Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

titanium upgrade

So I was taking a corner wide to avoid the wet leaves and had to change my line. There was a bit of dry that ran through the leaves. I knew that my chances weren't good but it looked to be my only hope.

Well wish in one hand and s**t in the other and I probably don't hafta say which one filled up.

I knew when I couldn't hardly get on my hands and knees that I had probably broken my hip. Man, sometimes it suks to be right.

Anyway, I had the surgery on thursday, was painfully shuffling around and negotiating stairs friday, walking saturday and home on sunday. All this shuffling and walking is with the aide of a walker.

The broken parts were removed and the new ones replaced all through a 6" incision in the upper front of my thigh. No muscle needed to be cut, just moved out of the way. It's like magic to me.

And if breaking my hip wasn't bad enough, it happened while I was on my new Della Santa with less than 650 miles. Looking at it at the scene of the accident it looked like my hip probably cushioned it's fall, but I really won't know till I'm a little more healed and flexible to get a good look at it.

It looks like it ain't gonna be a banner mileage year.

Born to chase Ducks

titanium upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    So I was taking a corner wide to avoid the wet leaves and had to change my line. There was a bit of dry that ran through the leaves. I knew that my chances weren't good but it looked to be my only hope.

Well wish in one hand and s**t in the other and I probably don't hafta say which one filled up.

I knew when I couldn't hardly get on my hands and knees that I had probably broken my hip. Man, sometimes it suks to be right.

Anyway, I had the surgery on thursday, was painfully shuffling around and negotiating stairs friday, walking saturday and home on sunday. All this shuffling and walking is with the aide of a walker.

The broken parts were removed and the new ones replaced all through a 6" incision in the upper front of my thigh. No muscle needed to be cut, just moved out of the way. It's like magic to me.

And if breaking my hip wasn't bad enough, it happened while I was on my new Della Santa with less than 650 miles. Looking at it at the scene of the accident it looked like my hip probably cushioned it's fall, but I really won't know till I'm a little more healed and flexible to get a good look at it.

I understand people appreciate titanium for its smooth ride.

Wow, sorry to hear about the hip. Amazing that they are able to do all that without cutting muscle. That is a huge plus. Hope your recovery goes well!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Wow. Really sorry to hear that! It sux. I crashed last year, broke 3 bones in my back. Very painful. Cracked my CF frame too. Luckily 2 months later I was riding again. Here is hoping you have a fast recovery and are out and about again soon.

Take care of yourself

wyrd bi ful rd
    Here's to a quick recovery and back on the roads again.

It is never nice to know a fellow cyclist has been involved in an unfortunate incident.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Sorry to hear that, I hope you recover soon. Keep it up man!

RoadBikeReview Member

That sucks, but I do pray you have a full and fast recovery with no life long problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the good words all.

So far all the medical people I've spoke with tell me I should be off the walker and on a cane in 6 weeks minimum, and I honestly feel as I could walk around the house without any artificial support now. But I ain't gonna try.

I've got confidence in the Saw-bones ability and have no fear that I'll face any serious problems.

It does look like my leg may be a skooch longer than it was but I can deal with that. Shux, I already had a funny gate from a fractured pelvis I suffered about 40 years ago.
    I'll just hafta raise the seat and shim my left foot, good as new.

But again, Thanks All.

won't you be my neighbor?
    Best of luck with your recovery.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

xxl: Your post is so stupid, if stupid had a cognitively-impaired relative, it would be your post.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

AM999: Romney 320 Electoral votes, Obama 218. Colorado profs' prediction model, 100% accurate since 1980.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day, it blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Anterior replacement is the ONLY way to go now. Good job on making the right choice! Hopefully youll be back on the bike sooner than later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

titanium upgrade

Dude, that is a pretty big deal if your leg is longer than it should be. You seem so nonchalant about it and it is making me actually laugh at a very serious crash. I hope things go well in your recovery.

You guys are all tough. I think I would sit in a corner and cry for weeks after a crash like that...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools View Post
    You guys are all tough. I think I would sit in a corner and cry for weeks after a crash like that...
    Nah, you wouldn't do that. You would pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get on with life. I hurt my back two July's ago, I rode my bike like crazy all the way up to November when weather got too nasty, had surgery that December, and was riding my bike in February much against the advice of my doc. But he didn't know it, and I was taking it easy, so I didn't see the harm, and it all healed up great according to the doc, but I still have pain, so what? I keep riding...and so would you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools View Post
    Dude, that is a pretty big deal if your leg is longer than it should be. You seem so nonchalant about it and it is making me actually laugh at a very serious crash. I hope things go well in your recovery.

Even if it is a big deal, it's done, and I sure ain't planning on gettin' took apart again. I'll limp and maybe other joints will wear at a faster rate, but Life, she's funny like that.

Like Froze said, You just gotta get on with your life. If you sit in a corner and cry for weeks you've lost those weeks, and ain't nobody gonna give 'em back.

I'm glad I could make you laugh, that was my intent. Like it's been said, "laughter is the best medicine".

is riding in MOPP4
    Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery! How's your Della Santa?
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery! How's your Della Santa?
    Man, thanks for askin'.

Looking at it while waiting for help I saw no obvious damage to the frame. I went down on my right side which put the derailer in the line of fire, so to speak.
    The rear derailer was scraped up, but I don't know if it's superficial or new derailer time. The handlebar tape was chewed up but I didn't get a good look at the levers.
    I didn't even think to look at the saddle, the chain was still on the chainring so I figure that the front derailer is OK and the pedals have been used on other bikes and they had some wear on them so I don't know what shape they're in.

I'm thinking that when my hip hit the ground the bike just popped off my feet and clattered to a stop without bearing any weight. I'll know more when I tear into it, but that'll hafta wait. My wife hung it on it's hook in the basement, where it belongs, and I'm not going to bother about it till I'm a little more stable on my feet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... glad your upgrade was titanium and not some crappy steel or carbon fiber...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ugh. Brings back bad memories. I fell on my right side, broken femur at the hip. Had a rod inserted in the femur, right leg ended up shorter than the left. Leg length discrepancy is a pain in the ass, not easily fixed with a shim because the angles in your hip are off, making your leg lean in (or out).

So I had the rod taken out, the leg length fixed by cutting the bone, blade plate and screws put in. Here is the rod they took out:

New hardware in:

That worked really well, except residual pain from the plate and screws. So had those removed last week. Here is the stuff they took out:

So if anyone needs some spare titanium parts, I have a few available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmak View Post
    Ugh. Brings back bad memories. I fell on my right side, broken femur at the hip. Had a rod inserted in the femur, right leg ended up shorter than the left. Leg length discrepancy is a pain in the ass, not easily fixed with a shim because the angles in your hip are off, making your leg lean in (or out).

So I had the rod taken out, the leg length fixed by cutting the bone, blade plate and screws put in. Here is the rod they took out:

New hardware in:

That worked really well, except residual pain from the plate and screws. So had those removed last week. Here is the stuff they took out:

Dude, that's a lot of surgerys. What about arthritis, has that been an issue yet?

I don't know, I'll be seein' the Saw-bones friday, but I sure don't see myself volunteering for any surgery till I've been on the bike. How much time between the initial repair and the the others. Also, how long before you were back on your feet after those repairs.

But, no matter what any of the answers are, I sure do hope that you've got it sorted out. Best of luck dude, and I sure do mean that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Accident was July 2011. Four weeks on crutches, then weight bearing slowly added. I kinda knew I was screwed by November, the leg was not working right. Second surgery was February 2012 (needed six months for the bone to fully harden). Then that was three months on crutches, I was back on the bike in June, logging really good miles by September. I found biking for this injury to be incredibly therapeutic - tons of reps at low weight, no impact. By the one year anniversary of the second surgery (February 2013) it was apparent that lingering pain was hardware related, so I just had it out a week ago. Now have a good chance of a 100% recovery.

Arthritis? I was told it was a risk if I didn't get the leg length discrepancy corrected. No signs of arthritis prior to the second surgery, or he said he would have recommended a hip replacement instead.

I feel like I do have it sorted out, it has been a journey. And all because of a five second mishap on the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Accident was July 2011. Four weeks on crutches, then weight bearing slowly added. I kinda knew I was screwed by November, the leg was not working right. Second surgery was February 2012 (needed six months for the bone to fully harden). Then that was three months on crutches, I was back on the bike in June, logging really good miles by September. I found biking for this injury to be incredibly therapeutic - tons of reps at low weight, no impact. By the one year anniversary of the second surgery (February 2013) it was apparent that lingering pain was hardware related, so I just had it out a week ago. Now have a good chance of a 100% recovery.

Arthritis? I was told it was a risk if I didn't get the leg length discrepancy corrected. No signs of arthritis prior to the second surgery, or he said he would have recommended a hip replacement instead.

I feel like I do have it sorted out, it has been a journey. And all because of a five second mishap on the bike.
    Arthritis was one of the factors to go with the full replacement, there was already signs of it. That and the ability to go full weight bearing right off the table.

Yeah, it's funny how a seemingly small incident can turn your whole life up-side-down.
    Glad you got it sorted out.

Just don't do it again nomore.

RoadBikeReview Member

New hardware in:

That worked really well, except residual pain from the plate and screws. So had those removed last week.

What would be cool is you have or someday buy a titanium bike, then with zip ties attach the ti rod to the frame as a memento...

Sluggo
    I feel your pain. I broke my hip a few years ago about a quarter of a mile from my house. Long story short is that two titanium screws were installed on my right femur at the neck to hold everything together. I already had a titanium plate on my left collarbone from an earlier crash, so it kind of evened things out.

It took about 8 weeks of recovery to get back on the bike. I went from a walker (which everyone made fun of), to crutches (after the walker they felt great), to a cane (that was cool), then walking unassisted. There was physical therapy towards the end, as well.

One of my bikes is Ti/carbon. I have a real kinship with that bike.

Hope you recover soon.

Art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Reading this thread makes me wanna go slower on mountain descents now. I probably will do that. Thanks for remind me how fragile a human body can be at speed and lycra.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Reading this thread makes me wanna go slower on mountain descents now. I probably will do that. Thanks for remind me how fragile a human body can be at speed and lycra.
    Dude, This didn't happen on no mountain and my computer says 18mph at the time of the crash. That's a lot slower than decending a mountain.

I recommend hitting the ground and sliding after the impact. I'm only guessing, but I think that if I would have slid for any distance, I might have been covered in road rash but the hip would still be intact. I slid so little that my shorts don't even have a hole at the impact point.

Hitting the ground and stopping transferred all that energy into my hip.

But, yeah, we are fragile creatures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Welcome to the club

The initial dues are kind of a pain. Got some titanium for my shoulder this December. It's about 100% now, but I had some problems getting things to move right for a while. Get that stuff moving as soon as possible. Don't worry too much about moving a lot of weight. Just work on range of motion stuff. The strength will come later.

Your going to love physical therapy. They will teach you how to count to ten, backwards AND forwards! I think I'm probably qualified to do NASA countdowns now.

Remember one thing. Chicks dig scars! Well that's what I keep telling myself but it's working so far.

Feel better and get well quick

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeerthepirate View Post
    Welcome to the club

The initial dues are kind of a pain. Got some titanium for my shoulder this December. It's about 100% now, but I had some problems getting things to move right for a while. Get that stuff moving as soon as possible. Don't worry too much about moving a lot of weight. Just work on range of motion stuff. The strength will come later.

Your going to love physical therapy. They will teach you how to count to ten, backwards AND forwards! I think I'm probably qualified to do NASA countdowns now.

Remember one thing. Chicks dig scars! Well that's what I keep telling myself but it's working so far.

Feel better and get well quick
    Yeah, I've busted up both my shoulders over the years. Broke the left one maybe 10yrs ago. That one just healed as it was, can still feel the knot where it's mis-aligned.

The right was a little more severe, tore and separated all three ligaments and the rotator cuff. The Saw-bones pulled some tendon out of my hamstring to use as replacement ligament and used a coupla screws for the rotator cuff. He done a good job, giving me complete range of motion and hardly a scar.
    This one was a long recovery, about 10 months total, from injury to repair to back to work.

But a shoulder's more complicated than a hip and I'm hoping to be back to work before 3 months.

And as far as chicks digging scars, my Wife says that they better not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast