RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Training on Enve SES 6.7 clinchers: thoughts on the CC debate

Hi there,

Im pretty keen on buying a set of Enve SES 6.7's with a powertap but am slightly concerned about some pragmatic issues:

These wheels costs about $3300 from cycle power meters - they are expensive! I dont believe on spending all that money for a wheel Im only going to use once a fortnight when a race is on. I'd want to have them as a full time training wheelset. (sorry guys, I think its absurd to spend so much money on something your hardly going to use!)

My question is, is it actually practical, safe or sensible to train on such expensive carbon clinchers? Are they durable enough, is the braking performance good enough? Will they withstand the heat buildup? I have read that they do have good breaking performance, but is this "good" relative to other CC's or "good" in an absolute sense?

Now obviously things are going to be different for different wheelsets - I'd particularly value input from someone who owns some Enve's.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride a pair of ENVE 2.45s as my regular wheelset. I have ridden them for over 2 years now. I realize they aren't the newest 6.7s but they have been excellent wheels for me. This last Saturday I rode with a fellow who weighs at least 230 lbs who was riding a pair of 6.7s. He has had them from shortly after they became available and rides them as his regular wheelset. The winds Saturday were quite strong - 23 mph with gusts over 31 as reported by NOAA. He said he hadn't any problems with the wind gusts. Both he and I are using the ENVE grey brake pads. They aren't quite as agressive as the SwissStop Yellow but are more linear in their feel. I realize that the ENVE wheels are expensive but they have been worth it for me.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX