trail, all-mountain, freeride, and jumping bikes of both the hardtail and full suspension variety.
Combined Rider weight limit of 550lbs:
Here is a good posts with the same or similar question...
weight limits on carbon frames?
Carbon Fiber Weight Limit
The Trek FAQ says:
Is there a rider weight limit for Trek bikes?
Yes, we have the following weight limits on our bikes:
- Max rider weight of 50lbs: Trikester, in our Kids collection.
- Max rider weight of 80lbs: All other bikes in our Kids collection.
- Max rider weight of 275lbs: Road bikes, triathlon bikes, and cruisers.
- Max rider weight of 300lbs: All other bikes, including hybrids, urban, commuter, fitness, Ride+ electric assist, cyclocross, and all mountain bikes.
- The Transport and Transport+ can also support an additional 220lbs of cargo, distributed as 20lbs on the front rack, 100lbs on the rear rack, and 50lbs on each side load rack.
- Max combined rider weight of 550lbs: Tandem bicycles.
I'd imagine there are similar specs listed on the website of the other manufacturers.
For those bikes that you listed, I wouldn't be too concerned about that problem. However you might be concerned about the durability of some of those low spoke count wheels though.