Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    merckxman
    Jan 2002

Tom Palermo, framebuilder, killed by car while riding

Happened on Saturday. Driver left scene (came back later). The latest:
    1st female Episcopal bishop of Maryland responsible in fatal hit-and-run | Fox News

Pooped a refrigerator.
    I'm pessimistic about the driver being charged appropriately even if any charges are levied. When I got hit by a drunk driver he left the scene and was chased down by a witness in a pickup truck. He wasn't charged with leaving the scene because the cop was sloppy with his report, yet both the eyewitnesses and my helmet cam video said otherwise. It comes down to the cop at the scene and then the district attorney, and it's no secret how paltry the sentences are for negligent motorists who injure or kill cyclists.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    I'm pessimistic about the driver being charged appropriately even if any charges are levied. When I got hit by a drunk driver he left the scene and was chased down by a witness in a pickup truck. He wasn't charged with leaving the scene because the cop was sloppy with his report, yet both the eyewitnesses and my helmet cam video said otherwise. It comes down to the cop at the scene and then the district attorney, and it's no secret how paltry the sentences are for negligent motorists who injure or kill cyclists.
    But, you weren't killed.

It varies by State, but in MD there are two possibilities for charging just because a motorist killed another, without regard to the possibility for other charges for leaving the scene. IN MD those charges are Manslaughter by Vehicle, and then either (1) with criminal negligence (a misdemeanor), or (2) with gross negligence (a felony). Unless the cyclist did something really stupid (suicide move), I would expect charging under one of the two options, with criminal negligence being the most likely.

The leaving the scene is a separate issue from causing the death of another.

Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
    How does a bishop not know to stop if you hit a bicyclist (or pedestrian for that matter)? She might have been able to render aid or at least call an ambulance immediately. Maybe he'd still be alive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    error

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
    How does a bishop not know to stop if you hit a bicyclist (or pedestrian for that matter)? She might have been able to render aid or at least call an ambulance immediately. Maybe he'd still be alive.
    She knew, and that's probably why she returned 20 min's later.

I can understand how such an accident can be emotionally traumatic for the driver. I saw it happen many moons ago when a high school friend ran over a woman crossing a very busy road on a dark and very rainy night. She drove about another mile before just pulling over and stopping, car in the traffic lane, then left her car and walked up the road until she came to the service station where I was working. She walked in hysterical, screaming she just hit a woman and thought she killed her. We found the victim off the side of the road, unconscious, very seriously injured but not yet dead. She died in the hospital several hours later. My friend was charged with involuntary manslaughter under the state's laws, but not leaving the scene. She wasn't trying to evade or get away or hide from it - just very, very distraught.

I just looked it up - in MD leaving the scene of an accident that results in a death is a felony, and upon conviction subject to imprisonment for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than $ 10,000 or both.

Criminal cases come with many variables. With what little has been reported there is no way of knowing what will happen with the Bishop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    She ran home for confession... She needs to loose her sanctimony card IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    According to a poster on Yahoo board, this lady has a nice prior rapsheet:

This article fails to mention that Cook was arrested in 2010 for DUI (3x legal limit) and possession of marijuana paraphernalia. She was let off with a wrist-slapping "probation before judgment" by the judge, rather than a conviction and other penalties. Could she have fled the scene in order to dispose of additional materials???

The article also fails to mention that road and the adjacent bike lane are in perfect shape, with excellent visibility and clear weather conditions. I myself biked that stretch of road just minutes before this "accident", and there is no safer bike lane on any road anywhere (except for ones that physically separated).

It's shocking that her church is standing up for her after this incident.
    One last update: Other cyclists who came upon the crash scene began searching for the car and person who might have done it. Local reports say they found a car with a smashed windshield. Only later did that car, and Ms. Cook, appear at the crash site. So after getting caught, she figured how to "do the right thing".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    According to a poster on Yahoo board, this lady has a nice prior rapsheet:
    Story from one Baltimore media source. This account makes it look like she's got some 'splainin' to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Another - article on the Bishop, including references to prior DUI and drug charges.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Take a look at Tom's bike. The only visible damage to the front was the rolled tire. However, if you look at the rear, the wheel is damaged more, and the seat stays are really bent. In my opinion, the bishop was probably speeding and absolutely walloped Tom from behind, thereby flipping him backward and causing his head to hit the windshield.

Maryland's first female Episcopal bishop 'kills cyclist in gruesome hit-and-run' | Daily Mail Online

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just read through a bunch of local media reports on this, and a couple of things that consistently stand out are a positive and supportive community for cyclists and cycling, and some serious community outrage over this accident. I certainly don't get any sense of forgiveness or tolerance for Cook.

There isn't much being said about the legal side, other than pointing to the likely Bishop's prior history with DUI and possibly drugs. I would suspect that police would have asked for at least a breathalyzer, if not a full blood sample. If there was ANY indication of alcohol or drug impairment at the time of this accident (Saturday afternoon), and the reports of Cook's history are true, then she will probably be looking at a several felony charges, and if convicted some serious prison time (like 5+ years).

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    Car window; must have been in some state to hit someone and drive away:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tom Palermo, framebuilder, killed by car while riding-car-window.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
    Happened on Saturday. Driver left scene (came back later). The latest:
    1st female Episcopal bishop of Maryland responsible in fatal hit-and-run | Fox News
    So much for clergy setting the example. Yet another example that those who lead us on the pulpit are only human and subject to the same weaknesses as the rest of us

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    So much for clergy setting the example. Yet another example that those who lead us on the pulpit are only human and subject to the same weaknesses as the rest of us
    Speak for yourself. "The rest of us" tend not to be subject to driving hammered or hit & running cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Speak for yourself. "The rest of us" tend not to be subject to driving hammered or hit & running cyclists.
    I meant the Bishop was not setting an example

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    The clergy are more than over-represented in the criminal class. It is a vocation that attracts the worst kind - an opportunity to cheat and manipulate other people in great numbers.

As for killer car drivers and punishment. Just sickening to think about. Here they are likely to get a $100 fine, maybe a years driving suspension. The worst of the worst got only 1 year in jail after doing coke, getting drunk, drive with suspension, and crossing the median to kill a motorcyclist.
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 12-29-2014 at 02:02 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Thanks Jay. I'm one of the rest of us. And I take pride in that. This woman killed someone and fled... And she knew it. This story is just so horrible in so many ways. All best wishes to Tom Pelermo's family, friends and community who lost someone close to them at the hands of a monster.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I live in the area, aside from the obvious that this woman should be charged, and it is a tragedy. This should also be a reminder, that regardless of how experienced we are, and how vigilant we are when riding, we are not invincible. My wife always complains when I use certain roads, and I always tell her that I am experienced and will be fine.. The reality, is completely different... so be careful out there.

Road & Trail Warrior
    What's there to be careful out there for when you're run down from behind?????

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I suppose it could have been knocked off but I don't see any rear light (or front light) on the bike ( not to say that would have saved him)? I ride with front and rear lights day and night and I believe it does help be seen. I use a Dinotte 300R on the rear and have had numerous people say how good they can see it and want to know what kind it is. When it comes time for charges I wonder if he had a video camera that caught the incident?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    It happened in the middle of the afternoon, bright as day.

And as for being careful, it was just a generic statement, chose your routes carefully and such, but you are right, nothing you can do to prevent getting mowed from behind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman View Post
    I ride with front and rear lights day and night and I believe it does help be seen. I use a Dinotte 300R on the rear and have had numerous people say how good they can see it and want to know what kind it is.

I use a 60 lumen rear rechargeable blinky day time also. I have had folks on the bike trail catch up and say they had to see what it was. Most have to work hard to catch me up. ;) Not all though. ;O

I also use a rear mirror inside my glasses lens. But I an sure enough time to get plowed over happens plenty of time between my ganders to the rear I am afraid.

But as to the blinky, I can see in my mirror cars react way back. When I run lengths of roads with no bike lane I am in that mirror almost exclusively. But I am sure on that road he was mowed down in the bike lane I would have not seen her coming. I would only hope to be seen with the 60 lumen blinky angled slightly left. I also do wear bright yellow orange or red tops. I pray I don't get finished off this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

Done
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    The clergy are more than over-represented in the criminal class. It is a vocation that attracts the worst kind - an opportunity to cheat and manipulate other people in great numbers.
    Out of curiosity, do you have any hard data to back up that statement? You know, actual crime stats from a reputable source showing that clergy are arrested and convicted of criminal violations at a higher rate than other professions?
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you have any hard data to back up that statement? You know, actual crime stats from a reputable source showing that clergy are arrested and convicted of criminal violations at a higher rate than other professions?
    Before this thread gets locked or moved to PO, take this conversation to a PM. As much as I enjoy a thumping good religious debate, it's irrelevant here. We have enough problems from anti-cycling motorists trying to stonewall our rights without sewing more discord between ourselves.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast