RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Trainer TIre Troubles

I've been riding an indoor Kurt Kinetic trainer for about 5 years. I recently switched over to a Wahoo Snap.

Here's the problem: With the Kurt, I had an older bike with Vredestein TriComps, 700x25 that lasted YEARS both on and off the trainer. No punctures (can you believe that one) and rubber surface still good.

Recently, I had to retire the old bike, got a Synapse 11-speed last August fitted with Schwalbe Luganos, 700x25. For the autumn, I rode outside and inside on the Kurt. No problem - yet. I picked up a Wahoo Snap smart trainer in February, riding maybe 4 - 6 hours total a week.

The Luganos are now TOAST! Rubber delaminating all over the place!

OK, OK, I know, there are trainer-specific tires out there, but, but, what about the TriComps and the terrific longevity?

So, my question is do the Luganos just suck, or is the Wahoo tough on tires?

Another question is, short of buying a spare wheel equipped with a trainer-specific tire, is there a decent tire out there, clincher 700x25 (no tubeless please), that can go either road or trainer? My LBS recommended Challenge, but they seem to be puncture-prone.

I'm tempted to put on the Vredesteins, but they have pretty high rolling resistance and might meet the same fate on the Wahoo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Since I have been riding (~28 years), I always just used an old tire with the trainer (a Kurt Kinetic) and never a problem. Then I got a tire-on smart trainer (Magnus) and on long climbs, the tire just starting de-laminating, probably due to heat. I was always skeptical of trainer tires, but I decided to try one and I am glad I did. I found it to be quieter and less shrill and no issue with heat when climbing up the "Alpe" on Zwift. I have multiple bikes so I just leave one on the trainer during the colder months so switching tires is not a big deal. If you want to go back and forth between road and trainer then the only thing I can think of is try to use less tension on the roller. Of course, a second wheel would be even better

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I just use an old take off tires on the trainer. But I also have a bike that is just for the trainer. Do you still have your old bike? If you do then just use that.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Oddly enough we have a section here titled 'wheels/tires' that would be the perfect place to post this question instead of clogging up general w/ everything imaginable. Makes sense, doesn't it?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Oddly enough we have a section here titled 'wheels/tires' that would be the perfect place to post this question instead of clogging up general w/ everything imaginable. Makes sense, doesn't it?
    I just knew it was coming!!!!
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    My apologies for placing this post in the wrong forum. I failed to notice the section on tires. I'll try there. Thanks for the suggestion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I just knew it was coming!!!!
    Well, now General is all clogged up. Can barely find my way through all the posts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Well, now General is all clogged up. Can barely find my way through all the posts
    Yep, I'm lost in General and can't find my way out.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Yep, I'm lost in General and can't find my way out.
    With 67 forums on RBR I think there are now more forums that there are active posters

RoadBikeReview Member
    With 67 forums on RBR I think there are now more forums that there are active posters
    And let's face it, if it weren't for General and PO, RBR would be dead.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Quote Originally Posted by gmvgmvgmv View Post
    My apologies for placing this post in the wrong forum. I failed to notice the section on tires. I'll try there. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I'm amazed that someone can be a member here for 6 YEARS and not notice that there are a bunch of different and specific sections that cover equally different and specific parts of the bike. Boggles my mind.

Carry on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm amazed that someone can be a member here for 6 YEARS and not notice that there are a bunch of different and specific sections that cover equally different and specific parts of the bike. Boggles my mind.

Carry on.
    Easy, Slugger!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Carry on.
    Don't be amazed, they are probably the same people that voted........oops never mind, wrong forum.
    Last edited by factory feel; 05-16-2018 at 07:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Carry on.
    We should ban him, because we already have plenty of members

I agree with this, the owners could definitely do away w/ a few. But I will stick w/ my feelings that in the 'classic forums' posters should post in the correct section if only because they exist. If the owners change their mind and get rid of them all, then post away in GD...but for now at least make the effort to get it right. Every other forum I'm on has posts moved to the correct sections all the time. This forum is just starting to see some moderating after years of nothing. If the previous mods had done their jobs no one would be saying a thing about my posts because I wouldn't be making them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We should ban him, because we already have plenty of members
    Members or ACTIVE members. If we had plenty of active members, these forums wouldn't be next to dead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I agree with this, the owners could definitely do away w/ a few. But I will stick w/ my feelings that in the 'classic forums' posters should post in the correct section if only because they exist. If the owners change their mind and get rid of them all, then post away in GD...but for now at least make the effort to get it right. Every other forum I'm on has posts moved to the correct sections all the time. This forum is just starting to see some moderating after years of nothing. If the previous mods had done their jobs no one would be saying a thing about my posts because I wouldn't be making them.
    I am not sure that there are many members that feel quite as strongly as you about this, but I do think that having so many rarely used forums (like all the brand-specific forums) adds to the "just put in in General" mindset. People want to have their posts read and putting them in some near-dead forum, isn't going to get the job done. I still think we need more than one forum, but re-organizing them into less folders would be a good step. I agree that the moderating has improved, especially in ending thread that start to get acrimonious

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree that the moderating has improved, especially in ending thread that start to get acrimonious
    What many don't know is that moderators do not routinely police all the posts on these forums. There is no way they can reasonably do that and I doubt they get paid enough to do that. Just responding in the same thread to an inappropriate post will get you nowhere other than blowing off some steam and possibly being entertaining to the other members reading it.

Moderators will respond if a member reports an inappropriate post. You know, click on that little triangle icon with the ! inside it (the one next to the rep icon)? Write your message and click send. That's it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    I just use an old take off tires on the trainer. But I also have a bike that is just for the trainer. Do you still have your old bike? If you do then just use that.
    i don't have a smart trainer but have an old bike set up inside on the fluid trainer with old tires that i rotate off the road bike. I also have used trainer tires that also work well. Probably lasts longer than a general tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What many don't know is that moderators do not routinely police all the posts on these forums. There is no way they can reasonably do that and I doubt they get paid enough to do that. Just responding in the same thread to an inappropriate post will get you nowhere other than blowing off some steam and possibly being entertaining to the other members reading it.

Moderators will respond if a member reports an inappropriate post. You know, click on that little triangle icon with the ! inside it (the one next to the rep icon)? Write your message and click send. That's it!
    I'm on a couple of the largest forums in the world and they're moderated very well, and quickly. One in particular has a GD that sees at least a post a minute and replies in the dozens every couple of minutes and the mods manage to stay on top of it. This place just needs a few more mods, that's all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm on a couple of the largest forums in the world and they're moderated very well, and quickly. One in particular has a GD that sees at least a post a minute and replies in the dozens every couple of minutes and the mods manage to stay on top of it. This place just needs a few more mods, that's all.
    This all may be true. However, more mods means they will need more $$. Combine that with a shrinking post count. That could in turn lead to more annoying forms of advertising like popups, pop unders, animations and full-screen videos you're made to watch before you can even get in - eeegad!

You may think "Oh, no problem, I have an ad blocker". Have you been over to BikeRadar lately? They now won't even let you in unless you remove your ad blocker and watch their videos.

My whole point was it's a whole lot more effective to report a post than it is to reply and b***h about that person's post. Try it, CX. It works!