Thread: Tire Levers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Tire Levers

Need advice on a good set of tire levers I can carry in my wedge. Ease of use and durability being the main concerns.

booglebug

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I prefer the old metal tire levers. I don't like the plastic ones because they're too wide. That makes them harder to get them under the bead of the tire to lever it off. Plastic may be a couple of grams lighter. That's nice. Too bad they don't work as well.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

eRacer
    I like the Blue Plastic Park Tool Levers.
    I like them because they are strong, fairly thin, and have a nice groove that fits on the edge of the rim makiing removal secure and fairly easy.
    I only use levers for tire removal, and very seldom/never for mounting a tire.

John
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you sure that you need them? Unless I'm working with wire beaded tires I can get the "folding" tires off by hand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Questionable

Quote Originally Posted by untoothedyouth
    Are you sure that you need them? Unless I'm working with wire beaded tires I can get the "folding" tires off by hand.
    You might be able to get YOUR tires off YOUR rims by hand, but be assured that this is not universal. There are tire/rim combinations for which virtually no one can get off by hand.

As to good tire levers, Campy makes some great ones, but there are many out there that will do the job.

eRacer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    You might be able to get YOUR tires off YOUR rims by hand, but be assured that this is not universal. There are tire/rim combinations for which virtually no one can get off by hand.

As to good tire levers, Campy makes some great ones, but there are many out there that will do the job.
    Completely agree.
    The Tire/e Rim combo that I can easily mount by hand still needs a lever to get started when removing the tire.

John
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

Good Person
    Well, i don't know what i would do without tire levers...

I've been able to mount/dismount many tires by hand, but dear god i've been sent on some cussfests with some tire-rim combos without tire levers...
    I like when you get to that point and I donít know if itís the endorphins kicking in or what, but you realize youíre so far from where you started, that youíre finally really somewhere else, a completely different place.

-Richard Sachs-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Spin doctor from performance makes a nice tire lever, metal covered by orange plastic. Use them in the shop every day and they are much better than other levers. Mostly because the metal gives it the stiffness that just straight plastic levers dont have.

Bill

Rub it............
    I'll second crossracers recommendation. I use these at home and in the shop with Bill. Also the Pedro's are really nice too. Besides, they are made out of recycled milk cartons. Very strong.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the advise! I"m an older rider with not as much hand strength as in the past.
    Putting open corso"s on campy rims and its very tight but love the ride of those tires.Really never liked the steel even back in the day and the plastic seems to break really easy. Park Tool or Campy , which is the best?
    Thanks

booglebug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Pedros! They are the best. The Park Tool levers totally suck. They break often. I completely gave up on 'em after breaking 6 of 'em. Pedros are strong, and work really well. Good stuff, and probably available at your local shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Pedro's levers work well and only cost about $4 a pair.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Pedro's by a long shot for me, they seem to last forever, and are gentle to use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have Pedros and they are great, but a bit big and bulky, especially if you have a very small saddle bag. I carry one in my bag (a micro Topeak) and it just barely fits in there. Sure, I could carry it in my jersey, but I don't like having much in my pockets.

I did gets some SKS ones when I needed to bump up an order total to get free shipping. I've used them once on the road and it took me a few times to get the tire off - so, they are not the greatest, but very small and did work. But, why carry a so-so tool, right? Two fit together nicely and are smaller than one Pedros. The tire was a GP 4000 and it was a Neuvation rim.

And yeah...some rim/tires go together no problem. But there are definitely some combos that just will not go without levers. Unless you are a magician

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh, and I also got a tire mounter thing off of eBay. Billed as working on any tire/rim. It is a grey plastic thing, hooks on the rim on one side, tire bead on the other. Eh, works okay on good combos, but on the bad ones, didn't really work as well as I had hoped.

Someone makes a Tire Jack...SKS, Topeak?? And that is billed as being great, but is a home mounting tool, unless you don't mind carrying it with you, but I wouldn't like to.

donuts?
    i use a park one i found on the road a decade ago. i use it to remove the tire. i use my thumbs to put it back on.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    I gotta say, I've had the worst time with mounting and dismounting tires as of late. My current setup is the GP4000 with a Reynolds DV3KC rims and occasionally, the same tire with the Mavic Ksyrium SL rims. Perhaps it has to do with these particular tires, but I've broken 2 levers trying to get these tires on. I finally had to buy a Kool-Stop Jack Bead Tire lever to get it the damn tires on. To get them off requires 2 Pedros levers.

I'm hoping it's the tire as my 3 year old pair of GP4000 tires on my old bike come on and off really easily--one lever to remove and just hands to reinstall.

BTW, anyone know of a brand of tires that are easier to install? They just have to come in red to match my color scheme...I know, I anal that way! I don't carry the Jack Bead when riding, so I'm hoping I never get a flat on the road with these particular tires.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    These are the ones I like the best. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/tire.html They're the 3rd one down.
    They're bent & have hooks so you can lever part of the tire off, then hook the lever on a spoke while using another one next to it if needed. The end that goes under the tire bead is thin, rounded and somewhat shaped like a spoon. The ends/width of the levers are about half the size of the plastic levers. This not only makes them easy to carry, but also easier to insert under the bead of a tight tire.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

So. Calif.
    I like Park Tool's blue levers ... they have an especially thin edge and are easier to get under the tire bead without damaging the tube. YMMV.

RoadBikeReview Member

Michelin

Plastic and broad. I've never broken one and never damaged a tube either.Just enough curve on the top to grab the top of the rim. I like them better than the Park but it's pretty much personal choice. Agreed on the Campy pre-built rims, some tires when new are a complete pain to get on.

Quote Originally Posted by booglebug
    Need advice on a good set of tire levers I can carry in my wedge. Ease of use and durability being the main concerns.

booglebug
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the Lezyne ones. Not as round of an edge as Park and they've held up great.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Another recommendation for Pedro's.

Cheap, work great, fit my hand well, and don't break. Can't ask for more than that.

What it is

Crank Bros Speed Lever

Mr. Versatile posted a link to this lever. The lever looks like an interesting take on the task.

http://www.amazon.com/Crank-Brothers.../dp/B001BIZARI

trying to HTFU...
    Improving on self-torture for more than 3.6^2 years.

Roadbikereview member
    I have a set of Wheelsmith tire levers that I got about 12 years ago, light green in color. They look like the Michelin tire levers, I need them for my Campy rims and Michelin tires combo.
    Andrew Jackson quotes:
    You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out.