RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

tights or bib tights

I ordered a pair tights planning to wear over the shorts, no chamois.. It's got a wind stop fabric on front and on the back half it is a ventable material. The tights doesn't have any strings and I think it may possibly ride down over the shorts underneath.

but I am thinking maybe I should pay more for a winter style bib tight with chomois and also has wind proof instead of wearing shorts and pants together.

So which is the better way to go? I guess the shorts and tights combo go to bathroom easier and also allow better laundry option, most people have multiple shorts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Some of my gear has to do double duty ... I bought a pair of UA coldgear tights which I use for winter riding, running, etc. Wear them over my bib shorts. Haven't had a problem yet.

However I could benefit from some wind stopper material, and if I had the $ I would probably go with a winter bib tight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have both regular tights and bib tights. The bibs tights have chamoises.

I hate using the regular tights because they tend to slide down. So i put them on 1st and then I pull on a pair of bib shorts over them to keep them in place. I don't seem bothered by the extra layer of fabric between me and the chamois of shorts. If I were you, I'd just get bib tights with chamois.

banned
    I always wear bibs. If it gets cold enough I wear bib knickers. If it gets colder still I wear winter tights over the bibs. One chamois total. Works for me, ymmv

dot
    badass
    tights are for wusses. Be a man, wear bibs and warmers! That's quite enough to stay warm at zero deg. C.

30 mpdb
    I have a pair of cheapo tights and they do a good job of staying put over my bibshorts. They have the drawstring but I don't use them because, well, they're tight.

*rimshot*

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Tights without a chamois are fine over shorts as far as sliping around goes but I still prefer them with a chamois. If nothing else when one article of clothing can do the job of two why not (it's not like knee warmers where you want to be able to take them off mid ride) and I find the extra bulk, though seemingly not much, feels a little weird. Not a big issue but it I can do without the bulk I'll take it.

Anyway, I'd say if your favorite pair of shorts comes in a long tights version (same chamios) get them. But if they don't, tights with chamois are too expensive to take a chance on liking the chamois so get tights sans chamois if it means taking a chance on a chamois you don't know you'll like and wear them over your proven shorts.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 12-25-2010 at 05:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think bibs are the way to go...

I find that the total compression starts getting a little much when layering. At 32F I wear shorts with chamois, tights, and tri-lam tights (windproof fronts) and the combined compression is a bit much. If I had tights with a chamois, then I could wear that, or that with the tri-lam, or shorts with the tri-lam and not need to have three bottoms on at once.

Baltic Scum
    Below 32, I use fleece lined bib tights, no chamois, with regular shorts underneath (wearing shorts over tights is a little odd to me, but hey...). This provides an extra, albeit thin, underneath layer where it matters and allows for multiple rides before having to wash the tights.

A good way to see if you'd like bibs is to get a cheap pair of suspenders to hold the tights in place. I used this set up for a little while before switching everything to bibs many years ago. My guess is that after using your new tights like this, you will buy bib tights ever after.
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

Hanging 10 bra
    I wear bibs now and probably wont ever go back to tights. I also just use knee warmers or leg warmers and I am good. The upper body is what needs a tad more warmth.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I use bib tights without chamois. Four reasons:
    1. I wear my regular shorts with a chamois I know and like.
    2. They also provide a second layer to keep the boys warm.
    3. I don't have two sets of elastic waistbands squeezing my middle.
    4. I don't have to wash tights after every ride.

I'm a daily commuter year 'round. Tights over shorts also gives me choices to go with conditions. I have three sets of bib tights for different conditions. All are windproof.
    • Above freezing and dry
    • Above freezing and rain
    • Below freezing

I use warmers over 50F or so, and as an extra layer below 10F

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have bib tights with chamois and regular tights I wear over my bib tight shorts. I'm not bothered by either, but when its really cold I wear the Pearl Izumi amfibs over Sugoi RS knickers. My Pearls are warmer than my Performance triflex's.

Quote Originally Posted by dot
    tights are for wusses. Be a man, wear bibs and warmers! That's quite enough to stay warm at zero deg. C.
    Real men are biking in weather much colder than freezing.
    If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew
    ..................[*]I don't have to wash tights after every ride.[/LIST]

yeah that's actually a really good point. I do prefer long bibs with a chamois built in but going that way is either: a. a pain to have to wash them after every ride or b. really expensive too have enough pairs to keep you going between laundry days.

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    Bibs and leg warmers. If it's really cold then some loose fitting tights over all that.

dot
    badass
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoRoadie
    Real men are biking in weather much colder than freezing.
    roadies? no. commuters, mtb-ers... they do (I do too, personal best -19C). Roadies don't. Roadie on a commuter or mtb is not a roadie!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bib tights FTW!
    Kestrel Talon Road, Campy 10, Zonda wheels
    Litespeed Firenze, Campy 10, Joe Young Custom Wheels
    Nashbar Generic single speed, Khamsin wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew
    I use bib tights without chamois. Four reasons:
    1. I wear my regular shorts with a chamois I know and like.
    2. They also provide a second layer to keep the boys warm.
    3. I don't have two sets of elastic waistbands squeezing my middle.
    4. I don't have to wash tights after every ride.

I'm a daily commuter year 'round. Tights over shorts also gives me choices to go with conditions. I have three sets of bib tights for different conditions. All are windproof.
    • Above freezing and dry
    • Above freezing and rain
    • Below freezing

I use warmers over 50F or so, and as an extra layer below 10F
    Like Bruce, I'm a year round commuter & his points I totally agree with. Wearing shorts underneath tights gives you more options. The other thing that I might suggest is that if you are worried about the tights sliding down on you, I would suggest getting a pair of clip on suspenders that you can get at any mens clothing store that are designed for holding up pants.

I own both non-bibs & bibs and to tell the truth, I don't have a problem with either in terms of comfort. The only problem that I have with bibs is that in the winter time & if you have a emergency bathroom crisis then things can get dicey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Bibs? No thanks. I don't have a beer belly. My normal tights all have a chamois. All Pearl. And I have a Pearl windproof tight too. Its used when the weather is really cold. Never been bothered by having two waistbands. For keeping tights up, I usually wear two tops. Either short and long or two long sleeves. Put gels and granola bars in the pockets of the first shirt and pull the tights over these pockets. Little harder to get the food out, but I only do that when stopped. Tights are much much easier to deal with when stopped for other necessities. Winter riding seems to warrant this task more often.

I'll admit to having one bib tight without chamois. I use it for running.

Not Banned
    Bibs always. I own no bib tights but plenty of bib knickers and bib shorts. I'm rarely anywhere I need full length coverage. I use non bib shorts when I'm on a trainer, that's about it
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Smile

roadies? no. commuters, mtb-ers... they do (I do too, personal best -19C). Roadies don't. Roadie on a commuter or mtb is not a roadie!

Things are either very different where you're from or you don't know what you're talking about. Lots of roadies go out, on road bikes, well below freezing.

Although I noticed you use C and not F so obviously you are from a pinko wimpy place so I'm not shocked.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    I ride my road bike down to -10C unless there is snow or ice on the road, on that case I ride the Cross bike.

On my commuter all year long, come rain, come shine, come snow....
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

dot
    badass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow
    Things are either very different where you're from or you don't know what you're talking about. Lots of roadies go out, on road bikes, well below freezing.

Although I noticed you use C and not F so obviously you are from a pinko wimpy place so I'm not shocked.
    things indeed are very different here. tights are fine when it's below zero, but riding on a road bike? That's plain suicide. slush, sleet, muck, snow, you name it.

Right now: minus 10 outside, and 4mm of ice covering everything after a half-day long icy rain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    things indeed are very different here. tights are fine when it's below zero, but riding on a road bike? That's plain suicide. slush, sleet, muck, snow, you name it.

Right now: minus 10 outside, and 4mm of ice covering everything after a half-day long icy rain.
    We get a lot of below freezing days where the roads are just fine. Many years most of December and late November is below freezing but it's hasn't snowed yet and even when tons of snow has come the roads are often clean. Agree riding in crap on a road bike is crazy but it's not always like that on the roads when it's below freezing. Today for example, it's been in the 20's f all day but the roads are perfectly clear.