Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

tire damage from trainer?

I was updating the firmware on my Magnus and noticed extensive damage to the rear tire. Most of the tire is pulling away from the casing. I assume this is heat from the trainer? I have not considered a trainer tire before but maybe I should. Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tire damage from trainer?-tire_damage1.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Never had a problem with Continentals.

Re: heat. How hot do you think a tire gets on asphalt in summer temps? I think more so than on a trainer, yet they don't fail like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    it's probably due more to shearing force between the tire and trainer roller.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Never had a problem with Continentals.

Re: heat. How hot do you think a tire gets on asphalt in summer temps? I think more so than on a trainer, yet they don't fail like that.
    I ran this same tire last year on the trainer and nothing bad happened. But, perhaps the wear and additional thinness was a factor. Whether I need one or not, Amazon Prime to the rescue and I have a Vittoria trainer tire on the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    the worst wearing tire my wife and I tried using on out trainers was: the Vittoria trainer tire!

I should have taken pics. Laster about one season. totally shredded and the broken fibres in the tire causing repeated flats.

I'd just use whatever old tires I had lying around, or some cheapie 25mm tires for $10 (I bought a bunch of Vittoria Rubino for $8 ea a couple years ago). This year I am using the 2 yr old Gator Hardshell tire on there, which I am also using on road and gravel (eg today)
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    the worst wearing tire my wife and I tried using on out trainers was: the Vittoria trainer tire!

I should have taken pics. Laster about one season. totally shredded and the broken fibres in the tire causing repeated flats.

I'd just use whatever old tires I had lying around, or some cheapie 25mm tires for $10 (I bought a bunch of Vittoria Rubino for $8 ea a couple years ago). This year I am using the 2 yr old Gator Hardshell tire on there, which I am also using on road and gravel (eg today)
    I've also always just used a mostly worn tire (like the tire on there now) or a tire with a cut that I was afraid to ride on the road. I am out of beat up tires. I will keep an open mind with the trainer tire and see what happens

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I've also always just used a mostly worn tire (like the tire on there now) or a tire with a cut that I was afraid to ride on the road. I am out of beat up tires. I will keep an open mind with the trainer tire and see what happens
    Hmmm...what's this thread about?

Tires? Hmmmm...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post

Tires? Hmmmm...
    Why so subtle?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I once had this happen when I made the mistake of using a Vittoria Corsa G+ with the tread glued to the cotton-casing. The glue heated up and squeezed out from between the casing/tread.

The Zaffiro is a vulcanized tire though, so I have no idea what may have caused this... What pressure were you running in the tire and how much roller tension?

RoadBikeReview Member
    high pressure, but this is an Elite Qubo, so there is no tension. instead full weight of the rider on the tire against the fairly small roller
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I'm using the Vittoria red trainer tire now with the Kurt kinetic. It's been 2 seasons now and it's showing cracks, so it's about time I replace it. Here are a few things I like about the Vittoria trainer tire vs the normal road tire is:
    1. the trainer tire runs more quietly than the road tire
    2. the trainer tire doesn't slip as easily as road tire, thus you can use less roller tension

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Tires? Hmmmm...
    actually its about tires AND trainers. That creates quite the sub-forum conundrum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    I once had this happen when I made the mistake of using a Vittoria Corsa G+ with the tread glued to the cotton-casing. The glue heated up and squeezed out from between the casing/tread.

The Zaffiro is a vulcanized tire though, so I have no idea what may have caused this... What pressure were you running in the tire and how much roller tension?
    I always set the tire to 110psi. The Magnus trainer has a "clutch knob" on it (sort of like a torque wrench) that you turn until it sets the tension it wants. I will say that the tension is higher than I would probably do myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    actually its about tires AND trainers. That creates quite the sub-forum conundrum
    If it's about "tires and trainers" it should probably be in the Wheels and Tires forum

where as

if it's about "trainers and tires" General Cycling would be the proper forum.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    If it's about "tires and trainers" it should probably be in the Wheels and Tires forum

where as

if it's about "trainers and tires" General Cycling would be the proper forum.
    I think this is a simplification. There is actually a 4th order quadratic equation that needs to be used to determine the correct forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think this is a simplification. There is actually a 4th order quadratic equation that needs to be used to determine the correct forum
    Who would have ever thought that cycling could be so complicated, let alone posting in a cycling forum.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I tire of tired old tire threads to the point of retiring from participating in tiring rehashed threads about thread counts as I'm threading the needle in heavy traffic while listening to old school Traffic sing Dear Mr. Fantasy while fantasizing about doing more training on the trainer when I hear a train horn off in the distance that snaps be back to the present moment and why I'm out here, to train.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Nice try. The quadratic equation is BY DEFINITION second order, not fourth order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Nice try. The quadratic equation is BY DEFINITION second order, not fourth order.
    Make it 4th order polynomial and all is well

Pooped a refrigerator.
    This is why I used Continental's trainer-specific tire. It's built to withstand the heat and sheer of a trainer, but it would suck on the road.
    Ghurarmu shirkush agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gl-n anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I'm using the Vittoria red trainer tire now with the Kurt kinetic. It's been 2 seasons now and it's showing cracks, so it's about time I replace it. Here are a few things I like about the Vittoria trainer tire vs the normal road tire is:
    1. the trainer tire runs more quietly than the road tire
    2. the trainer tire doesn't slip as easily as road tire, thus you can use less roller tension
    I put the Vittoria training tire on earlier this week. After a couple of rides I can say it is quieter, at least compared to the Zaffira I had on there before. More importantly (to me) is has a lower, less shrill pitch. We will have to see how it holds up

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    This is why I used Continental's trainer-specific tire. It's built to withstand the heat and sheer of a trainer, but it would suck on the road.
    That's what I used. One of those smooth orange do-jobbies. I still have one that I'll let go for an amazing low low price. My prices are [generally] insane.

I got one back when I was riding GP4000s when conti was boasting in their marketing about having carbon nano-particles or some similar "improvement" in the then-new chili compound.

I was concerned about those little guys (carbon nano-particles) sloughing off the tire and into my lungs during a workout.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Tires? Hmmmm...
    Why no similar reply in the crank thread you posted to? Is it just tires that give you a problem?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Why no similar reply in the crank thread you posted to? Is it just tires that give you a problem?
    Hold that thought.

I'll make popcorn.

What the what???

tire damage from trainer?

Meanwhile... back at the ranch...

Older tires are relegated to the rollers around here, but I am surprised at how quickly some of them get eaten. I went through 3 ThickSlick tires in pretty quick succession (long splits). I now have an old set of Ruffy Tuffys on the trainer bike, so well see how long they hold up.

I was under the (apparently misguided) impression that rollers werent too tough on tires. Im chalking it up to a combination of: cheaper rollers, a heavy rider and the fact that the back wheel has twice the points of contact it would normally have on the road. But if this keeps up, Im going to run out of old tires.

Oh... and ibtm...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast