Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Tour De Fr. Logistics: Where to leave Bike Case

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  CycloPathic 
#1 ·
Myself and two other riders are going to the Tour this summer to ride and watch some stages in the Pyrennees. We are all bringing our bikes. Does anyone have an idea where we could leave our bike cases? There would just not be enough room in a rental mini-van for three bikes and three bike cases. I had thought we could leave them at the airport but, apparently not due to strictor security.

#2 ·
Depending on your itinerary...

If you are staying in hotels, and you are arriving/departing from the same city, book the same hotel on either end of the trip. That way, you can ask the hotel to store it for you until you come back. Ask ahead of time, however, to avoid a surprise.

The other option is to break the bikes down each time that you move, and transport them in their cases. With three bike boxes it still might not fit.

#4 ·
When I did a bike tour in Tuscany, we left the cases and bikes at the Pisa Airport after we got finished and went to Sicily. They charged a nominal fee, but had these complete silly hours requiring us to pick up the bikes the night before we left. Still it was convenient. Perhaps you can pay your hotel to hold them for you as Greg suggests. Another option is to get some cardboard boxes to ship them in and break them down to fit in the van. I honestly think that how you pack it is as important as what you pack it in.

Its sad how those @sshole terrorists have diminished the quality of our lives in so many ways.

#5 ·
ryder1 said:
Myself and two other riders are going to the Tour this summer to ride and watch some stages in the Pyrennees. We are all bringing our bikes. Does anyone have an idea where we could leave our bike cases? There would just not be enough room in a rental mini-van for three bikes and three bike cases. I had thought we could leave them at the airport but, apparently not due to strictor security.
Use card box you can pick one up at LBS. When you get to CdG you can either through boxes or fold them and put in your minivan. If you ditch box you can get new one from airline ~10-15$, just bring packing tape they won't have any. Boxes they sell are bigger they hold bike with wheels so have something to secure bike in box. When pack reinforce corners with duct tape and use foam to cover stays and fork.

Alternatively if you rent a hotel in first and last night in Paris they may let you keep cases in hotel that's what we did. I tried to find storage at airport and railroad station, and it was waste of time, they didn't have anything big enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.