Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post

I got no sympathy....
    Neither did the Judge

User is infamous around
    Quote Originally Posted by ibericb View Post
    Neither did the Judge
    Judge just followed the law. No money, no bail. It's telling that the Diocese wouldn't pony up for her, considering her position.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Banned forever.....or not
    This Just In...
    Bishop accused in cyclist’s death suspected of being drunk before her installation

Bishop accused in cyclist?s death suspected of being drunk before her installation
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    This Just In...
    Bishop accused in cyclist’s death suspected of being drunk before her installation
    Generally people with her level of drinking problem are legally drunk all of the time.
    "When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments."
    -Elizabeth Howard West

Never use your face as a brake pad.”
    -Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ya that's not going to help at all when the a driver is looking down at their phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    I suppose it could have been knocked off but I don't see any rear light (or front light) on the bike ( not to say that would have saved him)? I ride with front and rear lights day and night and I believe it does help be seen. I use a Dinotte 300R on the rear and have had numerous people say how good they can see it and want to know what kind it is. When it comes time for charges I wonder if he had a video camera that caught the incident?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    How does a bishop not know to stop if you hit a bicyclist (or pedestrian for that matter)? She might have been able to render aid or at least call an ambulance immediately. Maybe he'd still be alive.
    She probably panicked and wasn't in the right mind frame and when she came to her senses decided to go back

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtor View Post
    She probably panicked and wasn't in the right mind frame and when she came to her senses decided to go back
    From records already pointed to in this thread:

1. She was very intoxicated at the time, and she had prior arrests and convictions for DUI in MD.
    2. She was texting, illegally, while operating a motor vehicle.
    3. She him in a marked bicycle lane.

All good reasons to be fearful and to be emotional, but none of them good reasons to flee the scene leaving the cyclist alone after hitting him. No decent person with a moral conscience would do that.

There were witnesses who identified the car, and she as tracked down by another cyclist, and that's the reason she returned. Did you see the pics of the damage to her car? I find it incredible that she drove away leaving what she had to know was a seriously injured cyclist without stopping to render aid after she plowed into him.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtor View Post
    She only came to her senses because a group of cyclists followed her home and forced her to return.

If she gets less than 10 years before parole eligibility, I'll be extremely disappointed.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Well, I'm extremely disappointed.

Former Episcopal bishop Heather Cook sentenced to 7 years in drunk-driving death of cyclist - Baltimore Sun

After having a BAC nearly three times the limit, texting while driving, fleeing the scene, pleading not guilty in April before changing her mind, seven years is far too short.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    After having a BAC nearly three times the limit.
    And I believe test was conducted well over an hour after the CRIME.

May she be judged by her maker... minus the forgiveness aspect, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

I love to climb!
    Well, I'm extremely disappointed.

Former Episcopal bishop Heather Cook sentenced to 7 years in drunk-driving death of cyclist - Baltimore Sun

After having a BAC nearly three times the limit, texting while driving, fleeing the scene, pleading not guilty in April before changing her mind, seven years is far too short.
    Yes, disappointing. Thanks for the update.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I looked into this last week. The plea deal included a rec from the prosecutor for 10 years vs. 20 max, with an additional 10 years probation. The judge booted the 10 year term down to 7, and the additional 10 year probation remains. So she gets 7 years behind bars (which means something like 3.5-4), followed by 10 years of probation, and if she violates that she'll go back for the remainder.

This is one of those rare cases where I can honestly say I don't see any appreciable societal benefit for keeping her behind bars for ~10 years, or longer, then releasing her. She has the potential to still do a lot of community good.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

RoadBikeReview Member
    I looked into this last week. The plea deal included a rec from the prosecutor for 10 years vs. 20 max, with an additional 10 years probation. The judge booted the 10 year term down to 7, and the additional 10 year probation remains. So she gets 7 years behind bars (which means something like 3.5-4), followed by 10 years of probation, and if she violates that she'll go back for the remainder.

This is one of those rare cases where I can honestly say I don't see any appreciable societal benefit for keeping her behind bars for ~10 years, or longer, then releasing her. She has the potential to still do a lot of community good.
    Thank you for the additional information. Yours is a wonderful and kind hearted post and I agree. You lifted my spirits. I'd like to add, the very same logic applies to the vast majority of convicts. Yes, there are a small percentage of sociopaths, extremely violent people and natural born criminals, but they make up a tiny amount of the incarcerated population. The vast majority will do more time then she will and have committed non violent crimes, mostly drug possession convictions. Socially bad by our definition but far different in severity then murdering someone with your vehicle, stone drunk, texting and then fleeing. Thereare tens of thousands of people behind bars with a good left they can do, not one or two. Some of them, a smaller number, are even violent offenders, like her... Your post begs a fundamental reexamination of our criminal justice sentencing model. Is there a role for humanity and hope for ex-offenders? I believe, with some support, that there is a whole lot of good left in a whole lot of people that did dumb ass, dangerous, even violent things.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Just another maladjusted person hiding behind religion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Maybe they should make this sorry excuse for a human being pay child support, and expenses of the widow and her children, for the rest of her miserable life.

Sorry, but I have no compassion for repeat offenders of DUI, especially when they render children fatherless. Prayers for the widow and her children.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    Maybe they should make this sorry excuse for a human being pay child support, and expenses of the widow and her children, for the rest of her miserable life.

Sorry, but I have no compassion for repeat offenders of DUI, especially when they render children fatherless. Prayers for the widow and her children.
    I'm sure the Palermo family will win a handsome wrongful death suit in civil court.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I'm sure the Palermo family will win a handsome wrongful death suit in civil court.
    Don't know about that. What does an Episcopal bishop earn?

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Don't know about that. What does an Episcopal bishop earn?
    Enough to drink like a fish every day.

EDIT: To give you a slightly more serious answer I've found the following sources on Episcopal bishop/clergy compensation:

https://www.cpg.org/linkservid/9EA19...55/showMeta/0/

Salary for an Episcopal Bishop | eHow

Before her promotion to bishop, she was likely earning in the high five-figure range. She probably breached the six-figure threshold after becoming bishop, and a comment in this article citing church documents corroborates that:
    https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2015/0...t-2-5-million/
    Last edited by SauronHimself; 10-27-2015 at 04:56 PM.

banned
    Jul 2013
    she's needs 10-15y behind bars.. and never drive again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I doubt they waste their time. She is likley penniless, and without any assets. She will probablly remain essentially that way for the remainder of her life.
    -Elizabeth Howard West

-Jake Watson

untitled
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Well now isn't the big church in Rome in hot water over corruption and r&ping little kids? And hey I have an uncle - the only religious nut in the family, hardcore Baptist sunday school teacher .. turn out he was r&ping a bunch of kids too.

The majority of episodes of American Greed involved a pastor/preacher guy using religion as a way to scam people out of their savings.

I am not saying the fundamentals of the job are about corruption, but that the job attracts the criminals looking for easy prey, people who assume the clergy are somehow less corrupted than the average person

OK I admit I had real bad experiences with churches in my life, they were vortex of evil and suffering to people around me.
    Google, "Christians, Hypatia."
    The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one - BE one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Not only will that learn her but it will let others know that if they do something as horrific as this that they won't get much jail time out of it. That's one of the problems with our justice system, there needs to be examples set as to deter others from DUI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    She'll be off the streets for another three to five years.

Early parole rejected for former Bishop Heather Cook - Baltimore Sun
    It's Mueller Time

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast