RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013

Question Are TIPSUM Bicycle Chains Any Good? (KMC Knock-Offs?)

In the pursuit of the cheapest price on a KMC X11SL chain, I see a few chains that look very similar on eBay by a manufacturer called TIPSUM that I've never heard of before. Are they any good?

eBay TPISUM X11SL Chain

While they're priced considerably cheaper than KMC, the low price is only worth it if the chain is dependable. However, with a lot of products, you often end-up paying a lot for a brand name when the cheaper alternatives are made by the same company (like various brands of blue jeans, brake rotors on cars, etc.)

Are TIPSUM Bicycle Chains Any Good? (KMC Knock-Offs?)-s-l1600.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    In the pursuit of the cheapest price on a KMC X11SL chain, I see a few chains that look very similar on eBay by a manufacturer called TIPSUM that I've never heard of before. Are they any good?

eBay TPISUM X11SL Chain

While they're priced considerably cheaper than KMC, the low price is only worth it if the chain is dependable. However, with a lot of products, you often end-up paying a lot for a brand name when the cheaper alternatives are made by the same company (like various brands of blue jeans, brake rotors on cars, etc.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	323967
    I have never heard of the brand but when I look at online prices for KMC 11s speed chains the cost is about the same (Jenson has KMC chains for $27). I would also be a bit leery of a brand that is only available on ebay. If you do decide to buy one, post a review. It may very well be a decent chain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    (Jenson has KMC chains for $27)
    The KMC X11SL is $63 on Jenson's website... hence the reason I'm lookin' for a deal I have this issue that I'm kind of a weight-weenie, but I'm also a cheap-@ss and those two sides of me are at odds right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have this issue that I'm kind of a weight-weenie, but I'm also a cheap-@ss and those two sides of me will always be at odds forever and ever Amen.
    fify...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The KMC X11SL is $63 on Jenson's website... hence the reason I'm lookin' for a deal I have this issue that I'm kind of a weight-weenie, but I'm also a cheap-@ss and those two sides of me are at odds right now.
    I'm cheap too; and that side of me always wins. I generally use the cheapest (for Campy) chain I can find. There are some reviews of TIPSUMs Ti chains and they seem positive

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am not looking for cheap but I am still looking for a chain that shines like chrome when I clean it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I'm chap on everything but my bikes and parts....lol. My last few chains have been KMC mainly because I like the colors.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    PYC makes a knock off KMC chain. SP1101.
    They are 32$ on eBay.
    I have used them before and they have decent life, and look as good as a KMC chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarney View Post
    ... KMC mainly because I like the colors.....
    The colored chains are crazy-expensive! They remind me of my old BMX days in the '80s I like it that the KMC chains have a little bit of bling to them, they're not the dull gray like the Shimano chains.

a real member's member
    kmc 11-speed chain for $21.45 on ebay

ebay always has the lowest prices on new sram and kmc chains.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    kmc 11-speed chain for $21.45 on ebay

ebay always has the lowest prices on new sram and kmc chains.
    That's not the X11SL that I'm interested in, however. The X11SL has hollow pins and slotted chain plates for weight savings... and costs a lot more because of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
    PYC makes a knock off KMC chain. SP1101.
    They are 32$ on eBay.
    I have used them before and they have decent life, and look as good as a KMC chain.
    Thanks JerryLook. I found this brief discussion regarding the PYC chain on WeightWeenies.com which seems to be favorable, so I'm going to give it a try and potentially save almost $20 over the KMC X11SL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    If you look on the bay, you can find the FSA 11 speed chains for $17 shipped but it doesn't have the hollow pins or other weight saving hacks. Its just a work horse chain for cheap.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2018
    If it sounds too good to be true...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I got the PYC chain today and put it on. So far, so good... I think this might be my new go-to weight-weenie chain! It has a nice, bright finish, seems to shift well (so far), and the price is much more palatable than the KMC X11SL. The only major visual difference is that the links don't have the trademark KMC "X" on the side, but I'm not sure if that "X" is there as a marketing thing or if it actually makes any difference. Too bad it's almost winter so I won't be getting many miles on this chain to determine if it's any good for the long-haul.

Are TIPSUM Bicycle Chains Any Good? (KMC Knock-Offs?)-img_20181018_1847140.jpg