Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    My evening commute is in the dark September thru April. I don't mind it. My main change is to park the road bike and ride a 29er as it gets colder. Speaking of which, someone just turned on fall in NJ.
    Good idea! Not that it gets that cold here but a friend and I did a ride up a local mtn road when it was raining and a bit of snow. We used MTB's instead of roadies! Worked rather well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    There are a lot of flahutes on this thread. My plan for the cold and dark involves overeating and alcohol. Only 113 days until spring!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    There are a lot of flahutes on this thread. My plan for the cold and dark involves overeating and alcohol. Only 113 days until spring!

Ha ha ha! On Strava, my weekend rides consist of 100 flybys on Strava.

Daylight savings time, local roads I may encounter 5 or 6 riders midweek rides in the evening in daylight.

Now that DST is gone, my Strava flybys consist of 2 runners.

I think plenty of other cyclists around here are on the same plan as you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    When I worked, all of my winter/standard time after-work rides were at night. Now that I'm retired, I've not ridden any at night. As another mentioned a few posts up, it might have been a good idea to get some night rides in during some of the extremes of heat and humidity that we had this summer.

It took some time for me to get accustomed to night rides, and it took a while to learn what is effective with regard to lights, reflective clothing, warm clothing etc.

Have you ever had a flat at night? I had one. Fortunately I was near a well-lit convenience store so that I could see what I was doing to get it changed.

The job from which I retired was several hours away from the permanent residence, so I rented an apartment. There was a large hispanic population in that area. I remember night rides in that area because of the aroma of the preparation of the evening meals. It was wonderful but made me hungry.

Scariest moment was riding along a nice straight stretch at a good clip, when a dog started barking. I had not seen him at all nor heard him running. It was very quiet out, and it was a BIG surprise when he started barking. I never did see him.

Probably the most interesting moment happened when I was about 1/2 mile from the apartment near the end of the ride. I was coming up a hill, and all of a sudden, all I could see in my entire field of vision was brown feathers. They were within arm's length and completely silent. We never made physical contact. I figured it was a hawk or an owl. He was there and then gone without a sound or any contact. I'm guessing that my bar and helmet lights may have been an attraction.

As someone mentioned above, I had fewer, basically no problems with vehicles at night. With 4 flashing tail lights, a reflective vest, a bar light and a helmet light, I was VERY obvious. A coworker who passed me one evening commented that from behind, I appeared to be an emergency vehicle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearloose View Post
    When I worked, all of my winter/standard time after-work rides were at night. Now that I'm retired, I've not ridden any at night. As another mentioned a few posts up, it might have been a good idea to get some night rides in during some of the extremes of heat and humidity that we had this summer.

It took some time for me to get accustomed to night rides, and it took a while to learn what is effective with regard to lights, reflective clothing, warm clothing etc.

Have you ever had a flat at night? I had one. Fortunately I was near a well-lit convenience store so that I could see what I was doing to get it changed.

The job from which I retired was several hours away from the permanent residence, so I rented an apartment. There was a large hispanic population in that area. I remember night rides in that area because of the aroma of the preparation of the evening meals. It was wonderful but made me hungry.

Scariest moment was riding along a nice straight stretch at a good clip, when a dog started barking. I had not seen him at all nor heard him running. It was very quiet out, and it was a BIG surprise when he started barking. I never did see him.

Probably the most interesting moment happened when I was about 1/2 mile from the apartment near the end of the ride. I was coming up a hill, and all of a sudden, all I could see in my entire field of vision was brown feathers. They were within arm's length and completely silent. We never made physical contact. I figured it was a hawk or an owl. He was there and then gone without a sound or any contact. I'm guessing that my bar and helmet lights may have been an attraction.

As someone mentioned above, I had fewer, basically no problems with vehicles at night. With 4 flashing tail lights, a reflective vest, a bar light and a helmet light, I was VERY obvious. A coworker who passed me one evening commented that from behind, I appeared to be an emergency vehicle.
    Interesting! I'm Hispanic myself so I am immune to those carne asada teasers.

Plus I ride up into to a rich neighborhood so I worry more about getting stopped by the cops seeing I am probably the only Hispanic over here on a carbon bike! Kidding of course!

I have had one flat at night. Luckily just a basic, flat no problems.

your god hates me
    I love riding in the dark. This time of year the return portion of my commute is entirely in the dark. And many days I'll go out early in the morning before sunrise to get in a good workout or just a fun ride. Last week just before the time change I did a three hour ride starting at 5:30AM; two of those hours were in complete darkness. Sublime.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I love riding in the dark. This time of year the return portion of my commute is entirely in the dark. And many days I'll go out early in the morning before sunrise to get in a good workout or just a fun ride. Last week just before the time change I did a three hour ride starting at 5:30AM; two of those hours were in complete darkness. Sublime.
    Cool! I enjoy the cool dark night, very exhilarating!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another 15 miles last night! Dark out there ha ha!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-dscn5409.jpg   Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-dscn5412.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gearloose View Post

With 4 flashing tail lights, a reflective vest, a bar light and a helmet light...
    Wouldn't that helmet light allow you to see well enough to change deal with a flat no matter where you were? Mine does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Wouldn't that helmet light allow you to see well enough to change deal with a flat no matter where you were? Mine does.
    I have fixed numerous flats and even repaired a busted chain thanks to my headlight.

When the choices are fix it or push it ...

Lately I don't get out of work until past 6 p.m. so by the time I can get ready to ride ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    Yes, it would have. Usually as a back-up, I carried a small flashlight in the pocket of my wind jacket, so I could have used that as well. Having a concrete slab bathed in light to change the flat made the job a lot easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    This morning when I left the house for work it was 13 degrees and pitch dark. I don't mind the cold in MN so much but the short days suck. I need me some vitamin d bad.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonrunner View Post
    This morning when I left the house for work it was 13 degrees
    Ouch!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't mind the night so much as the combination of the night and the colder temperatures. You combine those two with what is already a busier traffic period of the day and I would rather just be inside. Outdoors becomes a weekend and day off thing this time of year unfortunately.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    I don't mind the night so much as the combination of the night and the colder temperatures. You combine those two with what is already a busier traffic period of the day and I would rather just be inside. Outdoors becomes a weekend and day off thing this time of year unfortunately.
    Yeah, without the sun it sure gets to be a bit colder.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    90% of my rides during the year start in the dark. Nobody needs you at 5am.

For me the fall time change actually shortens the amount of time I am in the dark. Sunrise is one of the best things on this planet.

From this morning.
    Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-img_20171110_072135_190.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12