RoadBikeReview Member

Thule T2 and damage to bike

I was wondering whether a Thule T1 or T2 (or similar rack) carrier can open your bike up to damage from road debris spit up from the tires? I have mudguards on my 4Runner and assume they catch most of the debris but who know how much. Anyone have first-hand experience?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I would like to know as well. I just bought a 990XT, and I am also worried about the same thing. I would prefer not to buy a bike cover as well, but will If I have too...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I've had a T2 for a number of years and have not noticed anything beyond what you'd normally expect with having the bike on the car: generic dust. I'm more worried about rain. I've tried fashioning a cover out of tarp and it always turns into a mess, perhaps explaining why I never see anyone with a cover over bikes on a rack; eventually the wind wins.

A bigger concern might be the rack sliding off the arm! Google it. I don't know if the current model has been re-engineered, but the model I have is known to have the outer tray "walk" off the hitch bar at highway speeds.

I wouldn't worry about the bike. In more than 20 years of off and on rack use, I've never had a frame damaged.

acg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Same here.... no issues with the T2 which I use on my car.
    Merlin Extralight Campy
    Airborne Lancaster XTR
    Planet X Uncle John Campy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I have had a T2 for over 7 years with no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    I have had a T2 for 5-6 years, use it once or twice a week, never any issues as far as debris getting flung up at the bikes.

Never heard of the trays walking off, either. I imagine those were individual cases, likely user error, not put on tight enough or something. I even have mine as far right and left as possible, so with 29ers the bikes catch as much air as they could.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    No issues with my 4Runner. I don't have mudguards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Ive had my bike break loose from one of the straps. No bike damaged but almost hit the highway and scratched up my trunk. Spend the 250 and get a hitch and a hit mount rack

Cat 6
    Jeep...no mudguards...no issues.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Never heard of the trays walking off, either. I imagine those were individual cases, likely user error, not put on tight enough or something.
    There were a few cases in which user error did not seem to be the cause, but I don't know if the clamp bolts in the video were tightened incrementally and alternatingly. But that was some time ago and as far as I know, the problem's been solved by the addition of a stopper screw.
    Video: Another Thule T2 catastrophic failure | Bike Intelligencer

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I'd buy a Kuat next time around

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Be carefull, I had purchased the 990XT,road debris is the least of your worries,you have to watch out for the foam tubing around the sliding hook.It will fail causing metal scraping and gauging your paint off right down to your frame(as mine did) as of today i am still expecting a call back from Thule hopefully they will take care of it.
    Hope this helps you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fasnuff View Post
    Be carefull, I had purchased the 990XT,road debris is the least of your worries,you have to watch out for the foam tubing around the sliding hook.It will fail causing metal scraping and gauging your paint off right down to your frame(as mine did) as of today i am still expecting a call back from Thule hopefully they will take care of it.
    Hope this helps you
    I actually bought piping insulation and cut it into small pieces and when lowering the hooks I place it on my TT... the piece they give you is pretty insignificant in my opinion...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I have the 990XT and think its a pretty decent setup. The rubber on the hooks is not real thick but should be adequate. I put a thick piece of cloth between the hook and the bike just in case. As far as damage from road debris, I have not had any issues.