RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

travel bike case

I am looking for a traveling bike hardcase! what are the best out there?

Bike Wing Conspiracy
    My Trico worked well for me. Low profile with wheels. It went to Europe and back and around the country without any damage to the bike.

It got a bit beat up after 6 years or so, but it still works - just aint so pretty and it rolls funny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not a hard case, but my wife and I use Aerus soft cases for airline travel as described in the following article:

DC Rainmaker: How I travel with my bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a trico ironcase that works well. Every time I fly though TSA unpacks it and repacks it incorrectly.

Got it for $100 on craigslist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Pika Packworks case. Not a hard case, but I have no fear about damage - it's very sturdy - used by some pro teams. I've traveled a bunch w it and I'm very happy. It's nice because it's very compact - you can carry it on you shoulder. Some people claim they can get it checked in wout a bike charge because it's so small, but I have not been lucky - the airlines have so far always realized it's a bike.

Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    My wife and i both have a bikeboxalan, it has been around the world and have never had an issue with it. Her bike is carbon and is fully protected. It also takes both a moutnain and road bikes.

you may have to take the fork out, if your geometry is a bit diffrent, but all boxes would be that way

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Polaris Bike Pod is a great hard case. It is sturdy yet quite light - much lighter than other hard cases I've looked at. Chain Reaction Cycles has it for about $360 (so not cheap, but not the most expensive out there).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Did you mean Polaris Bike Pod EVO or PRO? whats the difference between those two anyways!
    How does polaris compare to Bike Box Alan?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zizi View Post
    Did you mean Polaris Bike Pod EVO or PRO? whats the difference between those two anyways!
    How does polaris compare to Bike Box Alan?
    Here's the one at CRC: Polaris Bike POD | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    It is EVA. The only difference I know of with the PRO is that the PRO is more than 2x the price.

chamois creme addict
    I have used the Trico for years. It packs up well and I have never had an issue with damage. I normally take of the rear derailleur and ziptie to the the chainstay, and take the bars out of the stem. Could take stem off fork, but leaving the stem attached keeps everything together. I have had some issues with TSA not getting things completely "right" when put back together but apart from some minor scratching to a rim I have been lucky. I normally travel with a Ti frame.

A friend of mine recently got the BikeND Helium case, this is a softshell that has air bladders that are pumped up. It seems to work well and it is much lighter, plus much more maneuverable than the Trico.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vetboy View Post
    I have a Pika Packworks case. Not a hard case, but I have no fear about damage - it's very sturdy - used by some pro teams. I've traveled a bunch w it and I'm very happy. It's nice because it's very compact - you can carry it on you shoulder. Some people claim they can get it checked in wout a bike charge because it's so small, but I have not been lucky - the airlines have so far always realized it's a bike.

Joe
    +1 on Pika Packworks. Mine has done more than 10 trips all over the world and no damage. I can occasionally get away with not paying a bike fee. Also, remember that TSA seems to always check bikes. the pika pack unzips and they just swab the zip area for explosives without taking anything out and zip right back up. i've lost my helmet in a hard case that was opened. a friend had his case opened and not closed right so an odd sized bolt got loose and slipped out and he lost a day of riding trying to find a replacement and in the worst story, another friend had his 2 part case closed by TSA so carelessly that his carbon cervelo frame cracked.

RoadBikeReview Member

B&w?

Has anyone tried the B&W hard case? It's German so it mist be good right?
    Last edited by dtsinyyc; 03-08-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: removed word
    dtsinyyc
    keep it celeste

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I have used the Pika Packworks with good success as well. It is very sturdy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Alan bike box looks like a good one. I am thinking of getting polaris bike pod pro if I finalize my summer plans to French Pyrenees. The price is steep but worth protecting my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    After seeing the Velonomad review today I ordered the EVOC bike bag from Probikekit.com. Hopefully It'll get my bike to France and back this summer.
    dtsinyyc
    keep it celeste

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Y hardcase?

"Is this carbon?"
    Feb 2012
    Aerus...all the way. And if you're military you may not have to pay extra baggage fees.. Its hit or miss though....otherwise its $50..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I just bought an EVOC semi-rigid bike bag. Looks excellent, German, beuatifully made, cheaper than Polaris.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's my Aerus loaded up today for a trip. Also in the case are 3 cycling outfits, jacket, vest, helmet, gloves, shoes, spare tire, tube, chain, tools, misc accessories. Total weight is under 40 lb.

I cut pieces of PVC pipe to length, put the skewers through them, and install them in the dropouts. I figure this strengths the frame..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails travel bike case-img_0187.jpg  
    Last edited by looigi; 03-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by dtsinyyc View Post
    Has anyone tried the B&W hard case? It's German so it mist be good right?
    I've got an earlier version of the B&W branded by Storck--it was shipped with their anniversary bikes a few years back. It's the angle sided one. Bought it used off someone in Germany who used to work for Storck.

It's a good case--about the quality of instrument cases, and the locking mech is pretty good. So far I have only used it twice and it has worked really well. Having the slightly reduced dimension on the 'top' side makes it easier to load and unload.

For the OP--look on craigslist--I see them listed fairly frequently, and that's where I will sell my soft side case when I can unpack the stuff that is in it.
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

PedalDancer
    Sep 2011
    I use a Thule bike case - Thule*-*Thule BikeCase 836. Have only used it a few times, but was very happy with it.

Few sites that may help or confuse you more:

CycleZine Bike Travel Cases Reiew on NYT

CycleZine Cyclezine Baller tips on travel with your Bike.
    Last edited by pivo; 03-12-2012 at 08:48 AM.