Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?

I hate the time change for many reasons but one thing I do like is riding at night in the dark. Alone, cool, fresh, and pleasant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-23167884_1776773292395161_1301494815732383987_n.jpg   Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-23172408_1776773319061825_6576446113012951821_n.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the winter, my commute is in the dark both ways. Lotta battery recharging going on.
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    not for me. it's not just the dark but the temperature. this time of year my rides get shorter. if i do a century it is on what is an unseasonably warm day. that said i'll ride the whole winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    In the winter, my commute is in the dark both ways. Lotta battery recharging going on.
    Wow! I guess that is some serious mileage in the dark!

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    I don't fear the dark. I've been riding in the cold and dark for decades, and still like it. It's been a long time since my first "serious" headlight, and the current unit, a L&M Seca 2000 Enduro is simply excellent. I can run it on low for many hours and switch to high only when necessary. Dress warm, avoid ice, and all is good. I have notices a lot more night riders in the last few years, too. 20 years ago I was alone. Not so much now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepV View Post
    Wow! I guess that is some serious mileage in the dark!
    In the winter, it's kinda depressing--don't get to see the sun during the day. But in the summer, when daytime temps are triple-digit, I occasionally go on a night ride to get out of the heat. And scare myself in the boonies because I can't see the lurking fauna (and monsters?) outside my light cone.
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    I'm NOT riding at night.

But I will be in about 15 minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepV View Post
    I hate the time change for many reasons but one thing I do like is riding at night in the dark. Alone, cool, fresh, and pleasant.
    Major part of favorite route is being re-paved. Don't trust motorists and no bike lanes. I used to love night rides when I was stationed in Las Vegas. ..102 degrees@2am in a down vest with bike cheap Bike Nashbar shorts and expensive Sidi(?)F-1 (?)shoes.
    Last edited by tabl10s; 1 Week Ago at 03:43 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    To me, road riding in the dark is meh, but MTBing or gravel riding in the dark can quite an experience, especially when we go into the GSMNP. But I don't think I'd want to MTB in the dark in a place I've never been.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    I don't fear the dark. I've been riding in the cold and dark for decades, and still like it. It's been a long time since my first "serious" headlight, and the current unit, a L&M Seca 2000 Enduro is simply excellent. I can run it on low for many hours and switch to high only when necessary. Dress warm, avoid ice, and all is good. I have notices a lot more night riders in the last few years, too. 20 years ago I was alone. Not so much now.
    Nice! I have the USB recharging lights, nice improvement imo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuthis View Post
    In the winter, it's kinda depressing--don't get to see the sun during the day. But in the summer, when daytime temps are triple-digit, I occasionally go on a night ride to get out of the heat. And scare myself in the boonies because I can't see the lurking fauna (and monsters?) outside my light cone.
    Ha ha ha! I have done night rides up a local mtn road and fear the same monsters! Much better with a partner but hard to find people that want to climb at night. Heck, I can't find any that want to climb during the day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    Major part of favorite route is being re-paved. Don't trust motorists and no bike lanes.
    My route was recently re-paved too. Actually much better now but I do drive the course the day I plan to ride at night just to make sure there is no construction, big pits, or volcanoes along the way. Once I ride it, it's pretty much the same the following nights so it's good for the confidence.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    To me, road riding in the dark is meh, but MTBing or gravel riding in the dark can quite an experience, especially when we go into the GSMNP. But I don't think I'd want to MTB in the dark in a place I've never been.
    That would be cool! We have a couple of local MTB parks around here but they close at night. Cops have been known to sit at the gate ticketing MTB'ers when they exit the park. I ain't going to pay nobody no money for something like that so I don't risk it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    I'm NOT riding at night.

But I will be in about 15 minutes.
    Wisenheimer!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    this year a group of us have been trying to get out at least one night a week. Last Thursday 3 of us actually did a night Century starting at about 5 and finishing at midnight, it was awesome. Here are a couple pictures and the ride.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1258812871
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-night-4.jpg   Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-night-3.jpg   Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-night-2.jpg   Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-night-1.jpg  

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I've been commuting through the winter for a couple decades. When i first started, it was rare to see anyone else out riding in the dark. Now its pretty common. A lot of it probably has to do with how good and cheap bike lights have become. My first light that I bought from Bike Nashbar in the early 1990's had two lamps that must have put out 150 lumens total, and never stayed in place -- they velcroed onto the bars. The battery was a lead acid battery that strapped onto the top tube. It weighed a couple lbs. and worked for maybe an hour. It took 12 hours to recharge. I think I paid around $150 for it back then. The light i have on my bike now fits in the palm of my hand, weighs next to noting, puts out a huge amount of light, and the battery lasts for 2-3 hours. All for less than half what I paid for the Nashbar light.

