RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Thud Buster seatpost on a road bike

Is it possible to put a seatpost like the Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Seatpost on a road bike? It may look kind of funny, but I think if there is clearance the post could be very comfortable. Has anyone tried this? Will I lose any power through my pedal stroke due to a suspension seat post? Will other road bikers laugh at me ?

-Links

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    People might laugh at you, but it probably won't have any detrimental effect. The shock is an elastomer so it probably won't rob you of power. I wouldn't bother, I have a feeling it won't help absorb any buzz whatsoever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I think one of the main reasons people have avoided shock posts on the road is because it really would continuously change the distance from saddle to pedal making it almost impossible to spin circles.

Might look silly, but the real argument against is in efficiency and form.

IMO only.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilier
    I think one of the main reasons people have avoided shock posts on the road is because it really would continuously change the distance from saddle to pedal making it almost impossible to spin circles.

Might look silly, but the real argument against is in efficiency and form.

IMO only.
    I have one of these on one of my mountain bikes. It's very comfortable (in my subjective opinion). One thing, this type of suspension post doesn't affect the saddle/pedal distance as much as the "pogo-stick" type of posts, as it moves back and down in reaction to a bump, rather than just up-and-down. I find it fine (for off-roading). I'm sure it would also be fine on the road.

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    3G? I just looked on Cane Creek's website and found Thudbuster LT's and ST's. I think the 3G is an older model LT, no?

I built a hard tail for my cousin and he insisted on getting a suspension seatpost for it. I got an LT for his bike and tuned it to his weight (different elastomer hardnesses for different weight riders) and I have to say that I did not like it at all. As the saddle goes downward it also goes backwards. This increases reach as it goes down and you need to set it up with some preload or else the saddle reaches the top of the travel with a hard thump. To compensate you would need to mount the saddle further forward than normal and a little higher, too. Remember that mountain bikes are less critical when it comes to bike fit than road bikes. Stem length and height can make the difference between being comfortable for a few miles or not. That post also weighed a ton compared to even the heavy aluminum seatpost that I originally put on that bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I know this thread is old, but I figure this info would be useful for anyone thinking about a Thudbuster for their road bike.

Here is a blog entry from a rider who mounted a Thudbuster on a Tarmac.

In the Bike Lane: New Bike Upgrade - Thudbuster ST

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    We've used the ST model on our road tandem for the Stoker. The wife aka the stoker loves how it takes the edge off of things as she can't see what's coming.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I use an old MTB RockShox seatpost ("pogo stick style") on my rain bike for added comfort. Works like a charm, but it does add weight, but so do the fenders, lights, wider tires, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by holy cromoly View Post
    I know this thread is old, but I figure this info would be useful for anyone thinking about a Thudbuster for their road bike.

Here is a blog entry from a rider who mounted a Thudbuster on a Tarmac.

In the Bike Lane: New Bike Upgrade - Thudbuster ST

Weird. But then again, so was his placement of his polar computer head.. (on the top tube almost undeer the seat? Really?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    If you need a suspension post I would suggest I would say your tire/ bike selection is suspect and using a band-aid when surgery is needed is not a solution I would pursue.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    I can't believe nobody said carbon seatpost.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd just go with some wider tires.