Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Those who switched from hybrid to road bike...

Did you keep your hybrid? Why?

Since I got my CAAD10 last week, I haven't touched my hybrid...I can't decide if I should hold on to it or sell it. I mean, I really enjoyed riding it before I got my new bike, but I also don't want to keep it and tell myself "one day" i'll start riding it again, if it's likely that I won't.
    Last edited by RickRandhawa; 08-27-2011 at 02:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yes.

To ride to work. Several reasons a hybrid is better for that for me who lives in a city.
    I don't mind locking it on the street
    I can hop curbs without concern
    full time fenders are fine
    much less worry about flats with big tough tires
    I can carry stuff on a rack
    I like the upright position and platform pedals for constant stop/start in city traffic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RickRandhawa View Post
    Did you keep your hybrid? Why?

Since I got my CAAD10 last week, I haven't touched my hybrid...I can't decide if I should hold on to it or sell it. I mean, I really enjoyed riding it before I got my new bike, but I also don't want to keep it and tell myself "one day" i'll start riding it again, if it's likely that I won't.
    I beat a bent cyclist to death with it.
    Hell is other posters

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    it doesn't hurt to have a spare ride in case your CAAD needs some repairs, gets a flat tire, etc. Also, you might just want a change every so often. I'm in the same boat after just buying a new road bike.

Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I returned to biking on a hybrid. I plan to keep it for running to the store (it has a rack), riding in bad weather (it has fenders) and so on, keeping the road bike fast & lean!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hybrid was given drops bars and a remote location for the shifter for indoor trainer use. And then now it's all incomplete after parting out some stuff (cables, pads and tires namely). I've gotten the drive to suck up against harsh weather with the road bike too.

Kinda sad and wanna kick myself over neglecting it. With that bike, I was always pushing myself to stay with some "roadies" and make an impression, and realized how much I want to commit road cycling.

Fierce Pancake
    What Jay said is true. However, if (when) I get a new, better road bike, I will keep my current road bike for commuting and rainy days, and sell the hybrid instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

Stumpcake!
    Yes, I kept mine as well.

I'm usually on one my road bikes but I do occasionally tool around the neighborhood with it. When the kids were younger (read: slow) it was much easier to ride the hybrid with them than try to mess with one of the road bikes. The hybrid is also great for using as a loner for friends when they want to try cycling on the MUT with us. And finally....it's a heck of a lot of fun in the snow!

"Indecision may or may not be my problem."

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I kept mine intending to use it when riding with more casual types or as a loaner for visiting friends. Less intimidating. Unfortunately, it was stolen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by qatarbhoy View Post
    What Jay said is true. However, if (when) I get a new, better road bike, I will keep my current road bike for commuting and rainy days, and sell the hybrid instead.
    Hmmm, yes. I could see that happening ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I was on a different approach path to a "real" road bike. I started on a hybrid (Specialized Globe Vienna), then moved up to a more "roadie" type hybrid (Specialized Cirrus Comp) and finally ended up on a Specialized Roubaix Expert SL3. So what to do with the old ones? After some consideration I decided to keep the Vienna, dump the Cirrus, and ride mostly the Roubaix in nice weather on paved surfaces, etc.

I now use the Vienna (admittedly not very often) when I know I'll have a section of trail that is not paved, or when I need to carry something, or when the general conditions are less favorable to road bikes.

The Cirrus was a better bike than the Vienna, but (except for the straight handle bar and the components) not THAT much different from the Roubaix in usage. The Roubaix in and of itself is of course orders of magnitude better than either of them (full carbon, Ultegra components, etc.).

So, to cut to the chase, I decided to keep the Vienna as a "spare" for all the reasons already mentioned, and have the Roubaix be my primary bike for the 100 odd miles I put on it every week.

Ed

PS: My wife is showing some interest in the Vienna as a step up from her "ladies" Raleigh, so it would seem a good decision...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Better keep it. We've found it much easier to ride with our young boys on the city MUP with our older mountain bikes. We've actually thought of purchasing new hybrids for this purpose - we'll continue to use our road bikes on the road.

When the boys are older, hopefully, we'll all be on the road with road bikes. Plus, an extra bike or two in the garage is great for when company comes over and you all want to ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    On my to-do list today is to clean up my Specialized Sirrus and get it on craigslist to sell. I'm screwing around on the Internet instead.

