Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
    Car window; must have been in some state to hit someone and drive away:
    Wow. That's a heck of a hit.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by bousson View Post

At a news conference this morning, Ms. Mosby said Bishop Cook would face charges including vehicular manslaughter, criminal negligence, driving under the influence of alcohol, texting while driving and leaving the scene of an accident.
    Drunk and texting while driving. Sweet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It appears the Baltimore City Court is not taking Bishop Heather Cook's case lightly.

Bishop Heather Cook’s bail set at $2.5 million

Trial date has been set for Feb 6, but that undoubtedly will get pushed back by defense counsel.

Prairie Rider
    Sounds pretty open and shut. Might be better to get things over with, and start any sentence the court may pass. Punishment should fit the obvious crime. The reason she actually returned to the scene was that cyclists followed her to her home after she had cruised past the incident. How is that the action of a responsible shepherd of an entire diocese? (Who gave an admonishing sermon on the evils of speeding to her congregation?) Newsbusters has a bit of a different take on her return to the accident scene.
    "Many Baltimore-area cyclists have been focused since Saturday on the case, noting that Cook left the scene after the 2:30 p.m. crash, despite having a heavily broken windshield. Sutton's letter said Cook returned to the scene "after about 20 minutes to take responsibility for her actions." However, cyclists on several Baltimore news and biking sites said that her car was chased by other cyclists and that she returned only because of that."
    http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2015/01/01/washpost-buries-hit-and-run-death-caused-female-episcopalian-bishop
    Last edited by Midlifecyclist; 01-11-2015 at 05:50 AM.
    Not so fast!

RoadBikeReview Member
    In her prior DUI arrest, her BAC was .27. This time it was .22. In mid afternoon. This woman has a serious drinking problem. Many of us would be passed out at that stage.

I'm hoping that they charge her with multiple offenses, where she can be placed on lifetime probation, with a condition that she not drive, after she does her time. If this is possible under Maryland law. This woman has no business behind the wheel, ever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    I'm hoping that they charge her with multiple offenses.
    She will be if not already been; vehicular manslaughter, criminal negligence, driving under the influence of alcohol, texting while driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

BUT! what is likely to occur is a max of 2-3 years actual sentencing with concurrent time served. She after all had no intent to cause harm. Strictly negligence, and a lot of it easily argued.

And you can not rule out her lawyer cutting a deal. If they play ball I am afraid the outcome will make for a lot of pissed off citizens. I bet criminal negligence will be the first target 'deal wise' to get tossed...

OR:

These published charges is just to blow smoke up the public's ars and she as good as already has probation.
    Not like that ever happens.

I'd like to see the diocese throw her under the bus and get behind full sentencing.
    Last edited by robt57; 01-11-2015 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=robt57;4785356]She will be if not already been; vehicular manslaughter, criminal negligence, driving under the influence of alcohol, texting while driving and leaving the scene of an accident.
    ... [QUOTE]

If you look at the Baltimore Brew I provided above, you can see the entire listing of charges. The prosecuting attorney has thrown everything at her she can, and will leave it for a jury to sort out. In this case, the facts will be hard to argue against. Pretty much convictions, it's just a matter of the degree (criminal or negligent).

Given her prior history, repeated this time with a death involved, and the leaving the scene, my guess is she will get at least 5 years sentenced, and be out in 3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Missed that, thanks for steering me back up the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    If you look at the Baltimore Brew I provided above, you can see the entire listing of charges. The prosecuting attorney has thrown everything at her she can, and will leave it for a jury to sort out. In this case, the facts will be hard to argue against. Pretty much convictions, it's just a matter of the degree (criminal or negligent).

Given her prior history, repeated this time with a death involved, and the leaving the scene, my guess is she will get at least 5 years sentenced, and be out in 3.
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    Missed that, thanks for steering me back up the thread.
    NP

From what I've read, a very sizable community in Baltimore is very angry over the Bishop. I would not be surprised to see her take a plea to the lesser versions of the charges and some kind of deal worked out. The prosecutor's position is political, and she's brand new on the job. My guess is she will want at last 5 years. It will come down to agreeing on a recommendation to the Judge, and then the Judge's decision if it's reasonable.

As for the Bishop, her future is probably relegated to public service work in an interest of helping others who would otherwise repeat her errors. I doubt she has any future with the Episcopal Church, other than possibly as a member.

RoadBikeReview Member
    She should rot in prison. And if she believes in it, she should follow that up with rotting in hell. Multiple offender that would be hiding from the truth if she wasn't outed. 3X the limit AGAIN! Texting. The Episcopal church has issues with alcohol, it's been brought up before... But she set out that day with a reckless disregard for the life she would take. She is a monster. And she should be locked away like any other monster to protect the public from her intoxicated disregard for human life.

Cut down from behind with no f'in chance... That doesn't sit well with any roadie. Leave the scene but get outed? Texting (from your phone records)? Second time 3X the legal limit? Rot. Go rot.
    If I knew then what I know now, I woulda done it anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    She is a monster. And she should be locked away like any other monster to protect the public from her intoxicated disregard for human life.
    You can't know that she is a monster.

If she is a normal person, then yes, she is fairly monstrous. If she is an alcoholic, however, then she has limited control over her actions. This does not absolve her of guilt - she did kill someone. She still must be severely punished, and should serve jail time in my opinion. Alcoholics are not monsters, they are chemically dependent. We deserve to be protected from them, and that includes "punishments" such as incarceration and loss of driving privileges.

It is to be hoped that, if she's an alcoholic, she'll get the treatment she needs. But the reality is that no treatment for alcoholism is truly effective.

------------------

User is infamous around
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    She should rot in prison. And if she believes in it, she should follow that up with rotting in hell. Multiple offender that would be hiding from the truth if she wasn't outed. 3X the limit AGAIN! Texting. The Episcopal church has issues with alcohol, it's been brought up before... But she set out that day with a reckless disregard for the life she would take. She is a monster. And she should be locked away like any other monster to protect the public from her intoxicated disregard for human life.

Cut down from behind with no f'in chance... That doesn't sit well with any roadie. Leave the scene but get outed? Texting (from your phone records)? Second time 3X the legal limit? Rot. Go rot.
    Might want to tone down the rhetoric a notch. I know where you're coming from and whole-heartedly agree with the sentiment, but you're getting close to the line where people would tune you out. Again, you're not wrong, but I'd suggest dialing it back a hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There was a bail hearing in Court this afternoon. The Judge refused to lower or alter the bail of $2.5 million. Her attorney stated she doesn't have the money for the bail set. She remains in custody in lieu of bail.

You can play with online calculators or look-up charts to get an idea of how much beverage alcohol she would have had to consume to hit the 0.22 level she demonstrated some 30+ minutes after the accident. Her weight has been reported as 250 lbs (height 5'7"). Using that along with female I got something like 18 ounces of 80 proof vodka over a period of 4 hours preceding the test. If you go with light beer at 12 oz each, it would take about 20 over the preceding 6 hours.

She definitely still has a drinking problem, as she did when she was previously arrested for DUI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Might want to tone down the rhetoric a notch. I know where you're coming from and whole-heartedly agree with the sentiment, but you're getting close to the line where people would tune you out. Again, you're not wrong, but I'd suggest dialing it back a hair.

Sure is easy to understand folks feeling as such though. I could make known some faith based disappointments my parents experienced decades ago. And each separately an non connected as they were long divorced and of different faiths.

My Dad in particular would probably have strong feeling and comments regarding the dioceses/sin hypocrisy ratio on this one I suspect. Who wouldn't really?

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    They don't call it the Whiskeypalian Church for no reason...

"Maybe if she was not so drunk she could have got the txt out faster that time."

Does not matter. Texting is illegal and dangerous when behind the wheel. Your comment is as bad as that of someone excusing drunk driving - both habits endanger other people's lives and should not be tolerated.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Prairie Rider
    Being an Episcopalian, I'd have to say I've seen no more alcoholism there than elsewhere. My issue is with the situation in which there was a known problem with this person, and little was done about it until this tragedy. It's sad someone had to die, a talented cyclist and framebuilder with 2 young children and a wife. A man who was left by this person to die in the road. That's wrong, no matter what .
    Not so fast!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    felony hit and run

I don't care if she came back

beat her within an inch of her life and then leave her somewhere to die alone and helpless

sorry, I get 'eye for an eye' on these matters

she hit someone and left them there to die (she didn't know he was dead)

she has no compassion for human life, she is selfish

she needs the boot from the clergy as she is clearly unfit
    No sh!t. Anyone who can drive off with a windshield cratered by a human body is not connecting the dots. The lady needs to be pulled back to square one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    They don't call it the Whiskeypalian Church for no reason...

"Maybe if she was not so drunk she could have got the txt out faster that time."

Does not matter. Texting is illegal and dangerous when behind the wheel. Your comment is as bad as that of someone excusing drunk driving - both habits endanger other people's lives and should not be tolerated.
    Obviously, [and DUH] although perhaps if she had it out faster and saw him and the cyclist was alive it would be good, sorta my point... And an attempt at some sort of levity. You took it wrong, sorry if it is my fault you did. Levity is not always in the best taste I guess, but I assure it is a case of if you don't laugh you will cry on my part.

GeoCyclist
    Oct 2002
    I use a 60 lumen rear rechargeable blinky day time
    After being run over last May, I started using flashing lights on my bike during daylight rides. This was the only way I could convince myself I'd mitigated the risk of being hit again. I use very bright lights (200 lumens) that are visible for a couple blocks in broad daylight. I turn the lights off when riding in a group; as the lights are just too distracting to the other riders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unfortunately, being visible doesn't always equate with being seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    She will not get off lightly. Unlike many other cases involving cyclists and injury or death, this one has become public, and has been covered across the entire US, and in some other countries as well. There is far too much publicity for Baltimore to go lightly on her, especially due to her position, and now reputation as being an alcoholic.

The city is going to make an example of her, and in this case, I think it is perfectly acceptable and valid, unlike some other cases involving prosecutors trying to make an example out of victimless crimes (google Aaron Schwartz for a good example)

She will be if not already been; vehicular manslaughter, criminal negligence, driving under the influence of alcohol, texting while driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

BUT! what is likely to occur is a max of 2-3 years actual sentencing with concurrent time served. She after all had no intent to cause harm. Strictly negligence, and a lot of it easily argued.

And you can not rule out her lawyer cutting a deal. If they play ball I am afraid the outcome will make for a lot of pissed off citizens. I bet criminal negligence will be the first target 'deal wise' to get tossed...

OR:

These published charges is just to blow smoke up the public's ars and she as good as already has probation.
    Not like that ever happens.

I'd like to see the diocese throw her under the bus and get behind full sentencing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    You can play with online calculators or look-up charts to get an idea of how much beverage alcohol she would have had to consume to hit the 0.22 level she demonstrated some 30+ minutes after the accident. Her weight has been reported as 250 lbs (height 5'7"). Using that along with female I got something like 18 ounces of 80 proof vodka over a period of 4 hours preceding the test. If you go with light beer at 12 oz each, it would take about 20 over the preceding 6 hours.

She definitely still has a drinking problem, as she did when she was previously arrested for DUI.
    Holy crap.. after that much Vodka, I would be curled up in a ball on the bathroom floor hugging the porcelain god..

That Many beers.. I would be peeing every 15 min.. and probably also throwing up.. and more to the point, beer is filling, no way I can drink that many even if I wanted to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Holy crap.. after that much Vodka, I would be curled up in a ball on the bathroom floor hugging the porcelain god..

That Many beers.. I would be peeing every 15 min.. and probably also throwing up.. and more to the point, beer is filling, no way I can drink that many even if I wanted to.
    It is a rather shocking BA level when you look into what it would take to get there. Clearly, her history is long and serious.

Prairie Rider
    The bishop has a new address.
    Bishop Charged in Cyclist Death to Remain in Baltimore Jail - ABC News
    Due to the whole "flight risk" thing.
    Not so fast!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I like how her lawyer argued at bail hearing she would enter an alcohol rehab and wear electronic ankle bracelet. Dude, she is in rehab, cold turkey rehab. And soon may well get a bracelet from her new mac-mommy.

I got no sympathy....

Quote Originally Posted by Midlifecyclist View Post
    The bishop has a new address.
    Bishop Charged in Cyclist Death to Remain in Baltimore Jail - ABC News
    Due to the whole "flight risk" thing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast