RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Thule frame adapter

So now that I have a Carbon Bike (relax geo, ) I already had the thule vertex hitch rack, having read some threads here on carbon top tubes hanging from the rack (mixed reviews) I was wondering what you guys think about using a Frame adapter ( 982XT Frame Adapter) the type for bikes with low top tubes, just put it on the Carbon bike and hang it from there? i wonder if there is a enough clearance between the stem and front part of the top tube.... any comments?
    1973 Mercier
    1977 Peugeot U08.
    2010 Jamis Coda
    2011 jamis Xenith Endura

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    If your worried about the top tube cracking/breaking. Don't worry, that is not going to happen. Worst thing that will probably happen is that the top tube will get scratched up

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    I have a similar Thule hitch rack and haven't had any problems. You don't need to make the straps particularly tight over the top tube. Hanging isn't a problem either. I don't usually put any other bikes on when my carbon bike is on it since other bikes banging against and rubbing it are a bigger threat.

Also, I use the inner most mounts and I take an old-school toe strap and put it through my pedal body (SPD-SL) and strap the pedal to the rack's riser. Having a third anchor point really helps since the bike won't sway in/out and scratch up the top tube. It doesn't hurt to wrap the top tube with a soft cloth where the straps are either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Sounds like a waste of money for your needs. The bike won't be damaged by the rack

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks, SPD SL's are great to strap thru that is for sure.
    1973 Mercier
    1977 Peugeot U08.
    2010 Jamis Coda
    2011 jamis Xenith Endura