30 mpdb
    New bikes get ridden more, older bikes get neglected. I just built up a aluminum Nashbar xcross frame for a beater. I haven't ridden my carbon-tubulared-dura-ace-equipped-titanium-wonder-bike since. Which means I need to find something to upgrade on that bike to get back on it.

And I'll echo the arguments on keeping the hybrid: for backup, bad weather & loaner rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I keep my hybrid for riding with the kids or on bike paths or maybe with the wife.

OTOH I have not sold my two prior road bikes yet, but that is a different reason.

Sometimes you don't get much for used. I don't use the hybrid much but I like having it to spend time with the kids.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very informative...I am eyeing a road bike for next season (my 1st); I currently have a Trek 7.2 FX. I have every intention of keeping it - it has sentimental value (my 1st "real" bike).
    You could fill a warehouse with what I don't know about cycling.

SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
    When I switched I wished I had not wasted money on a hybrid and gotten a roadbike. I only keep the bike I use.
    Carbon,Steel,Aluminum or Ti,who really cares as long as we ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I don't have the hybrid I rode in high school in my possession. It ended up in my Mom's garage for a while, and then in her house in the mountains. Now and then someone tools around in the neighborhood on it. My brother's, purchased for about the same purpose, gets used as a loaner and commuter more regularly.

They don't resell for much, but make good utility bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    i`m keeping mine because I`m riding it from time to time. It`s not a designated rain bike yet because is still new and with quality components,so the bad weather bike is my old mtb.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    my fiance and I keep our hybrid bikes and ride them in town and on bike paths. I don't want to have to mess with a road bike in town
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I'm more of a mountain biker, so for me to have a hybrid, when I also have a couple road bikes and a mountain bike, would be kind of redundant. The mountain bike is okay for hybrid duties.

I guess if I got to ride with my girlfriend more, I might want my hybrid back so I could set it up for less athletic riding. But I'm holding out hope that my girlfriend will develop more interest in cycling now that she lives someplace where it's not terrifying, and I won't need a less athletic setup to ride with her.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I started biking on a Specialized Sirrus last year in June. After 6 months I sold it and got a road bike, and rode it all winter indoors and out. I then bought a cheap steel fixed gear bike in February to take care of the commuting and short rides to minimize the wear and tear of the road bike. It was a great learning bike, but I can't say that I miss the hybrid one bit. I'm very content with my two bikes now with the riding that I do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I kept my hybrid, there is a dirt trail near our house and I ride with the Boy Scouts once a year on the C&O canal. Ater this year's ride on the trail with the Boy Scouts, I realize how much more comfortable my road bike is, so my son is 14, which means 3 or 4 more years with the Boy Scouts and then I probably won't ride the hybrid again.

Before I got the road bike, I loved the hybrid (it's a Bianchi Project 1). I just brought my son a similar Bianchi this year, he loves the bike, can't get him to ride road with me yet.
    ----------------
    I am participating in the 2012 Tour de Cure to raise money to Help Stop Diabetes. Please Click Here to view my page or if you would like to make a donation.

Erfahrener Radfahrer
    I don't have a hybrid, but actually on the way out to the LBS this afternoon to look at some... I think they're perfect for commuting, with the ability to put on wider tires, fenders, and maybe even panniers.

I think a good hybrid is would also be good for winter training, when you don't want to take out the "good bike".
    Allan

I SUPPORT DRUG FREE SPORT

Erfahrener Radfahrer
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    IMO, road bikes are better for commuting, winter training, etc. The old light touring class was awesome for this stuff - clearance for fenders and a little more tire, but still a road bike. Kind of the station wagon or 5-door of bicycles, maybe. They still exist. Check out some "endurance" road bikes, and some steel road bikes - while I don't think there's anything magic about steel, Surly and other brands making them are interested in keeping things a little more functional than a lot of the racing/training bikes with narrow clearances and no eyelets that other brands make.

Not that I'm objecting to stricter race bikes. They're fun. But commuting and grocery shopping are somewhat different tasks.
    I totally agree, and my first choice for commuting would be a CX bike, and the older style are hard to find, at least around here... sellers on CL seem to think the bike is worth more than new and new "touring class" or CX bikes cost far more than a hybrid.
    Allan

I SUPPORT DRUG FREE SPORT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast