Are there rider weight limits for frames/bikes?
I'm looking into getting a new carbon road bike. I ride a hybrid now w/ Wobler rims that are very sturdy. I first expressed an intrest in a Roubaix, but when i mentioned the weight concern at my LBS, the owner who is my size which is about 260 lbs, said that it could hold both of us put together. I certainly wouldnt want to put that to the test. lol. One frame i inquired about online I got a response that the weight limit on the frame was 70kg or 154lbs. If there are weight limits how can I find out what they are? If anyone knows about weight limits these are the bikes I am currently interested in the Trek Madone 5.2, Specialized Roubaix SL3, and Giant Defy Advanced 2. Would they be possible for my weight? Thanks for any input
I believe treks are 300
Hanging 10 bra
It differs from manufactures according to some of their sites.
Trek has this info on their site:
we do have a weight limit on our bikes and they are as follows:
Rider weight limit of 275lb:
Road bikes with drop type handlebar
Triathlon, time trial or Speed Concept bicycle
Cruisers with large 26" tires and swept-back handlebar, Bicycles that fold.
Rider weight limit of 300lbs:
Hybrid bicycles with 700c wheels, tires larger than 28c, and flat handlebars
City bicycles: hybrids with special equipment, cyclocross bicycles: with drop type handlebars, knobby 700c tires, and cantilever or disc brakes
Mountain bikes of all types including: standard, race, cross-country, heavy-duty, trail, all-mountain, freeride, and jumping bikes of both the hardtail and full suspension variety.
Combined Rider weight limit of 550lbs:
Here is a good posts with the same or similar question...
weight limits on carbon frames?
Carbon Fiber Weight Limit
The Trek FAQ says:
Is there a rider weight limit for Trek bikes?
Yes, we have the following weight limits on our bikes:
- Max rider weight of 50lbs: Trikester, in our Kids collection.
- Max rider weight of 80lbs: All other bikes in our Kids collection.
- Max rider weight of 275lbs: Road bikes, triathlon bikes, and cruisers.
- Max rider weight of 300lbs: All other bikes, including hybrids, urban, commuter, fitness, Ride+ electric assist, cyclocross, and all mountain bikes.
- The Transport and Transport+ can also support an additional 220lbs of cargo, distributed as 20lbs on the front rack, 100lbs on the rear rack, and 50lbs on each side load rack.
- Max combined rider weight of 550lbs: Tandem bicycles.
I'd imagine there are similar specs listed on the website of the other manufacturers.
For those bikes that you listed, I wouldn't be too concerned about that problem. However you might be concerned about the durability of some of those low spoke count wheels though.
Check out the hottest mountain bike products from these brands!