Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
Meanwhile... back at the ranch...

Older tires are relegated to the rollers around here, but I am surprised at how quickly some of them get eaten. I went through 3 ThickSlick tires in pretty quick succession (long splits). I now have an old set of Ruffy Tuffys on the trainer bike, so weíll see how long they hold up.

I was under the (apparently misguided) impression that rollers werenít too tough on tires. Iím chalking it up to a combination of: cheaper rollers, a heavy rider and the fact that the back wheel has twice the points of contact it would normally have on the road. But if this keeps up, Iím going to run out of old tires.

Oh... and ibtm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How about more pressure put on the tire due to the small diameter of the roller compared to the larger diameter of the earth.

Jan Heine, who promotes lower pressure\faster tire, seems to think that higher pressures are faster on rollers\drums because the smaller diameters tend to "dig in" to the tire more than riding on the road, which, I would think, would lead to faster wear.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...orld/#comments

I am not aware of any testing that shows how this relates to real-road riding. The tire industry, for the most part, still believes that higher pressures make tires roll faster. When you test on small-diameter rollers, you are far removed from the real world. All kinds of factors will affect your results that donít play a role on real roads. Obviously, tire pressure will determine your results more than anything else, as it determines how far the small roller digs into your tires. Another issue are the suspension losses that you cannot simulate on a smooth steel roller. If you could do your testing on very large rollers (as large as possible while still fitting underneath the bike) with a textured surface, you might get better results. The steel rollers used for testing bike tires in the best labs are about 6 feet (1.8 m) in diameter to eliminate the effects of the roller digging into the tire.