I don't mind riding in the dark, but I hate riding in the cold. Today is my first post DLST commute. It was 39 this morning and I wore my light weight winter shoes for the first time. Pretty slow ride in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time Change - Who IS Riding at Night ?-shoes.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like to ride at night this time of year a few nights a week. I also notice I seem to be more obvious to cars and people are less aggressive. Summer heat being gone and all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Last night was my first ride of the season in real darkness.

For the past week or two, my morning commute was before the sun was officially up but during civil twilight so I was just running my standard blinker. Heading home the sun was inching towards the hills but still visible. Then *bam* DST hits and I'm, once again, staring at a ball of fire on the way in and it's officially dark when I'm leaving work.

Now I just need to re-evaluate my leg warmers (and I need to get thermal tights) as my left knee did not appreciate the cold snap yesterday (28F) on the way in.

Road Warrior
    I 'm limited to train on Tues. and Thurs. evenings to prep for the Saturday morning excursion. For the winter/dark month we selected a hilly neighborhood with sufficient lights to brighten the road so we do not need bike lights to see road conditions or debris. The route is a 2.5 mile loop and it's easy in and out so not bad for winter. I already dread short days and miss going out on the roads in the evenings

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypedals View Post
    last thursday 3 of us actually did a night century starting at about 5 and finishing at midnight, it was awesome. Here are a couple pictures and the ride.

Nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I've been commuting through the winter for a couple decades. When i first started, it was rare to see anyone else out riding in the dark. Now its pretty common. A lot of it probably has to do with how good and cheap bike lights have become. My first light that I bought from Bike Nashbar in the early 1990's had two lamps that must have put out 150 lumens total, and never stayed in place -- they velcroed onto the bars. The battery was a lead acid battery that strapped onto the top tube. It weighed a couple lbs. and worked for maybe an hour. It took 12 hours to recharge. I think I paid around $150 for it back then. The light i have on my bike now fits in the palm of my hand, weighs next to noting, puts out a huge amount of light, and the battery lasts for 2-3 hours. All for less than half what I paid for the Nashbar light.

I don't mind riding in the dark, but I hate riding in the cold. Today is my first post DLST commute. It was 39 this morning and I wore my light weight winter shoes for the first time. Pretty slow ride in.
    Nice! I think you are right because I never rode in the dark when the old lights were the thing. Now with the lower cost, easier set up, I'm out there too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    I like to ride at night this time of year a few nights a week. I also notice I seem to be more obvious to cars and people are less aggressive. Summer heat being gone and all.
    I feel the same about being obvious. Though I have good luck with traffic in the Summer too. But I do ride back roads where people are a little more mellow vs main highways with more aggressive speeding drivers on their way home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolithic View Post
    Last night was my first ride of the season in real darkness.

For the past week or two, my morning commute was before the sun was officially up but during civil twilight so I was just running my standard blinker. Heading home the sun was inching towards the hills but still visible. Then *bam* DST hits and I'm, once again, staring at a ball of fire on the way in and it's officially dark when I'm leaving work.

Now I just need to re-evaluate my leg warmers (and I need to get thermal tights) as my left knee did not appreciate the cold snap yesterday (28F) on the way in.
    Funny how one day to the next can be so different.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    I 'm limited to train on Tues. and Thurs. evenings to prep for the Saturday morning excursion. For the winter/dark month we selected a hilly neighborhood with sufficient lights to brighten the road so we do not need bike lights to see road conditions or debris. The route is a 2.5 mile loop and it's easy in and out so not bad for winter. I already dread short days and miss going out on the roads in the evenings
    Good idea! There are a couple of well lit spots on my night ride and it makes a huge difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My evening commute is in the dark September thru April. I don't mind it. My main change is to park the road bike and ride a 29er as it gets colder. Speaking of which, someone just turned on fall in NJ.
    It's Mueller Time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast