RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017

Trek crossrip equivalent

Looking to get a second bike, have a road bike and I'm interested in the trek crossrip. Basically need for urban commuting, along with occasional trail runs that my road bike wouldn't be too good for. I don't hear too many favorable reviews about it. So I'm looking for something that compares to it but at better value for my money. Want the disc brakes and like the drop down bars with brakes on both the drop and horizontal parts of the bar. Any input would be great. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    It depends on what kind of geometry you want and how much road vs. trail riding you plan to do. If you want a race-like/cyclo frame with 35c or narrower tires... a Cannondale CAADX 105 or Tiagra would be ideal. If you want an endurance/gravel-style frame with wider tires (40c)... I have the Motobecane Omni Strada Comp with 105 components and it's fantastic.
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    Thank you, great info. Being new to serious bike riding I was kinda stuck on name brands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynas23 View Post
    Thank you, great info. Being new to serious bike riding I was kinda stuck on name brands.
    Another vote for the Motobecane... I have the cheaper Omni Strada with Claris components. $500 and it gets more ridden more then my Trek Domane. It's good on gravel or pavement and a fraction of the price of all the friend's bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    Another vote for the Motobecane... I have the cheaper Omni Strada with Claris components. $500 and it gets more ridden more then my Trek Domane. It's good on gravel or pavement and a fraction of the price of all the friend's bikes.
    Cool. You have good taste. I also have the Trek Domane S5 along with my Motobecane Omni Strada. I went with Motobecane for gravel riding, because it was more practical than paying twice or three times as much for a Trek Boone or Crockett. Nothing against the Boones and Crocketts... they are fine bikes.
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Catch them on one of their 20-30% off sales, and the Mongoose bikes are a solid deal.
    Gravel Grinder Road Bikes

I built up a Comp for a friend that got it for $650 shipped. Ton's of bike for the money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    I suggest you look at a Kona.. 2015 Sutra – Black P2 Fork – KONA or others they offer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As Hypercycle said, it all depends on which type of position you like. Do you like a low aggressive race type geometry or do you like a more relaxed upright endurance geometry.

The segment of the market you are looking into:

Cyclocross Bike - Low race type geometry. Examples are Trek Crossrip and Cannondale CAADX.

Gravel/Adventure Bike - More upright relaxed geometry. Examples are GT Grade, Jamis Renegade, Scott Addict Gravel, Giant Revolt and Norco Search.

Here is a good article on gravel bikes:

17 of the best 2017 gravel & adventure bikes — super-versatile bikes that are at home on lanes, potholed streets and dirt roads | road.cc
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynas23 View Post
    Want the disc brakes and like the drop down bars with brakes on both the drop and horizontal parts of the bar.
    I think you can only do that with mechanical brakes whereas most are going to hydraulic. I had them on my old Sequoia and do miss them on my current bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    I think you can only do that with mechanical brakes whereas most are going to hydraulic. I had them on my old Sequoia and do miss them on my current bikes.
    That's my only reservation about hydraulic brakes. Going down a steep hill, I prefer to be on my inline brakes.
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger