Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    @ibericb Just curious to why your friend was charged in that case? What was the criminal element?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you have any hard data to back up that statement? You know, actual crime stats from a reputable source showing that clergy are arrested and convicted of criminal violations at a higher rate than other professions?
    Well now isn't the big church in Rome in hot water over corruption and r&ping little kids? And hey I have an uncle - the only religious nut in the family, hardcore Baptist sunday school teacher .. turn out he was r&ping a bunch of kids too.

The majority of episodes of American Greed involved a pastor/preacher guy using religion as a way to scam people out of their savings.

I am not saying the fundamentals of the job are about corruption, but that the job attracts the criminals looking for easy prey, people who assume the clergy are somehow less corrupted than the average person

OK I admit I had real bad experiences with churches in my life, they were vortex of evil and suffering to people around me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    It is true that the protestant clergy have a higher rate of molestation than catholic priests ( I was a social worker in child abuse ) ( and catholic for disclosure sake but I am not defending them ) but there are no studies I know of that say clergy commit crimes higher than average....( if they did I could have used them against them in court )
    I live in north Baltimore and think this accident was terrible especially on such a well marked and traveled bike lane....she had to be under the influence....there was a similar case in june at the end of the b and a trail...she was intoxicated....I bike 5000 miles a year and very little in the city....the drivers are too crazy and aggressive...I advise people to bike on trails and in the rural areas....until they make dedicated bike lanes ala netherlands we are simply road kill waiting to happen

RoadBikeReview Member
    My father was an ordained Romain Catholic Priest. He wrote an autobiography about leaving the priesthood in the 50's that (in mention) exposed the culture of predation. We received a pillow case of death threats a week. He hit the NYT best seller list. But the amount of people that would find him to tell their abuse stories was unbelievable.
    If I knew then what I know now, I woulda done it anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Still nothing from Baltimore on charging of Cook -- still very hushed on the investigation.

I wouldn't bet on intoxication, but it wouldn't surprise me if she was. I've seen more erratic driving with people fooling with mobile phones while driving. It's damned scary.

As far as involvement of clergy with crime - there is no way of generating any meaningful statistics for comparison. Occupation of those arrested isn't one of the things noted for statistical comparisons. Any report by anyone of the relative rate of crime for clergy is anecdotal, based on media reports. Personally, I see no reason to believe that any clergy member is either more or less likely to be a criminal or involved in any criminal act than any otherwise comparably matched lay person.

Not Banned
    felony hit and run

I don't care if she came back

beat her within an inch of her life and then leave her somewhere to die alone and helpless

sorry, I get 'eye for an eye' on these matters

she hit someone and left them there to die (she didn't know he was dead)

she has no compassion for human life, she is selfish

she needs the boot from the clergy as she is clearly unfit
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Tom Palermo, framebuilder, killed by car while riding

Agreed^

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good turnout for a memorial ride yesterday. Another ghost bike added.
    Story here.

wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    I wouldn't bet on intoxication, but it wouldn't surprise me if she was. I've seen more erratic driving with people fooling with mobile phones while driving. It's damned scary.
    Agreed. In the Bishop's case given her history intoxication is likely. But around here, its all of the texting while behind the wheel that is especially bothersome. It's out of control! The legislature passed a law against it; but really its just feel good legislation because how do you enforce/prove it. I'm not sure what the answer is, but this is epidemic in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    As far as involvement of clergy with crime - there is no way of generating any meaningful statistics for comparison. Occupation of those arrested isn't one of the things noted for statistical comparisons. Any report by anyone of the relative rate of crime for clergy is anecdotal, based on media reports. Personally, I see no reason to believe that any clergy member is either more or less likely to be a criminal or involved in any criminal act than any otherwise comparably matched lay person.
    Well said!
    There I was...

RoadBikeReview Member

Tom Palermo, framebuilder, killed by car while riding

Enforcement of the no texting while driving law in the UK is very reactive rather than pro-active. IF there is a serious accident causing significant damage, injury or even death THEN the police pull up phone records.

Not pro-active implementation via camera/observers to my knowledge.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post
    Enforcement of the no texting while driving law in the UK is very reactive rather than pro-active. IF there is a serious accident causing significant damage, injury or even death THEN the police pull up phone records.

Not pro-active implementation via camera/observers to my knowledge.
    Your Australian cousins do it fairly well:
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    I came across this rather ironic sermon by Bishop Cook herself. At 7:07 she said, "Things happen suddenly, and we're either prepared in the moment or we're not, and we face the consequences. We can't go back. We can't do it over. In real life there are no instant replays. I think this is something of a hard message to give to you today. My perception is that we live in the midst of a culture that doesn't like to hold us accountable for consequences. That somehow everybody gets a free pass all the time. Well, we do in terms of God's love and forgiveness, but we don't in many other things that happen, and it's up to us to be responsible."

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Bishop Heather Cook to be charged with manslaughter in hit and run death of Thomas Palermo - Baltimore Sun

"Episcopal Bishop Heather Cook will be charged with manslaughter in the fatal crash that killed cyclist Thomas Palermo, new state's attorney Marilyn J. Mosby announced Friday morning.

Episcopal leaders awaiting details of case involving bishop involved in fatal accident

Cook will face charges of leaving the scene of a fatal accident; driving under the influence and causing an accident due to texting while driving. Both the manslaughter and leaving the scene charge carry a maximum sentence of 10 years imprisonment.

A warrant will be issued for Cook's arrest, prosecutors said.

The collision happened Dec. 27 as Palermo was cycling through Roland Park. Church officials identified Cook as the driver of the car that struck Palermo. Cook left the scene in shock, but returned later, according to the church.

At a press conference, Mosby said Cook registered a .22 blood alcohol level after the crash. The legal limit in Maryland is .08.

Mosby alleged that Cook was texting, and that Palermo was in bike lane when Cook's veered into his lane and struck him."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post

Cook will face charges of leaving the scene of a fatal accident; driving under the influence and causing an accident due to texting while driving. Both the manslaughter and leaving the scene charge carry a maximum sentence of 10 years imprisonment.

A warrant will be issued for Cook's arrest, prosecutors said."

Good !

She stands to do a fair amount of time, especially in light of her prior DUI history.

Thanks for the update.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Added - this reported by WBAL:

"... According to I-Team lead investigative reporter Jayne Miller, her blood-alcohol level was allegedly .22, nearly three times the legal limit. ..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    From NY Times:
    Baltimore Bishop Charged in Hit-and-Run Case

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER
    JAN. 9, 2015

BALTIMORE — One of the highest ranking officials in the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland was facing multiple charges on Friday in connection with a hit-and-run accident that killed a popular cyclist here two days after Christmas.

As her first act as the state’s attorney for Baltimore City, Marilyn J. Mosby, who won in an upset election this fall, said, Suffragan Bishop Heather Cook was drunk and texting when she hit Thomas Palermo, 41, a bike safety advocate.

At a news conference this morning, Ms. Mosby said Bishop Cook would face charges including vehicular manslaughter, criminal negligence, driving under the influence of alcohol, texting while driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

“This is an extremely tragic incident,” said Ms. Mosby, who said she had met with the victim’s family. “I assured them that no one is above the law.”

Ms. Mosby said Bishop Cook, elected last year to the No. 2 position in the diocese in spite of the fact that she had been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol in 2010, was found to have a 0.22 blood alcohol level when brought to the police station after she returned to the scene of the accident.
    Photo
    Suffragan Bishop Heather Cook, who is in the diocese's No. 2 spot, was driving the car that hit Thomas Palermo, 41, a cyclist. Credit Episcopal Diocese of Maryland

Church officials said earlier that Bishop Cook was driving the car that killed Mr. Palermo, the father of two children who was hit in broad daylight while riding in a bike lane on the northern edge of town. Ms. Mosby said, Bishop Cook was texting while driving and veered into the right lane and struck him . Mr. Palermo died at an area hospital shortly after. The bishop left the scene of the accident and went home before returning roughly 20 minutes later.

The case has attracted attention and generated questions about fairness in a high-crime city with a reputation for aggressive law enforcement tactics although the police declined to arrest her immediately or reveal whether she had been tested for intoxication.
    Photo
    Thomas Palermo in a photo provided by his family.

On Friday, Mr. Palermo’s sister-in-law, Alisa Wolf, placed a fresh bouquet of flowers at a makeshift memorial where the accident occurred. “We are grateful for the attention that has been given to this case,” said Ms. Wolf, the sister of Mr. Palermo’s wife, Rachael. “This should have been a safe place for him to be.”

Bishop Cook has been placed on administrative leave and has been barred from all ministry activities while the police and internal church investigations continue, said Sharon Tillman, a spokeswoman for the diocese. “We are cooperating fully with Baltimore city police,” she said.

The handling of the case has become a flash point for a panoply of issues — from the fairness of the criminal justice system to the due diligence in vetting one of the highest ranking women in the church in Maryland to bike safety.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    Quote Originally Posted by bousson View Post
    From NY Times:

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER
    JAN. 9, 2015

BALTIMORE — One of the highest ranking officials in the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland was facing multiple charges on Friday in connection with a hit-and-run accident that killed a popular cyclist here two days after Christmas.

As her first act as the state’s attorney for Baltimore City, Marilyn J. Mosby, who won in an upset election this fall, said, Suffragan Bishop Heather Cook was drunk and texting when she hit Thomas Palermo, 41, a bike safety advocate.

At a news conference this morning, Ms. Mosby said Bishop Cook would face charges including vehicular manslaughter, criminal negligence, driving under the influence of alcohol, texting while driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

“This is an extremely tragic incident,” said Ms. Mosby, who said she had met with the victim’s family. “I assured them that no one is above the law.”

Ms. Mosby said Bishop Cook, elected last year to the No. 2 position in the diocese in spite of the fact that she had been charged with driving under the influence of alcohol in 2010, was found to have a 0.22 blood alcohol level when brought to the police station after she returned to the scene of the accident.
    Photo
    Suffragan Bishop Heather Cook, who is in the diocese's No. 2 spot, was driving the car that hit Thomas Palermo, 41, a cyclist. Credit Episcopal Diocese of Maryland

Church officials said earlier that Bishop Cook was driving the car that killed Mr. Palermo, the father of two children who was hit in broad daylight while riding in a bike lane on the northern edge of town. Ms. Mosby said, Bishop Cook was texting while driving and veered into the right lane and struck him . Mr. Palermo died at an area hospital shortly after. The bishop left the scene of the accident and went home before returning roughly 20 minutes later.

The case has attracted attention and generated questions about fairness in a high-crime city with a reputation for aggressive law enforcement tactics although the police declined to arrest her immediately or reveal whether she had been tested for intoxication.
    Photo
    Thomas Palermo in a photo provided by his family.

On Friday, Mr. Palermo’s sister-in-law, Alisa Wolf, placed a fresh bouquet of flowers at a makeshift memorial where the accident occurred. “We are grateful for the attention that has been given to this case,” said Ms. Wolf, the sister of Mr. Palermo’s wife, Rachael. “This should have been a safe place for him to be.”

Bishop Cook has been placed on administrative leave and has been barred from all ministry activities while the police and internal church investigations continue, said Sharon Tillman, a spokeswoman for the diocese. “We are cooperating fully with Baltimore city police,” she said.

The handling of the case has become a flash point for a panoply of issues — from the fairness of the criminal justice system to the due diligence in vetting one of the highest ranking women in the church in Maryland to bike safety.
    Thank God. She needs to do hard time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bousson View Post
    From NY Times:
    Glad to see this, If I can even feel glad about any part of it.

I bet she was better at driving drunk than TXTing....

ZERO, repeat ZERO!!! amounts of all the characteristics which a person in her position should be at the top of the heap.

SAD SAD SAD
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    texting was made illegal a while back and still people ignore it....she deserves maximum penalty for that.... and the drinking...,22 in the afternoon is a severe drunkie....ten years no parole....minimum....she should have known better...we let drunks get away with it too much in Maryland....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bruni94 View Post
    texting was made illegal a while back and still people ignore it....she deserves maximum penalty for that.... and the drinking...,22 in the afternoon is a severe drunkie....ten years no parole....minimum....she should have known better...we let drunks get away with it too much in Maryland....
    Easy for one to assume on the surface she may well be a full blow alcoholic, Very easy I would say!

"I bet she was better at driving drunk than TXTing"

Maybe if she was not so drunk she could have got the txt out faster that time.

She will learn that the 'forgive and forget' she presumably preached is a thing of the past for her.

Useless excuse for a human.
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

User is infamous around
    'Forgive and forget' is a nice saying, but while I'm not Catholic or Episcopalian, I was under the belief that confession and penance were required before forgiveness could be expected. As a protestant, even we expect at least an apology and an attempt at restitution before hoping for forgiveness from the wronged.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    Easy for one to assume on the surface she may well be a full blow alcoholic, Very easy I would say!

"I bet she was better at driving drunk than TXTing"

Maybe if she was not so drunk she could have got the txt out faster that time.

She will learn that the 'forgive and forget' she presumably preached is a thing of the past for her.

Useless excuse for a human.
    Given her prior history, the extreme level then, and again now but in the afternoon, I would be that is most certainly an alcoholic. She got a real break the first time. Given what happened here, I doubt she will get much of a break at all., and she shouldn't. I would also expect that police and the courts in MD will now become less tolerant for first time offenders.

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    I'm not sure if this got posted anywhere in the post, but on my local NPR station today I learned that the bishop blew a .22 about an hour after the event. My sense is that this bishop is going to jail for quite a long long. It is not justice, but it will be punishment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    ZERO, repeat ZERO!!! amounts of all the characteristics which a person in her position should be at the top of the heap.

SAD SAD SAD
    She might have been good at the seks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    'Forgive and forget' is a nice saying, but while I'm not Catholic or Episcopalian, I was under the belief that confession and penance were required before forgiveness could be expected. As a protestant, even we expect at least an apology and an attempt at restitution before hoping for forgiveness from the wronged.
    Will she plead not innocent due to an attempt at restitution is the question. You would not want me on that jury...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast