RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Cool Time Impact S pedal??? and your thoughts....

about traditional cross laced wheels.

Ok, so my new(to me) 2003 Tuscany is finally in and assembled... Its a ******* of a bike, but the eBay.com price was right. The bike's frameset is great with an Ouzo Pro carbon fork, and Ultegra brakes. After this point, the parts get semi-ugly. 105 Double(after a removal of the small ring from a tripel), 105 rear der., 105 bb, 105 cassette, no name seat post(but its very nice), Ithys Amore saddle, Brodie Stem and Handlebars, some old semi dished Campy rims laced to 105/600 hubs. The front der. is a donated "freebie" Ultegra from a wrecked bike donated to my shop(female rider hit by a car! she was fine, but the bike looked horrible) and in turn donated to me via my mechanic. So that's my new Litespeed 2003 Tuscany, despite the Frankenstein parts she's really a beauty in that ugly duckling kinda way. Just need to give her a little more time. :-) I'll put up pics when she's cleaned and ready to come home.

So enough of the proud Pappa stuff... What I wanted to know is what people's experiences have been with the Time Impact variant of pedals. I'm looking at the S model. I wanted some new Ultegra pedals, but my shop won't have them in for awhile. The alternatives are Time Impact S, and Look 396. I'm only paying about $30 more for the Time's, so I'm not worried too much about the cost. I like the time because of the "cafe" cleat, but I've never ridden Time pedals, only Looks and Bebops. So any of your feed back regarding the Time pedals would be great.

Finally, what are your thougths about traditional crossed laced wheels. FYI, I'm 5'4" and 165lbs with a medium-large frame, if you can believe that. My fighting weight is really 140lbs and this is where I intend to be by the end of the year. My wheels are the previous owner's beater set and will work for now, but I'd like to get some nicer wheels in the future. I read the thread on Quality wheels for about $200, but was curious why anyone would recommend a lower spoke count wheel(pick your flavor) versus a traditional wheels set. I have to admit that I think the beater wheels on my bike look classy. Maybe I've been drooling over too many low spoke count Mavic, Rolf's, Bontrager, etc., wheelsets and am smittin' with these beater wheels of mine. I've kicked around building up some Chris King hubs and rims, but get weird looks from my bike shop's manager. I guess people find these hubs annoying, but the more I look at my bike with it beater wheels, the more I think it would ultra classy with a nice set of 28h Open Pros with Chris King hubs.

Let me know what you guys think and I'll let you know what I decide to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Cool Here's a preliminary picture...

w/ trusty mechanic in background. Its a camera phone picture, so please forgive the quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CaliforniaDreaming; 03-18-2004 at 07:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Wink Time pedals are great...

I have the S model and the Ti model and I actually prefer the S!!!! You can get them on ebay for about $120 or less. Also, love the Open Pros. I have a set with 32h as I weigh over 200 lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member

Go for the S model

Quote Originally Posted by lyleseven
    I have the S model and the Ti model and I actually prefer the S!!!! You can get them on ebay for about $120 or less. Also, love the Open Pros. I have a set with 32h as I weigh over 200 lbs.
    I have the Ti, the Mag and the S. In truth, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart when riding and the S model has all the features of the Ti, and Mag.

I rode the Equipes for 8+ seasons and then bought the Ti Impacts a couple of years ago. Last year I bought Impacts for my other two bikes and "retired" the Equipes. I really like these pedals. Only other clipless pedals I've ridden for long periods have been the Look's and the Dura-Ace/Look.

As for wheels, the OP's are good value and decent rims. I prefer Ambrosio's but performance wise, there's little difference. I haven't seen the DT rims in person but I've read good things from other users.

King hubs are fairly expensive and I think that DA or Ultegra offer much better value. I'd be more concerned about finding a good builder if you're not going to build them yourself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    King hubs are fairly expensive and I think that DA or Ultegra offer much better value. I'd be more concerned about finding a good builder if you're not going to build them yourself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree with the expensive comment... however I benefit from previously working at my bike shop, so I get the cost+X% discount. Its not a 100% EP crack program, but pretty darn close. Maybe some Dura Ace hubs will work, but those darn CK hubs are so cool.

Thanks for the insight... still looking on for a reason to blow $$$ on a light low spoke wheels and I can't find any. Should i just pull the trigger and have the wheels built?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

DA Vs King Hubs

One point to consider is the new 2004 Dura Ace Hubs can be radially laced (for the front wheel obviously) while the Kings can't.

n00bsauce

Check out this thread

I LOVE my new Time Impacts
    Good discussion of Time Impacts.

Hard to go wrong with CK and OP. Your manager must be annoyed by the CK pawl click. It's a little loud but many consider it music to their ears.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a set of the Ti's and a set of the S's. The Ti I have the left pedal is making an annoying click the S's feel the same honestly and I love them both. Just wish the Ti's would stop clicking I have torn the pedals apart and relubed them and still click. But if you wait there is a Ebay seller that sells the Time S's for around $80+$10 s/h I picked up my set from them last month.
    Bikes:
    Cyclocross bike '06 Lemond Poprad
    Road racing bike '06 Trek 5.2

RoadBikeReview Member

Unhappy On the pedals...

I went from Look to Time after riding the Looks for 12 years. My reason for changing was that I was sick of the squeak the Looks were giving me and the tall stack height they had. At first I liked my Time Impact Mags with their low stack height and positive interface but started having problems with my knees. The spring tension recentering of my foot was hell on my knees. The cleats on the Impacts don't allow any adjustment for toe in/out. I had already set up all my bikes with the new Time pedals when my problems started. I had to sell them all off at a loss. Good thing Shimano came out with the SPD-SL. It has all the qualities of the Looks but lower stack height and NO squeaks! All my bike are decked out with Campy.....but the Shimano pedals. Hey, what ever works.